Hurt

First Love

This morning, Jihyo was up surprisingly early. She was still lying on Kwangsoo, who was asleep next to her. Afraid of waking him, Jihyo did not move, she continued to lay on the hospital bed, but she just couldn't fall back to sleep. She stared into empty space, dozing off into her thoughts. She thought about what she had heard last night.

 

-----Flashback-----

She was tired and nearly asleep as she was being hypnotised by Kwangsoo's soothing voice. Somehow it was unexpected, but Kwangsoo's voice was amazing when singing ballads, it had the power to comfort her and calm her. Just as she was about to fall asleep, she felt Kwangsoo gently caressing her cheeks. She kept her eyes closed as she felt her heart beating quickly when feeling Kwangsoo's touch. She did not understand as it wasn't the first time Kwangsoo has touched her, she sees him as a brother so she was never cautious against any form of natural skinship with him. She had grown to be comfortable with Kwangsoo that she was unaware of the implications behind Kwangsoo's touch. Just as she was about to respond to Kwangsoo, he began talking. Jihyo missed the chance to let him know she was actually still awake, accidentally listening his sweet yet heartbreaking confession. As she heard Kwangsoo sobbing, how much she wanted to reach up and pull Kwangsoo into a hug, to apologize for being unaware of his feelings, causing him to be hurt as she often talked about her love for another person in front of him. But she knew that Kwangsoo didn't mean for her to hear this, she couldn't possibly sit up all of a sudden and tell Kwangsoo she heard everything he said. It broke her heart to know how much Kwangsoo was suffering, but she could not do anything at the moment. Quietly, Jihyo whispered into the air.

 

Jihyo: Nae kirin... I'm so sorry... Noona is sorry... Why didn't you tell me... How painful it must have been for you Kwangsoo-ah... But what do I do...?

 

------Flashback------

 

Jihyo felt confused as she recalled how much Kwangsoo had cared for her in the past few months, she realized how his actions were showing but she had never realized. Jihyo didn't know what to do, she does not want Kwangsoo to suffer anymore from the pain she had caused him to feel. She was confused to how she felt, she was sure she still loved Kun Yang, but she couldn't help but wonder, is a part of her starting to fall for Kwangsoo...?

She had grown to rely on him, a lot. She felt comfortable and happy whenever she was with him. When she is happy, she would love to share it with him, and when she is sad, she would feel better from pouring out her heart towards Kwangsoo. She smiled as she now noticed how considerate Kwangsoo has been to her, she was grateful, and she could feel his sincerity towards her. She thought about Kwangsoo's confession last night, about how he was willing to give up his love just to see her happy. She was deeply moved but it broke her heart, she knew too well how much it would hurt to try and forget someone you truly love, how much more if you would have to meet and care for that person almost everyday?

She knew the only way for Kwangsoo to hurt less is either to accept his feelings, or keep a certain distance with him. She knew as of now, she was too confused with her feelings, she was not ready to accept Kwangsoo's feelings just yet. That would leave her with no choice but to stay as far as she could from Kwangsoo, even if it meant it could hurt him, for the long run, it would be easier for him to forget her, just like how Kun Yang had distance himself from her.

She was now able to fully understand why Kun Yang oppa had chose to leave her like that, he had no choice. She couldn't hold her saddness with all of this, this dilemma was driving her crazy, but she can no longer burst into tears in front of Kwangsoo, and especially not because of this matter. 

Her eye layed on the innocent but yet mature giraffe who was sleeping soundly. It was obvious from his puffy and swolen eyes that he had been crying last night. Jihyo pulled up the blanket to keep Kwangsoo warm, she took a deep breath as she understood she would have to force herself to distance away from Kwangsoo no matter how much she didn't want to. Her heart was weak, but she has to be determined, for the sake of Kwangsoo. 

 

Jihyo: Kwangsoo-ah... Noona is truly sorry... Sorry for hurting you in the past, for right now, and for the future as well... Nae kirin ah... Wait, no... I can't call him that... Kwangsoo... you'll understand right...? I hop you can forgive me... Don't be like noona and dwell over the past, it wouldn't do you any good, you will just end up like me... unable to forget, and always waiting... waiting for nothing... Noona is blessed to be your love, but your effort shouldn't be wasted on me... You have a good heart, its time for you to move on... 

 

Jihyo closed her eyes as she could feel her eyes getting teary, she had to stay strong, for the sake of her giraffe. She watched as Kwangsoo slowly got up from his sleep. Kwangsoo was surprised to see Jihyo already awake. 

 

Kwangsoo: Oh? Noona, you're already awake?? That isn't like you, you normally sleep till noon and still think its not enough sleep!! What has gotten into the sleepy head that you woke up so early?

 

Kwangsoo teased his noona as he braced himself to be scolded and have his hair being grabbed. He was surprised to see Jihyo having no paticular response. Little did he know that Jihyo was actually trying her best to restrain herself from doing so. 

 

Jihyo: Nothing, I wasn't tired so I woke up. 

Kwangsoo: Eii, noona you must be still feeling weak since you didn't pull my hair? How are you feeling now? Should I go call the doctor to check on you?

Jihyo: Its alright, I'll be discharged from the hospital at noon, I've already told my manager to come and pick me up. 

Kwangsoo: Why trouble your manager noona? Just ride my car! Its still in the parking lot, I have to go home if you're going home anyways, don't you remember? You're the patient here, itsnot like I'll be staying here after you've left, we're going to the same place!

Jihyo: About that, I think its time for you to move back to your own home, I'm all recovered now so I don't need to be taken care of, thank you for staying with me, but from now on I can manage by myself. 

Kwangsoo: Why noona? I like staying at your house, it isn't as boring, its so lonely to stay home alone anyways. 

Jihyo: I just don't want to trouble you anymore, and I need my own privacy too, so you don't need to stay with me anymore, you can just go home and rest now, you must've been tired taking care of me these few days. I'll pack up your things at my house and tell my manager to send it over to you. 

Kwangsoo: Noona! How many times have I said it? We're like family aren't we? I know you're comfortable with me staying at your house! You've told me many times how lonely it is to return to an empty house too! It will never be a burden or trouble for me to care for you noona... So why are you doing this? It was all good, so why act like this all of a sudden? 

Jihyo: Its simple, I wanna be alone at home, I don't need you anymore, is that clear enough? 

 

Kwangsoo was stunned at his noona's words, he was so shocked at how sudden her decision was, the woman in front of his eyes was not the noona he knew, he could tell from her eyes that this was not what she wanted, he does not undertsnad, but he knew her well enough to know she did not mean what she said, but he admit it hurt, it hurt him sharply. He walked away in grief, not knowing how to react, confused and hurt, he went home, not Jihyo's home, but his real home. 

As she saw Kwangsoo finally walking away, Jihyo broke into tears, pleading Kwangsoo to forgive her, she had not meant to hurt him so sharply, but she could not back down, even if it meant making Kwangsoo hate her, she had to make sure Kwangsoo could forget her and move on.