Unconscious

First Love

The next day, Jihyo spent her day at home as she was feeling down from her heartbreaking encounter with Kwangsoo yesterday. She kept on getting teary even though she tries to hold it in. Jihye, who saw her still aching from the incident, went over and comforted her, wrapping his arms around Jihyo. He could feel she was becoming slimmer day by day. He decided to make her a feast for dinner to cheer her up. 

 

Jihye: Jihyo-ah

Jihyo: Ne...? What is it oppa...

Jihye: I'm going out for a while to buy some food so I can make dinner, will you be okay alone here?

Jihyo: Ne... I'll be fine oppa... Don't worry

Jihye: Ok then, open the windows and get some fresh air, I'll be right back, call me if you need anything okay?

 

That late afternoon, Jihye went downstairs and headed to the market. He looked around for Jihyo's favorite foods. He finally stopped at a shop ready to pay, just then he realized he forgot his wallet at home. He called Jihyo to bring it down for him and planned to meet at the crossroad. He paitiently waited on the busy streets as the sky gradually became dark. He waved happily as he saw Jihyo across the street, waiting for the traffic light. Just then, he saw a familiar figure walk by, staggering along the streets, unsteadily tumbled onto the road to cross the street. It was Kwangsoo, heavily drunk. He glanced at Jihyo, he could see that Jihyo also saw Kwangsoo. At that moment, a truck is headed towards this road as Kwangsoo stumbled in the middle of the road. Terrified, Jihye was about to rush out, but he was standing too far away, Jihyo got to him first. In a split second, he realized Jihyo who also saw the truck coming, ran out to the middle of the road, pushing Kwangsoo away from the road to save him, but got hit by the truck herself instead. Horror-struck, Jihye immediately ran to Jihyo's side only to see blood endlessly flowing out. He pulled her on his lap, trying to wake her up, but she was unconcious. He called an ambulance right away and kept Jihyo tighty in his embrace. 

 

Jihye: Jihyo... no... Jihyo-ah... Can you hear me...? Jihyo... *sobs*

 

Jihye looked over to see Kwangsoo only mildly hurt, but unconcious from the alcohol. He followed then to the hospital after they were carried onto the ambulance. He sat outside the emergency room, his face was drenched in tears with Jihyo's blood all over his shirt. He anxiously paced at the door for hours, his heart raced as he saw a doctor coming out. 

 

Jihye: Jihyo... how is she...? Is she okay? You saved her right...?

Doctor: Her condition now is stable, but she did lose a lot of blood, we cannot guarentee anything until she wakes up

Jihye: Thats a relief... but... When will she wake up...?

Doctor: That... I'm not sure either.. It depends, she could wake up very soon, or she may never wake up...

Jihye: ...

Doctor: Don't worry too much for now, I shall take my leave first

Jihye: Ne... Thank you doctor... 

 

Jihye walked into Jihyo's hospital room, he gently brushed his fingers against Jihyo's soft cheek. Tears rolled down his face non-stop seeing his good friend in a state like this.

 

Jihye: Jihyo-ah... This is all my fault... I'm so sorry... If it weren't for me you would never have gotten into an accident like this...

 

Just then, he heard light footsteps approaching. He turned to see Kwangsoo in his patient gown walking into the room teary eyed. Their eyes met as Kwangsoo recognized a friend he hasn't seen in a long time.

 

Kwangsoo: Jihye hyung...!

Jihye: Kwangsoo-ah... How ru feeling...?

Kwangsoo: I'm alright... I heard about what happened... So Jihyo noona was staying with you all along... So it was you who was with her that day...? Stupid me... why did I acuse her of having a new boyfriend... Noona... is she okay...? 

Jihye: Kwangsoo-ah... She's fine for now... but you're a patient too... You should go back to your room and get some rest...

Kwangsoo: But noona...

Jihye: Don't worry... I'll look after her... I'll tell you once she wakes up, okay...? So get some rest Kwangsoo-ah...

Kwangsoo: Okay... Thanks hyung... and thank you for taking care of her too...

Jihye: No problem, she's my friend too you know, not just your girlfriend, I'm not sure if you know this... but she still loves you a lot...

Kwangsoo: Really...?

Jihye: Why else would she sacrifice herself just to save you...?

Kwangsoo: What if she doesn't wake up... It's all because of me...

Jihye: Calm down... Its not your fault... She won't want you to feel guilty either, she saved you because she believes it is worthy of her life as long as you are safe...

Kwangsoo: Okay... Hyung... are you okay...? I saw you were crying earlier too...

Jihye: Yea... I just feel so bad seeing her in this condition and there's nothing I can do... She's a really important friend to me... Even though we haven't seen each other for years, we can be as close as we used to be in just 2 days... I guess being here in Paris can be quite lonely too... Most of my old friends are still in Korea...

Kwangsoo: I see... Well, I think the doctor wants me back... Hyung, please update me about Jihyo noona... Nothing can happen to her... I won't ever allow it... She... She is my everything...

Jihye: I understand Kwangsoo-ah, get more rest...

 

Jihye went home to shower and changed into clean clothes. He headed back the the hospital to look after Jihyo. He saw Jong Kook comforting the crying Kwangsoo in his hospital room. Feeling slightly relieved that his friend has someone to rely on, he went to Jihyo's room and sat next to her quietly. He watched her all night, patiently waiting for her to wake up.