Death Anniversary

First Love

Dear Readers, Sorry it took me this long to finally update this story. I have been very busy for the past months since I was having public exams and it was my senior year. I know a lot of you have been anticipating for a new chapter, and many of you have been asking for an update too, so here you go. I hope you'll enjoy it! I will try to keep on updating regularly as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding!!


Life went on as months passed by since Jihyo's return. Since her last disappearance, she has been recieving hate for being irresoonsible, but some fans also stood by her side, defending and supporting her. Though people in the industry sympathizes her, most of them have no choice but to refuse casting Jihyo in projects in order to prevent similar situations from arising again and avoid the viewers' hates. Running Man has also suffered from hate and low ratings due to the incident. However, Jihyo stayed strong with the members' support and continued with mostly just Running Man in her schedule, only meeting Kwangsoo weekly for filming. The two began to grow more comfortable with each other and interacted like the normal siblings they were. Although most of the awkwardness between them faded, there was still a certain extent of it that just won't go away. 

This day, Jihyo woke up exceptionally early. It was Kun Yang's death anniversary. With a heavy heart, she held the necklace that Kun Yang oppa gave her many years ago tightly against her heart and closed her eyes. A tear rolled down her cheek as she lowered her head.

 

Jihyo: Kun Yang oppa... How have you been...? I've been well, Have you? You know, you've never left my heart, I really really miss you... I did the right thing coming back right...? I still don't know if I made the right decision, but I remember you once said that no decisions are entirely right, neither side will be 100% correct, but as long as I've decided on one side, just go with it, and never regret it, right...? Will I ever be able to move on from Kwangsoo...? And will he be able to move on from me as well...? Please help me oppa... If only you were here beside me right now... Didn't you promise to stay by my side Kun Yang oppa, so why...? Why did you just leave like that... I didn't even get the chance to tell you once again how much I regret what I said at the airport that day, and how much you mean to me... Sigh, but I know, if you were here you'd say I'm being silly, right...? You'd say that I should just forget about it and stop regretting when it won't change things... That's right... I can do it, for you Kun Yang oppa, I'll stay strong and get through all of this... 

 

She took a deep breath, brushed away her tears and put on the necklace. With a pre-ordered flower bouquet, she left home and headed towards the metro station.

At the cemetery, she carefully laid the flowers next to his grave and mourned for losing her oppa. She missed him so much that her legs felt weak as she kneeled on the ground with her face covered in tears. All of a sudden, she heard a familiar voice call her name from behind.

 

Jihyo: It can't be... Surely it won't be...?

 

She stood up and turned around to see Kwangsoo standing in front of her with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. 

 

Kwangsoo: So it really is you noona, what a coincidence!

Jihyo: Oh, Kwangsoo-ah, you're here too?

Kwangsoo: Of course, how can I not come on such an important day...

Jihyo: Right, yea of course... *wipes off her tears*

Kwangsoo: Jihyo noona... Are you okay...? *hands her a tissue*

Jihyo: Yea... I'm fine, I guess...

 

This was the first time the two met in private with no one else around since Jihyo returned to Korea. They were always able to act normal with the other members around, but with only the two of them, the atmosphere quickly filled with awkwardness. Jihyo panicked as she didn't know how to react to this awkwardness, nor did she want Kwangsoo to see her in this state. Without a word, she quickly ran to leave, but Kwangsoo caught up with her and held onto her just in time. 

 

Kwangsoo: Wait!! Don't go yet... Noona, I know it feels weird, but you don't have to run away from me, I'm still your friend right? Friends share sadness too, so don't hide. I know how upset you must be... So, here's a shoulder for you to lean on, as friends, just like old times, okay...?

Jihyo: Okay, thank you Kwangsoo-ah...

 

After hesitating for a few moments, Jihyo finally gave in and leaned onto his shoulder. She knew it was awkward and weird, but she needed the comfort and security from Kwangsoo's arms around her, she desperately needed someone to rely on, and right now, no one could possibly understand how she feels more than Kwangsoo does. She kept on sobbing, hiding away in his embrace. After a while, she calmed down and stepped away from Kwangsoo. Kwangsoo's face fell as he could sense Jihyo keeping her distance once again, but went along with it anyways. They shared a quiet lunch together, both trying to make conversation, but still ended up with an awkward silence. They then took the metro home together. It was crowded with people but they both had caps, sunglasses and masks on so no one recognized them. To avoid the awkwardness with Kwangsoo, Jihyo decided to put on her earphones and listen to music. She held onto the pole, but it was difficult to keep her balance with so many people in the train as people around her kept pushing. Seeing this, Kwangsoo stood behind Jihyo and protectively spread his arms around her without actually touching her or letting her see, to keep her from falling and getting squashed. Knowing that he was still able to protect Jihyo from behind, he was happy enough, he smiled as he continued to wach Jihyo while standing behind her. To Kwangsoo, making sure Jihyo is safe is all that ever mattered to him. 

At Ilsan station, Jihyo got off the train. She was surprised to see that Kwangsoo was still behind her.

 

Jihyo: What are you still doing here? Didn't the train pass by the stop for you to get home long ago already? Why are you getting off here?

 

Kwangsoo had only thought about making sure Jihyo was safe and that he didn't want to leave Jihyo's side, he completely forgot that he would have to explain to Jihyo why he's taking her home as they're no longer a couple now. He was fluttered as he glanced away avoiding eye contact with Jihyo and sputtered. 

 

Kwangsoo: Umm... Its uh... Because... Cuz... Its on the way, yeah. I'm not taking you home, its just, where I'm heading towards too.

Jihyo: On the way...? Ya! Lee Kwangsoo!! Who are you trying to fool?? How is this on the way to ur home?? This is totally a detour!! *smacks him on the head*

Kwangsoo: It is!! It really is! I'm not lying noona...

Jihyo: Alright then, you better not be! Thanks for today Kwangsoo-ah... I'll be leaving then, bye~

Kwangsoo: Bye Jihyo noona, get home safe~

 

Jihyo knew exactly why Kwangsoo was doing this, and it was obvious that he's just trying to find an excuse, but she played along anyways to prevent things becoming awkward between them again. Truthfuly, she was grateful she ran into Kwangsoo today, although it was awkward, she really needed him beside her on a day like this. No matter how strong she is, her heart is still fragile at times like these, and she was glad Kwangsoo was there to comfort her and accompany her home.