Yuri's Match

Breaking Boundaries

Yuri’s POV

 

Jessica decided to pursue her feelings regardless of what Amber’s relationship with her sister and I, Kwon Yuri, who’s nothing but an extra on Jessica’s life, had no other option but to back off and just let her do what she wanted no matter how painful it would be.  Maybe I really have to give up on you, Jessica-shi. Please be happy.

 

Right after classes, I dropped by the hospital to pay a visit on my pitiful roommate who had been in a deep sleep for more than a week now. But I was surprised to see nothing but her empty bed on the room. No, this can’t be. She can’t be dead! My knees got weak; my hands trembled at the worst thought.

 

“Stupid dinosaur, you can’t be dead! My Jessica will be lonely!” I uttered as a single tear dropped from my eyes. Oh no, I need to find my Jessica. She needs me right now.

 

“Shouldn’t you think about your beloved roommate first before you care for YOUR Jessica?” The bathroom door flew open, revealing my stupid looking roommate wearing casual clothes instead of a hospital gown. Omo! Amber’s alive!

 

“Amber!” I came running and gave her a hug, I was so happy to see her alive and awake.

 

“Yah, get off me. You’re creeping me out,” she told me and I released her immediately.

 

“I’m just happy that you’re alive! Are you okay already? When did you wake up? Did you just get discharge?” I asked her excitedly.

 

“Just woke up two days ago. I’m fine but my head still hurts a little,” she replied with a faint smile.

 

“Then why are you going home already? You should stay here a little bit more until you’re okay!”

 

“I’m fine, Yul. And I missed a lot of our lessons already; I should go back to school as soon as possible,” the dinosaur replied with a wink. “By the way, I’m moving out of our dorm. I’ll live in the Gangnam apartment instead.”

 

I was shocked by Amber’s sudden decision. Moving to Gangnam was the last thing she wanted to do but maybe her parents ordered her to do so. “I thought you’d rather stay because of your memories with Krystal in our room? Oh, speaking of Krystal, did she saw you awake already? Did she—

 

“Who’s Krystal?” Amber replied in a cold blank face.

 

“Hahaha, that was funny. Krystal will kill you for sure if she heard you,” I told her sarcastically. But it struck me when she didn’t reply at all and just looked outside the window like she didn’t really care at all. No, it can’t be. “Amber, don’t tell me that you don’t remember your girl—

 

“Yi Yun! I didn’t know that she’s so beautiful!” Both Amber and I turned to Jackie, Amber’s older sister, who just came inside the room full of excitement. “Last time when I saw her on the hotel’s CCTV, her hair was black. But she went full blonde! Nice choice, Yi Yun!” she told Amber in a praising voice. “Oh, you must be Kwon Yuri. Good thing you’re here, we’ll meet this dino’s girlfriend finally,” she turned to me. Blonde? Krystal gone blonde?

 

The door opened once again, revealing the person whom my heart was aching for. It was none other than Her Royal Highness, Jessica Jung. I saw how she smiled when she saw Amber. That smile, I didn’t see it for quite some time. Girlfriend? You can’t be Amber’s girlfriend, Jessica-shi!

 

“You got me worried, Amber,” Jessica said in a cracking tone, sending a knife straight to my heart.

 

“Jessie-noona!” Amber wrapped her arms around Jessica and I could see how the ice princess’s face lightened up like a light bulb. “I missed you so much!”

 

 “Amber, you really got a pretty girlfriend!” I heard Jackie said.

 

“She’s not Amber’s girlfriend!” I exclaimed, making Jessica throw a piercing glare at me. “Amber works as her thesis assistant. She’s Amber’s boss.” Sorry, Jessica-shi. But I can’t let Amber’s sister think that you’re her girlfriend.

 

“Is it true, Yi Yun?” Jackie asked and Amber just replied with a smile. This time she turned to Jessica. “I actually don’t like the idea of my little sister working, young lady.” Oh yes, please don’t let Amber work! I’ll be her substitute then! “But if this work will bring you two together, I’ll be fine with it.” What?! Noooooooooooo!

 

I thought I could finally win Amber’s spot as Jessica’s thesis assistant but Jackie turned my whole world upside down. I guess she’s rooting for Jessica to be Amber’s girlfriend. But Amber already had a girlfriend! Aish, things are getting even more complicated!

