I'll Smile Even If It Hurts

First Love

Weeks after, Jihyo woke up on a early morning. Different from her usual sleepy self, she was tired, but already wide awake. She streched her arms wide and looked at the calendar. She let out a bitter smile and looked towards the photo of her and Kun Yang she hung on the wall. 

 

Jihyo: Happy Birthday Kun Yang oppa...

 

Jihyo tried to hold back the tears that was beginning to flow out. At this moment, Kwangsoo arrived at Jihyo's house with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. 

 

Kwangsoo: Noona, you okay?

Jihyo: Ne... You ready?

Kwangsoo: Let's go then...

 

Kwangsoo and Jihyo both stayed silent during the long trip in the car. Not because they had nothing to say, but they were both too overwhelmed by their emotions to speak. They both know they might break into tears once they start talking. They arrived at the mountain where Kun Yang's grave was at. Hand in hand, they went up the mountain and stopped in front of Kun Yang's grave. Jihyo took a deep breath to hold back her tears. Kwangsoo laid the bouquet of flowers on the ground and placed his arm around Jihyo without a word. After moments of silence, Jihyo finally began to speak. 

 

Jihyo: Kun Yang oppa, I'm here, happy birthday... I made you some seaweed soup, there are clams and scallops inside, just the way you like it... I've really missed you a lot, you know? You haven't forgotten me yet, have you? Don't you dare forget this dongsaeng of yours! Oppa, remember what we used to say all the time? "You sad I sad", so I'll promise you now that I won't be sad anymore... I'm sure you are cheerful and happy as always, wherever you are right now, so I won't cry either. I know you'll keep your promise well, and never leave me, because no matter what, you will always be in my heart... I know you will continue to protect me and care for me even though you're not physically beside me... That's why I promise you, I'll smile even if it hurts...

Kwangsoo: I came too hyung, happy birthday you fool. How are you these days? I've been doing well, Jihyo and I couldn't possibly have gone though those challenges if it weren't for your support, so thank you hyung. Do you remember? We always argue about who is more successful than the other, for sure I'm the more successful one this year right? You've always won every year, now its finally my turn! But how come I don't feel good about winning over you...? But its okay, because I know I'll always have your support... So don't worry about me okay? I'm fine, thank you...

 

Kwangsoo and Jihyo then headed back down the mountain and drove back to the city. To break the silence, Kwangsoo the radio. The radio played a song by Ladies Code called "I'll Smile Even If It Hurts".

They listened to every word of the heartbreaking song's lyrics: 

I still can’t believe it
It feels like I could still see you
I tell myself that it’s a lie
The fact that you left my side
Your face that’s smiling in the photo
The past days that seemed would last forever
But one day, suddenly
You left my side

But I won’t cry, so you won’t feel bad
I’ll try living without you now
No matter how much it hurts, even if tears keep coming
I wanna smile, I wanna think of you and smile

I tell myself that I forgot you, that I’m okay now
But no matter how much I pretend
I keep thinking of you
And tears keep flowing

But I won’t cry, so you won’t feel bad
I’ll try living without you now
No matter how much it hurts, even if tears keep coming
I wanna smile, I wanna think of you and smile

When my heart was aching and hurting
Many good people comforted me
I hope you have that too wherever you are
I pray that you’re happy

But I won’t cry, so you won’t feel bad
I’ll try living without you now
No matter how much it hurts, even if tears keep coming
I wanna smile, I wanna think of you and smile
I’ll smile even if it hurts

 

Kwangsoo and Jihyo bith scrunched their eyebrows and blinked hard to stop their tears from flowing out. Jihyo swalloed hard and took deep breath when the song ended, she wanted to cry really badly, but she promised she wouldn't cry, so she closed her eyes to calm herself down. As soon as she closed her eyes, memories of Kun Yang flooded her mind. She remembered when Kun Yang , made her laugh and cheered her up, at that, Jihyo finally let out a little smile. She looked over to Kwangsoo with her watery eyes as Kwangsoo was trying to not cry by concentrating on driving. Seeing Jihyo's smile, he was also encouraged to give it a try, he bit his lips to let the tears in his eyes stop flowing, as he stopped tearing up, he finally let out a little smile as well. He gave Jihyo a tiny nod to tell her he will also be okay and not to worry. 

Kwangsoo and Jihyo had some food for dinner and Kwangso took Jihyo home. Kwangsoo tucked Jihyo in bed and gave her a kiss on the forehead. As he was about to leave and return home, Jihyo held onto his arm.

 

Jihyo: Kwangsoo-ah, can you stay with me for tonight...?

 

Kwangsoo smiled at Jihyo, knowing she would need someone to rely on to keep on staying strong. He slid into Jihyo's bed and wrapped his arms around her as she snuggled onto him. In fact, Kwangsoo also needs someone to lean on to stay strong. The two may appear strong, but deep in their hearts, they are both very fragile. When they are together, they become much stronger with each other's comfort. At last, Kwangsoo and Jihyo went to sleep with a smile on both their faces. 

 


Note: I made reference to Ladies Code's two heart breaking songs in this chapter as I felt it fitted with the story, and I really love these two songs. Although I was not a fan of Ladies Code, I'm still really sad for the accident that occoured about one year ago. I hope the remaining 3 members of Ladies Code (Zuny, Sojung and Ashley) will stay strong and smile even if it hurts. RIP EunB, RIP Rise...