008

A Royal Pain In The

 

 

Heeji looked at her reflection, she was dressed in red dress that was just a few inches above her ankle and showed a bit of her arms, modest enough to meet the royals.

She sat in front of her vanity and looked at her reflection and leaned her elbows heavily.

“Going home? Seoul?”

“Where else? Do you want to? Even just for a short time?” He asked while twirling a lock of her hair in his long slender fingers.

“That sounds difficult.” She made a face as she leaned back on the couch, he grinned and just wrapped one arm around her before grabbing the remote control.

“Aigoo, my special girl, she doesn’t want to go home. Are you suggesting we elope?” He mused, Heeji made a face and slapped his arm.

He laughed.

“I have class later, can you come pick me up?” She asked as she stood up.

“Of course.” He nodded before kissing the back of her hand.

Heeji looked away from her reflection.

“Heeji?”

She glanced behind her, her mother was looking at her expectantly. She stood up, picked up her Bottega Veneta clutch.

“Are you ready? I like this dress on you.” The elder smiled as she reached her.

“Yes, we should go, eomma.” She nodded quietly.

 

 

Taeyong had a polite and measured smile as the Jungs stepped in the room, he caught Heeji’s eye briefly.

“Heeji, come and say your greetings.” Mr. Jung ushered her over, the girl walked to the two royals and bowed.

“Samchon~”

“Pyeha.” Her mother corrected, Heeji puffed her cheeks, annoyed. The king and queen laughed.

“It’s okay, you always did call us that since before.” He said as the queen took Heeji’s hands in hers.

“You’ve grown into such a beautiful woman, Heeji. And,” The queen waved her son over, Taeyong gave a polite bow to the Jung elders.

“Call me eommonim, you can call me wanghu when there are other people.” She added conspiringly.

“Yes, I will, wanghu mama.” She nodded, aware of the two palace maids in the room.

“Then, dinner?” The king asked.

 

 

“Find any other loopholes?” Heeji hummed as they followed the elders, Taeyong glanced at her briefly.

“You don’t look so well. Are you feeling okay?” He asked.

“I’m fine, I’m just wondering,” Heeji stated as they reached the imperial gardens, her eyes travelled to the bridge over the pond.

“Taeyong-ah, can we~”

“Yeah, we can.” Taeyong offered his arm to her, she chuckled before walking past him and hopping towards the bridge herself, the prince saw the two guards blink in surprise.

Heeji looked at the water and smiled.

“I never got to ask you.” She started as Taeyong reached her.

“What?”

“Marrying me…wont hurt anyone?” She asked softly, Taeyong stilled, Heeji took one glance at her then she started smiling.

“It will, huh?”

“Heeji,~”

“I wont say anything. I just wanted to know. So, I therefore announce, well just to the two of us.” She said while grinning, she lifted herself up on the barricade and let her heeled feet dangle slightly.

Taeyong blinked at her, he saw some palace maids halt in worry.

“What are you going to announce? Is this dress waterproof? Because if you fall~”

“You two shouldn’t break up because of me. Continue what you have, I’m just an accessory for you and the throne.” She said frankly, Taeyong sighed and just held onto her wrist.

“Heeji, you’re a person, not an ac~”

“Metaphors, seja. Metaphors!” She rolled her eyes at him, he almost chuckled.

“I won’t be an obstacle to you, that is what I’m saying. I’m cool like that.” She winked at him.

“Yes, very cool.” Taeyong nodded, she chuckled before leaping down the barricade, Taeyong let go of her.

“Introduce her to me sometime, I need more female friends.” She mused before looping her arm around his.

“How about you? No person who’ll get hurt?” He asked as they walked towards the canopy.

“Nobody, lucky you.” She smiled before looking away.

“Yeah, I’m way too lucky, it doesn’t feel right.” He said teasingly.

“It should be this way, us talking like old friends.” She said approvingly, Taeyong smiled.

“Back then, the only problem we had was whether they’d allow us to play outside the palace.” Taeyong stated softly.

“That was your problem, mine was whether I was going to be stuck you for the whole afternoon.” She chuckled, Taeyong snorted.

“But, you’ll let me meet her, okay?”

“Why the curiosity?” He asked as they reached the elders, Heeji smiled before dusting off the lint on his shoulder.

“I just want to explain to her, about this plan of ours. I hate misunderstandings, seja.”

Taeyong just brushed a lock of her hair off her shoulder before pulling the chair for her.

“Anything for Jung Heeji.”

 

 

Heeji almost dropped her spoon, her eyes went to the queen dowager then to her parents.

“Next week?” Taeyong was the one who spoke first.

“Yes, it will be next week, seja. We’ve been preparing for the ceremony for two months now.”

“Two months?” Heeji echoed, her father sent her a look.

“And you never bothered to tell us two months before, halmamama?” Taeyong replied, the king glanced at him briefly.

“Seja,”

“You were preparing everything, planning everything, I even let go of the fact that you dropped this bomb on me in such a rash manner, but this,” Taeyong stood up.

Heeji paused, her mother had put her utensils down.

“Seja, sit down.” The queen stated, Taeyong just went around the table and grabbed Heeji’s wrist.

“Ya.” She mumbled, Taeyong just pulled her up and dragged her away from the group.

 

 

Heeji wrapped her arms around herself as she followed Taeyong, he didn’t speak a word ever since they left the elders at the gardens.

Heeji had no words, the fact that they had been preparing for the wedding for two months shocked her, but in a way, she kind of had it coming. If she was informed beforehand, surely she would try to escape, try to run.

But two months ago, she still had him. She still had someone to run to.

“Does that make sense?” Taeyong suddenly turned to her, she halted.

“Honestly, it does.” She replied and looked around them, the area seemed familiar to her.

“Heeji, they had this plan moving since~”

“Seja, I know. I fully understood what they said. But,” She faced him, not flinching as the chilly breeze touched her arms.

“Like you said, this has no escape. No loophole, so getting angry now, acting up..wont get us anywhere.”

Taeyong looked at her, trying to grasp some remnants of an old friend.

“Who are you?” He spoke, Heeji paused.

“Heeji, why are you giving up right away? This is isn’t you.” He stated, she looked away.

“I have no choice, Taeyong. I’m a girl, I have to follow my elders.” She shrugged.

“Ani, this doesn’t sound like the girl who jumped off the school building, or the girl who challenged professor Song, not even the girl who scolded the king when we were six when he accidentally stepped on a palace maid’s foot.”

Heeji didn’t meet his gaze.

“Taeyong now’s not the time.” Heeji spoke.

“You weren’t like this, the old Heeji~”

“The old Heeji’s gone, okay? So if you want to rant or howl in anger, don’t do it in front of me. Leave.” Heeji snapped, she reached for her clutch and took out a key, he tossed it to Taeyong, it bounced off his chest and dropped on the grass.

“Escape if you want. Just don’t try to get on my nerves, I’ve had enough of arguments.” She stated before turning away from him.

Taeyong looked at the key on the ground, he bent down and picked it up.

“I’m serious, go. You need to release all that for tomorrow.” Heeji spoke again, Taeyong looked at her.

“Heeji, I’m~”

“Salted caramel.” She spoke while walking backwards.

“What?” Taeyong blinked at her, confused.

“If you’re really sorry, bring over salted caramel ice cream tomorrow. Then I’ll probably let this one go.” She winked before jogging back to the west gardens.

Taeyong just shook his head before ducking under the vines.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++