 

“Excuse me, guys. I have to go,” I told them before I lose a grip of myself. “See you later, bro.” And I left without even looking at my Jessica. Her gestures towards Amber made me really upset. What was she thinking anyway? Is she seriously going for it even she knew about Amber and her sister?!

 

Now, where’s that Krystal Jung?!

 

Jessica’s POV

 

No matter how much pain it would cause me, I decided to give up on Amber. If she really loves Krystal and I could see that my sister loves her too, then it’s time for me to get out of the picture. But I just found out something that made me think twice.

 

Choi Minho brought home my crying sister the other night. I heard them talking something about Amber that I eavesdropped on their conversation and found out that Amber woke up but had lost some of her memories. And my heart didn’t know what to feel when I heard that Amber couldn’t remember my sister at all. Sorry, Krys. It looks like I still have a chance.

 

I missed my dorky assistant already that I decided to visit her the next day. My heart was overflowing with happiness and relief when Amber came to hug me first when she saw me. Amber’s older sister thought that I was Amber’s girlfriend and seemed to be rooting for me but the stupid Kwon Yuri ruined it all.

 

Yes, Amber’s girlfriend is not me but my sister. Thanks for reminding me, Kwon Yuri-shi. *sigh*

 

“Jessica-shi, how long have you known each other?” Jackie asked me while she was driving. She convinced me to have dinner with them and I had submitted to her stubbornness.

 

“Only for a month, I guess,” I simply replied and glanced sideway to catch a glimpse of Amber who seemed to be so quiet lately. Jackie seemed to set us up when she made us sit together at the back seat. “Amber, are you okay?” I asked and touched her hand. Omo! She’s still wearing our ring!

 

“Aigoo. How thoughtful,” Jackie teased. “Oooh. Nice rings. Which reminds me of the proposal you were talking about last time before you left for Busan?”

 

I felt a twinge in my heart when she said that, I was sure that she’s actually referring to Amber’s proposal to my sister. But I was surprised when Amber held my hand and our rings touched. “Do we look good together, Noona?” Amber blurted out all of a sudden as she waved our hands to let her sister see. Her sudden gesture made my heart beat so fast but I knew it was all joke.

 

“Yes! Do you want me to book your wedding in the States now?” Jackie’s statement made my heart leap, making me smile inside.

 

“Stupid. I have to court her first before anything else,” Amber kidded at her sister and gave me wink. Aish, don’t make me fall for it, Amber Liu!

 

*ring* It was Jackie’s phone. And she started talking Mandarin in a very formal way before hanging up. Amber then spoke with her in Mandarin too. Aish. Stop talking in Chinese, Amber! You’re making yourself even more attractive!

 

“Get off here, guys. I need to attend an urgent dinner meeting,” Jackie told us before dropping me and Amber in front of the pojangmacha near the university, the same place where I picked Amber up when she was drunk. She spoke something in Chinese before winking at Amber and drove off.

 

“What was that?” I curiously asked. The feeling of being left out, I hate it.

 

“She said she’s going out with some friends. And that we should enjoy our date. Uhmm. She set us up,” Amber replied sheepishly with a slight smile.

 

I should be thankful to Jackie for this opportunity but Amber looked like she didn’t like the idea. “We should go home then,” I told Amber half-heartedly.

 

“Let’s have dinner at least, or some soju?” I looked at her sternly with my cold glares at her mention of soju. You just got out of the hospital, you dork! “Okay, no soju then.”

 

Amber’s POV

 

‘Stupid dinosaur, you can’t be dead! My Jessica will be lonely!’

 

I couldn’t help but laugh inside when I recalled Kwon Yuri’s statement. It wasn’t because of her overdramatic line but because of the last thing she said. My Jessica? Seriously, Yul? You like her? That ert might have fallen for the beautiful and delicate Jessica Jung. No wonder why she’s pretty, she and Krystal had the same genes.

 

The thought of Krystal made my heart scream in pain, my bestfriend in the loving arms of my beloved Krystal, the first scene I witnessed when I woke up.

