Finding Happiness

Breaking Boundaries

Author's Note: A short kryber moment for everyone! :D

-----------------------------------------------

 

Krystal’s POV         

Jessica Unnie just got home when I was about to leave the house this morning. She looked happy about something but I was in a hurry that I didn’t bother to ask her about it. How can she be in a good mood when her little sister was wide awake overnight worrying about her? Everyone seemed so happy today.  Sulli and Key were happy for their own reasons. Even my professor was in a good mood that he dismissed us one hour earlier than usual. Why is it only me who’s not happy at all?

 

I went straight to the university library to write the script for our theatre class. I was about to open the door when someone opened it for me.

 

It was Amber!

 

“You go first,” she said as she gave me a faint smile.

 

I looked around to see if anyone’s around. When I saw that the coast was clear, I returned a faint smile to Amber and entered the library.

 

“Uh. Krystal-shi,” Amber called me but I didn’t look back. I saw some familiar faces so I pretended that I didn’t know her. Sorry, Amber. I can’t talk to you right now. I walked to the most secluded part of the library and sat there. But Amber suddenly disappeared.

 

That idiot. She should have followed me if she really wanted to talk to me.

 

I decided to look for her between the shelves and saw her at the physical sciences section.

 

“Psst!”

 

She looked towards my direction with wrinkled eyebrows and just nodded before returning her attention to the books. Aish. This girl is acting like a snob. When I saw that no one’s coming towards our direction, I sneaked behind Amber and pretended to look for books too.

 

“Why were you calling me a while ago?” I asked her.

 

“I just wanted to greet you properly but you ignored me,” she said coldly as she pulled a thick chemistry book from the shelves.

 

“Sorry, I was just—“

 

“Afraid to be seen by others with me?” She looked at me with those cold eyes and scowled.

 

“N-no, Amber, it’s not like that,” I tried to explain myself but I got tongue-tied in the end.

 

“I understand, Krystal-shi. So just go before they see us,” she said without looking at me in the eyes.

 

Knowing that she also thought about what I was thinking made me feel a little guilty. Yes, I was afraid to be seen with her. Yes, I was afraid of what other people might think or say about us. But getting treated by Amber like this made my heart upset.

 

“I need your help about something,” I just blurted out.

 

“If it’s about Minho, you already got my approval to date my bestfriend so don’t worry too much,” she sarcastically said and walked away.

 

Amber’s POV

 

I bumped into Krystal at the library entrance and I was happy to see her again. I thought we could greet each other like what ordinary friends do but she seemed awkward with me being around. She constantly looked around before she interacted with me and I was even more upset when she ignored me when I called her name. I purposely went between the bookshelves to hide from her but I was surprised when she suddenly appeared. She tried to make a conversation with me but I gave her a cold treatment instead and walked away.

 

“It’s not about Minho, Amber-shi. It’s about my theatre script,” she told me as she followed me to the biological sciences section.

 

“How can a mere chemistry student like me help you? Do you want me to write balanced chemical equations as your script?”

 

What I said was supposed to sound sarcastic but Krystal just laughed at it. She really looked cute while laughing heartily. “Yah, why are you laughing?”

 

“I just can’t imagine the main characters to be named hydrogen and oxygen,” she said, grinning. I was carried away by her laugh that I ended up laughing at my own ‘joke’.

 

“So you know how to laugh too, huh?”

 

I cleared my throat and returned to serious mode. “Go write your script, I really can do nothing about it,” I tried to shove her away because my heartbeat was getting faster and faster like it was going to explode anytime when she’s around. Stay away from me, Krystal. I respect my friendship with Minho.

 

She pouted her lips. How cute.

 

“Ok. See you next time then,” she said as she walked away.

 

“Krystal-shi!”

 

“Hm?” She flipped her hair as she turned back. How gorgeous this girl is. >.<

 

“Can I have your number?” Sorry, Minho. Just let this pass.

 

Krystal’s POV

 

Amber and I just talked! And she even asked for my number!

 

She really was a snob at first but I didn’t know her laugh could make my heart jump. Stupid Amber. You really thought you can’t help me in any way? Then how did I manage to come up with a plot about love and chemistry? You really have no idea.

 

“Krys, what’s with the smile?” Jessica Unnie asked me when I got home.

 

“Why? I’m just in the mood right now,” I told her as I tossed my bag and sat on the couch.

 

“If you could only see yourself in the mirror, you look crazy, little sis,” she teased me.

 

 “I’m just happy right now, Unnie,” I replied and smiled at her widely.

 

“I wonder who’s behind that ear to ear smile,” Unnie said and I knew she wouldn’t stop bugging me to tell her what happened.

 

But I couldn’t tell her about Amber, she might find it odd. “How about you? Why were you so happy this morning? Did something good happen to you?” I returned her the question. And when Unnie blushed, I knew something good did really happen.

 

*beep*One new message

 

I unlocked my phone to read the message.

 

From Unknown Number:

Hello, Krystal-shi. Amber here. Did you arrive home safely? :)

 

I think I found my happiness.

 

Amber’s POV

 

*beep*

From: Krystal-shi

Yes. :)

 

Aish. What kind of reply was that?! Krystal kept on disappointing me. I thought the conversation we had was the start of something new but it all turned out to nothing. She’s not interested in you, Amber. She’s befriending you for Minho.

 

I tucked my phone inside my pocket and started walking home.

 

*ring* I pulled out my phone excitedly hoping it was Krystal who was calling. But to my disappointment, it was my bestfriend Minho.

 

“Yoboseyo.” I picked up Minho’s call and heard loud music coming from the other line.

 

“Amber, let’s talk. Meet me at XYZ Bar,” Minho said from the other line.

 

Why was his voice so serious all of a sudden? “Why? I’m pretty busy right now. If you just need company, try calling Key or Sulli—or Krystal.”

 

Just go with Key or Sulli, not with Krystal.

 

“Come over here and I’ll kill you,” he replied in a serious tone which made me nervous.

Did someone see Krystal and me together and told Minho? “Uh. Alright, I’m on my way.” And he hung up. Oh no, Amber Liu. You’re in deep trouble.