Unsaid Words I

Breaking Boundaries

 

Several years ago

 

Ji Won’s POV

 

“Kim Ji Won-shi,” a deep husky voice caught my attention and made me towards its direction. The owner of the voice was that familiar handsome face that I never thought would even utter my name.

 

It was no other than Amber Josephine Liu, the school’s famous tomboy. How could I not know her? She was the only girl who went to school in a guy’s uniform. Plus the fact that she was a member of the infamous Ghostrings, made up of the six most influential people in our school.

 

“My cousin sent you this,” she told me before pulling out a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates and handed it to me. What she told me made my eyebrows wrinkle. Cousin? “I mean Yi Yun.”

 

My eyes widened when she told me that she’s Yi Yun’s cousin but before any word came out of my lips, she left me alone already. Oh well, maybe she doesn’t have time to stay for a while to hear your ‘thank you’, Kim Ji Won.

 

More than a month ago, I met this Chinese guy over the internet and we’ve been in touch since then. Though we haven’t seen each others’ faces yet, we both came to like each other. And ever since, I’ve been waiting for the day that Yi Yun will come and pull me in his loving arms like those scenes in a drama. They say long distance relationship was really hard, but I dared to try it with Yi Yun.

 

It was one rainy afternoon and I was walking home alone. I was crossing the slippery street when a car came running swiftly towards my direction that I didn’t have the time to run away. Everything happened too fast. The next thing I knew, I was in the arms of that same familiar face.

 

“You should look sideways before crossing the street,” she told me with a cold smirk and released me from her arms before starting to walk away. Again, she didn’t let me say ‘thank you’ and just left. But the rain was pouring hard and I noticed that Amber didn’t have an umbrella; she just let herself got soaked. Without hesitation, I followed her and shared my umbrella with her.

 

“You’ll get sick if you stay under the rain that long,” I told her. “Where do you live? I’ll walk you home.”

 

“No, thanks. A fever won’t hurt anyway,” she replied coldly. How can this girl continuously give me cold treatment when I’m her cousin’s girlfriend? Aish.

 

“But I don’t want you to get sick!” I blurted out. Uh. Did I just say that? Amber just looked at me with those cold dark eyes. I didn’t know why everything about this girl seemed to be so cold but it made me even more curious about her. “Let me take you home at least, I don’t want my saviour to get sick.”

 

“I’ll walk you home and just lend me your umbrella instead,” she replied in the same cold tone that really annoyed the hell out of me but since she saved my life, I just let it go. I didn’t know why but Amber’s presence made me feel different emotions at the same time: annoyance, nervousness and joy? Uh. Scratch the last one. We both remained silent until we reached in front of my house. “I’ll return your umbrella tomorrow,” she said before turning her back on me.

 

Damn it! No one turns back on Kim Ji Won, you a*shole!

 

“AMBER LIU!” I yelled, making her turn her head immediately.

 

“What?”

 

But instead of confronting her, my lips uttered different words. “Can I have your number?”

 

Amber just smirked, that smirk that really irritated me. But I was surprised when she gave off that precious heart melting smile of hers for the first time and replied, “I got your number. I’ll text you later, Kim Ji Won-shi.” Then she left.

 

That same night, I couldn’t sleep thinking about that mysterious Amber Liu. I wonder what I did to her that she kept treating me like that. And how can she ignore the Kim Ji Won that everyone wanted to be friends with? Well, you can’t intimidate her, Ji Won. She’s a campus figure herself.

 

*beep* I hurriedly checked my phone to see if Yi Yun sent me a message. I couldn’t wait to tell him about his snob cousin. But my heart leapt when I received one from Amber instead.

 

From Unknown Number:

I’ll send your umbrella to your classroom tomorrow. -Amber

 

Amber really did have my number! I didn’t know how she got it though since only limited people knew about it. But she’s a Ghostring! She has connections! Or she got it from Yi Yun? Whoever gave Amber my number, I felt thankful towards that person for setting the bridge between me and the person who later became one of the most important people in my life.

 

Since that day, Amber and I continuously exchanged messages. We talked about Yi Yun sometimes but we managed to build a friendship regardless the fact that she’s my boyfriend’s cousin. We constantly met each other in school, ate lunch together and she walked me home after classes. We got so close to the point that a rumour about me and Amber dating broke out. The whole school talked about us until we both got confronted by our own friends and they tried to stop us from seeing each other. I actually felt happy about that rumour and I wasn’t so sure about the reason why. But no matter how everyone disliked the idea of Amber and me being that close, we still pursued our forbidden friendship.

 

When two years passed by and my boyfriend Yi Yun didn’t even show up in front of me yet, I couldn’t help but doubt Amber. My friends kept telling me that Yi Yun and Amber could be the same person but I just laughed at their ridiculous idea. No, Amber won’t do that to me. She can’t possibly hurt me, I know she won’t. But when I found out the truth straight from Amber’s lips, my whole world fell apart.

 

“Please, listen to me—“ she tried to explain but I was too furious that I slapped her face really hard.

 

“Now what, Amber?! What lies are you going to tell me again?!” How can you fool me, Amber?! I trusted you all this time!

 

“Ji Won, please give me a chance. I swear, I didn’t mean to deceive you for the past two years. I was left with no choice,” Amber begged on her knees as tears burst out of her eyes.

 

“No choice? You always had the choice to stop anytime you wanted, but what did you do? You continued making a fool out of me!” You could have always stopped pretending, Amber. I asked you for so many times but you denied. How could you?! How could you do something horrible like this?!

 

“I just didn’t want you to get hurt—“

 

“But you did hurt me!” I broke into tears because of the anger, disappointment and pain that I felt at the same time. “Now tell me the real reason why you did it?! Do you really love me, Amber Liu?!” I asked her the same question that my friends were asking me, the same question that I kept asking myself, the very same question that I even asked her once too but she answered with a ‘no’.

 

But this time Amber answered differently.

 

“I do.” My mind went crazy after hearing it.

 

Two years, how can she fool me for two goddamn years?! Amber, how could you?! You could have just stopped pretending and courted me yourself if you really do love me! You could have just stood in front of me, confessed what you really feel and say those three simple words! And I could have replied with the same three words too. *sigh*

 

“Get lost, dyke.” Those three words came out of my mouth instead. I was feeling more than furious, I felt betrayed. The person whom I trusted the most fooled me all this time. All I knew was I never wanted to see her face ever again. It’s just too painful.

 

And Amber really didn’t show up after that.

 

----------------

 

Present Day

 

It’s been two years since that heartbreaking conversation between us but destiny really had its own way and brought Amber back into my life. At an unexpected place, at an unexpected time, our roads intertwined again. That time when I saw her in Busan, my heart ate all the hatred I felt for her all this time, leaving only the feeling of anticipation to be with her once again. And ever since that day, my mind has always been occupied by Amber herself.

 

I had forgiven you already, Amber. You can come back into my life now.

 

I sent Amber a message to greet her when she celebrated her 21st birthday.

 

To Amber:

Happy birthday, Amber. I miss you, it’s been 2 years. :( Let’s talk.

 

And I was surprised when finally, Amber replied:

See you at Tresto on Friday.

 

-----------------------------

Author's Note: Ji Won's back guys. Now you know the reason why Amber was there at the same restobar where Yulsic dated and heard Jessica's song. :)