 

Those traitors! I just slept for a week and they’re together already? Ha! I didn’t know you fall in and out of love that fast, Krystal Jung. You didn’t even wait for me to explain about the picture? Do you want to replace me that much, huh? Wait until I find a girl to replace you, then I’ll be over you too!

 

Jackie noona looked like she really wanted Jessica for me, she kept telling me that Jessie’s beautiful and that we’re a match made in heaven. I wonder if she would tell the same for Krystal. I really wanted to hit myself for thinking about Krystal again.

 

If Krystal replaced me with my own bestfriend, shall I just replace her with her own sister?

 

Yes, I actually thought of it. But remembering Kwon Yuri’s jealousy outburst earlier when she explained the real thing between Jessica and me, I just rejected the silly idea. My ert playgirl roommate who just fell in love and gone serious changed my mind completely. Maybe Kwon Yuri did just find her match, good for her then.

 

But my sister just set me up on a date with Jessica. That girl pretended that she was talking to an investor over the phone but when she dropped us off, she told me that she’ll just go clubbing and enjoy my date with her.

 

Sorry, Yul. I’ll just eat dinner with your Jessica. Promise, this is not a date.

 

Krystal’s POV

 

I was lying on my bed after a long cry when Yuri unnie called me to have a drink with her; she said she wanted to talk about something important. I thought of rejecting her invitation at first but when the thought that she wouldn’t talk to me unless it’s about Amber crossed my mind, I jumped out of my bed and found my way to the meeting place.

 

“Krystal!” Yuri unnie called me when I got there, waving her hand as a signal.

 

“What now? Don’t you know that you ruined my sleep?” I scowled at her before pouring some soju on an empty glass and drank it in one shot.

 

“What sleep are you talking about? I know you’re just crying at home,” she replied with a smirk. “Amber got discharged from the hospital.”

 

Her mention of Amber made lump on my throat that I couldn’t speak. “G-Good for her then.”

 

“Krystal, I know Amber’s suffering from dissociative amnesia right now and completely forgot everything about you, but please don’t give up,” Yuri unnie told me straightforwardly.

 

“I broke up with her already, unnie,” I replied weakly. How can I not give up when Amber and Jessica unnie are deeply in love? I just want happiness for the two people I love the most. *sigh*

 

I saw how Yuri’s jaw dropped and eyes widened. “Th-that’s impossible, you just got together and even do it that night before the accident. Why did you do that, Krys?” she told me worriedly.

 

Well, there’s no point in lying about the real reason anyway. Yuri unnie was the only person whom I could open up about it freely. “I-I saw a picture. A-Amber and a girl, were sleeping together on her bed, they’re hugging each other. Maybe something happened between them, I don’t know,” I started telling her. “But the girl, she’s my sister, my one and only unnie.”

 

Yuri fell silent for a moment and gulped another shot of soju before pulling out her phone. “You mean this picture?” And I was surprised when she showed me the same picture Choi Minho sent me.

 

“This, h-how—

 

“Choi Minho sent you this?” Yuri asked with a slight smile and lowered her head. “I took that picture, Krystal. And yes I sent it to Minho before. But if you’re thinking that Amber slept with your sister, yes, they literally slept with each other, but nothing happened beyond that. Amber won’t do that with someone she doesn’t love.”

 

Yuri unnie’s revelations made my tears break out from my eyes. I was so stupid to think that something happened between them and broke up with Amber. I just cried as Yuri unnie continued. “Amber isn’t aware of Jessica’s feelings for her. She just treats your sister like an older sister even she doesn’t know that you’re siblings yet.” Jessica? I haven’t mention my sister’s name yet. Does she know my sister too? I looked at her with questioning eyes and she smiled at me bitterly. “Yes, I know her, Krystal. Your sister is the most beautiful person I ever met.”

 

Her last statement made my eyes widened. “Y-Yuri unnie, don’t tell me—

 

“I like Jessica Jung. No, I think I love her already,” she told me, meeting my cold eyes with her pair of sincere eyes. But Yuri unnie didn’t stop surprising me when she stood all of a sudden and gave me a 90-degree bow. “Please give me your blessing, Krystal dongsaeng.”

 

“What do you think you’re doing, Yul?” And we both turned around to see the owner of that dorky voice. 

 

Amber?