First Night at Work

Breaking Boundaries

Author's Note: Ok guys, as you've all predicted, jessber moments coming up! ^_^

-----------------------------------------------

Jessica’s POV

I was dumbfounded when I saw a girl who looked like a guy running out of the Institute of Chemistry building. How can a girl be that handsome? She looked like she was running late to meet someone, which reminded me of my late thesis assistant. Could she be that Amber Liu?

 

“You’re late!” I yelled as I approached the handsome girl. She looked surprised by my arrival.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo. Are you Ms. J. Jung?” she asked me, shyly.

 

“Jessica Jung,” I corrected her. She really looked so shy but I found it cute.

 

“Pleased to meet you, Jessica-shi. I’m Amber Liu,” she said as she bowed 90 degrees in front of me.

 

“Are you ready?”

 

She just wrinkled her eyebrows. “For what?”

 

“For our first experiment! Didn’t I tell you to bring your lab gown?!” I couldn’t help but raise my voice at her cluelessness. Well Sica, you haven’t told her that she’s hired so stop scolding her. “Ok, you’re hired. And we need to perform some experiments tonight. I hope you won’t mind staying a little late at the laboratory.”

 

Amber smiled when she heard what I said. “Am I really hired?” She really looked happy.

 

“Do you want me to fire you this early?!”

 

“N-no. I r-really need this job. Just tell me what I need to do. We can start now if you want,” she said in a worried tone.

 

“Good. Let’s go.”

 

We walked to the laboratory that I reserved earlier, located at the third floor of the building. I tied my hair, wore a lab gown and prepared the laboratory tools needed for the experiment. I stole a glimpse of Amber who was wearing her lab gown. Gawd. How can she be so handsome in a lab gown too? Well, she’s a future chemist anyway. It just suits her.

 

“I need to assess which acid is stronger. I assume you know how to do that?”

 

“Yes. But can you give me a briefing about your thesis?”

 

“I’ll send you a copy later. But for now just do what I tell you to do.”

 

We started doing the experiment and I was amazed by Amber’s laboratory skills. She exceeded my expectations when I saw her cautiousness when handling chemicals. Amber looked serious while working which made her look even more attractive and made me distracted.

 

Being with her made me oblivious of the time. It was half past ten already and we’re done with the experiment. I was cleaning the set up while Amber was washing the glasswares silently.

 

“Uhmm. Jessica-shi, may I ask you something?” I was startled when she suddenly spoke.

 

“What is it?”

 

Amber looked hesitant and began to turn into a tomato. “Uhmm. About the salary.”

 

“I’ll pay you enough, don’t worry.”

 

“How much will I get?” the red-faced Amber asked.

 

“I’ll give you five hundred dollars if we finish everything in one month.”

 

“That, can I ask for a cash advance?”

 

“You really need the money, huh?” I wondered where she will use the money that she asked me about it. “I’ll give you half if we’re halfway done with the thesis.”

 

Her face lightened up and curved a smile on her handsome face. “I promise to work harder.”

 

 

Amber’s POV

 

My first day—I mean night—at this part-time thesis assistant job was pretty tiring. Good thing that Jessica-shi wasn’t that scary than she looked. She may have that cold and bossy voice matching with her piercing glares but she was kind enough to let me get a cash advance. We just finished working late and about to part our ways.

 

“No one’s picking you up?” I asked.

 

“No, I’m going home alone. I’ll just take a taxi,” she answered as she stood by the sidewalk to wait for a taxi.

 

“You don’t have a boyfriend then? How can a beauty like you be single?” I , making her face even redder. “Any guy would be lucky to have a pretty and smart girlfriend like you.”

 

“Yah, I won’t raise your pay just by saying those things,” she smirked as she gave me that familiar icy glare which froze me where I was standing. Why do you constantly remind me of Krystal, Jessica-shi?

 

“I was just kidding, Ma’am. Do you want me to accompany you home? It’s kinda late and it would be too dangerous for you to go alone.”

 

“I said I won’t raise your pay so stop it.”

 

Aish. This girl really thinks I’m all about money. “I’m saying these things because I assumed that we could be friends. I guess I’m wrong.” I was really disappointed with her so I walked away. I really thought she could treat me as a friend and not just an assistant. Is she afraid to make friends with someone like me? Again, she reminded me of Krystal. My heart sank at the thought that Krystal had no interest on making friends with me.

 

“Yah! Where are you going?!” she yelled which made me turned back to her. “Are you taking me home or not?!”