Annyong, I’m Kim Hyun Jae!!!

I'm Your Man!!!

 

Hyun Jae has always been the chunkier type of girl. Ever since she was little, fat is not something you could separate from her. One thing the other girls envied her more than anything, she was always surrounded by boys. Somehow, they're comfortable around her..weird huh? Being the only girl among 3 older brothers, Hyun Jae know boys inside out.

Another school day arrived after a short weekend. Monday, the day that I wish the calendar would erase permanently. I hate Mondays... I was rolling over in my bed when I heard someone called me.

            “Hyun Jae ah...wake up! You gonna be late!” that was Min Woo, my oldest brother. His voice is like an unwanted alarm clock, never failed waking me up right on time without having to set it the night before like other alarm clock. After taking a quick shower and put on my clothes (by the way, my school doesn’t have uniform like others...YAY!) I went down to the kitchen where Min Woo is busy finishing making breakfast.

            “What are you doing standing there? Sit down and eat your breakfast.” He put a bowl of rice on the table.

            “Wow...hyung, are we having early morning feast today?” Dong Wan, my second brother came and saw the overflowing side dishes on the table. He sat in front of me and started tasting the food.

            ”Where’s Rae Won?”

            “I’m here...it feels like a five star hotel buffet here... I don’t need a girlfriend when I have a brother who cook food this good.”

This is my family. Min Woo my oldest brother worked at a hotel as a head chef. Having delicious food everyday makes my belly fat get thicker and thicker as day goes by (luckily Rae Won always dragged my to go jogging with him every weekend). Dong Wan worked in an art gallery as a senior curator. I don’t know what exactly he did but it involve paintings, sculptures and all those art which really not in my field. Rae Won is 3 years older than me is a senior in Hongdae University majoring in drama. My mom and dad migrated to Canada few years ago because of my dad’s work. I wanted to finish my studies here so they left me behind. Besides, if I leave the house it will be a shipwreck...my brothers can be a bit lazy at times.

Rae Won Oppa dropped me off to school that morning. Usually it’s Dong Wan’s job but today he got an early meeting that he cannot be late.

            “So, what time do I have to pick you up today?”

            “It’s ok... I can go home on my own...” I saw my best friend Jae Hee walking towards me.

            “Are you sure? My class end at two...or I can ask Dong Wan to pick you up.” My brothers can be too protective of me. I remember they used to beat up kids who teased me when I was little. Whenever I came home crying they will set up a hunt to find the person who made me cry. It’s great that they’re protecting me but sometimes it feels kinda annoying. I’m a big girl now and I can take care of myself.

            “Annyong oppa!” Jae Hee’s voice snapped me out.

            “Oh...Jae Hee ah...you got more beautiful everytime I see you...” here goes Rae Won most used flatter words. Somehow, it seems to be working whenever he met a girl.

            “Gotta go...later...” I closed the door and went to Jae Hee.

            “Careful...bye Jae Hee...” and off he goes.

            “Bye Oppa...oh my god, he’s so cute...” she cannot stop grinning ear to ear. She had a crush on him since we’re in junior high. I wonder what she saw in Rae Won oppa.

            “Stop smiling...he’s gone...he can’t see you anymore...” I pulled Jae Hee’s arm and walked to the main gate. “Do you like him that much?”

She just nodded. “He’s the coolest guy ever. Sweet, nice...”

“Hyun Jae noona! Wait up!” I turned around and saw Chansung running towards me.  This is my closest cousin among my relatives. Being the only child in the family, I’m like a big sister to him. “Noona, I missed you!” he said and gave me a big bear hug. This boy will hug me anywhere whenever he likes.

“Chan ah... I...can’t...breathe...” he loosens his hug and flashes the cutest smile ever.

“Ok...what do you need now?” I know something is up.

“I can’t hide anything from you can I? Let me get straight to the point... I’m having a get together at my house with the boys but the food is missing...none of us can cook...so, could you help your favourite dongsaeng? Pleaseeeeeee......” and that puppy face came out. He knew I can’t say no when he did that.

“Ok, ok...but you have to call Min Woo first...”

“Already did and he told me to make sure you got home before 10...anyway, thanks noona, I’ll see you later...” he gave me a hug and ran away to his class.

"So, are you gonna help me today?" Jae Hee and I knew each other since we're in the first grade. She been with me through thick and thin and now we're more like sisters.

"I'd love to but I can't...my mom need someone to help her at the store...Ga Hee unni got audition today...sorry."

"It's ok..."