024

A Royal Pain In The

 

“Taeyong-ah, my thighs hurt.” Heeji half-whined as they walked towards the elders of his family, both were dressed in traditional wedding clothes, and the headpiece on her head made her want to lie down and cry. The ceremony had taken almost two hours; there were so many strange traditions that the royal family upheld that all through out the event, Heeji felt like she was a student, learning new things.

And the amount of eyes on them made her feel iffy, a chosen few from the media were also there to document everything.

“We’re almost done.” Taeyong whispered calmly, he discreetly offered one hand to her, ignoring the protocol of no touching as they slowly knelt down in front of the elders.

“We thank you for gracing us with your presence and light, pyeha.” Taeyong spoke as the couple bowed.

Heeji could hear the clicks coming from the cameras surrounding them, she sat straightly and smiled at the queen.

“Thank you for accepting me, taehu mama.” She said politely.

“It is I who should thank you, bigung.” She reached down to place her hand over hers, Heeji just smiled back.

“Your parents next.” Taeyong murmured as he stood up, Heeji followed and saw her parents along with her grandmother, she was holding onto her deceased husband’s portrait.

“So, you want me to thank my grandfather for putting me in this ridiculous situation~”

“Heeji, please.” Taeyong had to stop himself from chuckling due to her continuous babbling.

“After this, we get to eat?”

“Whoa, you just become crown princess and the only thing in your mind now is food?”

“Yup.”

 

 

Ahyoung stared at the TV screen as the clips from the grand wedding flashed before her.

“This isn’t right. That’s my spot.” Ahyoung murmured as she picked up her glass of wine.

Her phone pinged, she picked up the device.

Hi, dear. Sorry about what happened earlier. Please know that halmae only means well. We don’t want people talking about you. – Eomma

She grunted and tossed her phone back on the coffee table.

“You just don’t want people to notice me, because Heeji has always been the favorite.” She murmured as she stood up.

She walked to her bedroom and reached for a box underneath her bed, she smiled as she opened it and poured its contents on her bed.

“Well, I’m not going to let you take him away from me.” She said as she picked up one of the many photos she has of her and Taeyong.

 

 

“As always, perfect.” Jaerin smiled as she stood behind her friend, Heeji was staring at her reflection, and she was already wearing the Giambattista Valli gown that was especially made for her.

Heeji exhaled and shook her head.

“After this, my whole life changes.” She recited as she stepped down from the pedestal, the two palace maids entered the room, they curtsied as they reached her.

“Mama, it’s time.”

Heeji looked at her friend helplessly, Jaerin smiled before opening her arms to her.

“You can do this, bigung mama.” She smiled as Heeji hugged her back.

Heeji stepped out of the room, the two maids followed behind her, and then she paused when she saw Taeyong coming out of the room.

He looked at her briefly before crossing the hall.

“Feeling better?” He asked as he reached her, the two maids bowed politely before stepping away.

“Well, my head doesn’t feel like being pounded on.” She shrugged and looked at the white and champagne pink shades of her dress.

“It’s crazy, huh?” Taeyong said as he offered his arm to her, Heeji rolled her eyes and just looped her arm around his.

“What is?”

“Years ago, we were running around in this very building with dirt on our faces,” He gestured around them, she grinned and shook her head.

“And now, I ended up being hwangsejaebi mama.”

Taeyong chuckled and just leaned over to straighten her earring.

“We’ll survive this, right?” She asked him.

“We will.” He said as they reached the wooden doors.

 

 

“She’s not here,” Jaerin murmured to Jaehyun as she sat down.

“I heard from the elders she can’t come. Halmae was against it.”

Jaerin looked around, she saw Johnny and Ten leaving their table and making their way to the royal couple.

“It still..shocks me up to now, Ahyoung and Taeyong.” She murmured, Jaehyun leaned back on his seat.

“Maybe it’s right that she’s not here. I don’t like seeing her.” He stated, Jaerin frowned.

“Ja~”

“Hello, cousins.” Heeji had reached them, Jaehyun stood up to greet her.

“Noona, I can hear you complaining at the ceremony earlier.”

“That was very mature of you, Jung Heeji.” Yunho smiled and cupped her cheek briefly.

Taeyong chuckled behind her.

“Congratulations, jeoha. Please, please, please, take care of my friend. She can be difficult sometimes but..she’s worth it.” Jaerin nodded at him.

“I know.” Taeyong smiled, he looked up and saw the queen dowager retreating back to the west palace.

“Are the adults leaving?” Heeji turned to him. Taeyong had one palm on her back as she moved around. Taeyong gave their friends a small nod before following her.

Jaerin paused, looking at the two made her realize something.

“They look good together.” She whispered to herself, and then she felt someone nudge her.

“Johnny,”

“Wanna play cupid?”

“You do know that the prince, your best friend is still together with Ah~”

“I’ve been saying the same thing.” Ten pointed out.

“I never really liked her, besides, T-yongie is married to Batman bigung now.” Johnny said airily.

“Hmm, makes sense, Samsung dolunim.” Jaerin stretched one palm to her.

Oh my god.” Ten shook his head.

“Here’s to our new plan, Jaerin.” Johnny shook her hand.

 

 

Heeji exhaled as they reached their quarters in the east wing, Taeyong loosened his tie and she sloppily stepped down from her heels and walked barefoot towards her room.

“Mama,” The maids started to worry, but Taeyong shook his head at them.

“Get some rest, we’ll call if we need anything.”

The two maids bowed before leaving, Taeyong picked up her shoes and followed her to the room.

“Can I come in?” Taeyong asked from the door.

“Yeah.”

He stepped in and found her lying on the bed, with a wet wipe on her cheek, he chuckled and plopped down on the divan across her.

“Mwohae?” He asked.

“I’m trying to remove my makeup, and then it hit me,” She sat up and pulled up her tube dress, Taeyong politely looked away.

“Whoa, I’m about to live a sheltered life, I mean, no offense, to you,”

“None taken.” He mused.

“But, I’m not used to this, you know, people waiting on me, watching my every move, it’s just…crazy.”

Then Taeyong stood up and sat down beside her.

“Johnny arranged a party for us tonight.”

Heeji blinked in surprise.

“Shall we?” He nudged her playfully.

“This is why I love Johnny. He knows how to get us in trouble.” She chuckled.

“Get dressed. We’ll leave when you’re ready.” Taeyong mussed her hair before standing up.

“Leave…as in escape?” Heeji asked hesitantly.

“What else?”

“You’d do that?” She blinked at him.

 

 

“Anything for Jung Heeji.” He winked before leaving the room.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++