Money Issues

Breaking Boundaries

Amber’s POV

 

“Hey, Yuri. Can I borrow some money?” I asked Yuri. She just stared at me with narrow eyes for quite a while. “Never mind,” I said and returned studying.

 

“Why do you need money all of a sudden? You have a girlfriend now, don’t you?” Yuri said with those narrow eyes.

 

“Yah, I don’t have a girlfriend and I’m not planning to have one. My wallet just hasn’t recovered yet from our Tokyo field trip last month and I need money for the Busan trip,” I explained.

 

“Well, sorry, Am. I don’t have money too,” Yuri replied and turned to her biochemistry book.

 

Now you’re doomed, Amber Liu. You must magic some cash in 10 days.

 

“I didn’t know liking someone would cost this much,” I purposely whispered to myself, loud enough for Yuri to hear. And *poof*, she withdrew her wallet from her bag.

 

“You should have told me earlier. How much do you need?”

 

“Uhmm. I'm two hundred dollars short.”

 

“That much? Who’s that lucky girl anyway?”

 

“I just met her at Sung Jin.”

 

“Really? Tell me more about her. How does she look like? Is she pretty?” Yuri asked excitedly.

 

“Yes. She looks like a princess,” I said simply.

 

“And?”

 

“And what?”

 

“Her name? Her age? Where does she live? What’s her course?” Yuri bombarded me with questions.

 

“Uhmm. Her name is Krystal. I assume she studies in our university too but I don’t know what her course is. That’s all I know about her.”

 

“What?! You’re so slow, Bro. You should have asked her those things!”

 

“I’m planning to do so. I could get to know her more on my Busan trip. We’re going to attend the music festival together.”

 

Her eyes widened again and just nodded.

 

“So are you going to lend me some money?”

 

“No. But I could help you earn that cash,” Yuri said and gave me a piece of folded paper from her pouch. I opened to read it aloud.

 

“Thesis assistant needed ASAP, preferably a BS Chemistry student/graduate with knowledge on laboratory techniques. Send me an email for more details—J. Jung.”

 

“Since I’m a good friend, I’m giving you this opportunity,” Yuri said with a wide grin.

 

“Really?! Thanks, Yul! I don’t know what to do without you!” I said and locked her head on my arms.

 

I sent an email to that J. Jung before going to sleep and asked about the advertisement. I hope he hasn’t found a thesis assistant yet.

 

Good evening, Mr. Jung. I saw your post about looking for a thesis assistant. I would like to take the job if it’s still vacant.  Attached here is a copy of my school record. Thank you! –Amber Liu

 

I had no idea why I was doing this but the thought of happy moments with Krystal in Busan kept popping inside my mind. No, Amber. You’re doing it because of your promise to your Nichkhun hyung not for Krystal. And stop thinking about that girl. She doesn’t like you anyway.

 

*beep*

 

I checked my phone to see who it was and to my surprise, it was J. Jung who sent me a message.

From J. Jung:

Meet me tomorrow, 6pm in front of Institute of Chemistry building.

 

A smile curved upon my face after reading the message and replied it immediately.

To J. Jung:

Yes, Sir! :)

 

My smile never left my face as I closed my eyes.

 

*beep*

From J. Jung:

I’m not a sir. See you tomorrow. PS: Bring your lab gown.

 

Stupid me. Why did you call J. Jung ‘sir’ when there’s a possibility that she’s a girl? And I facepalmed myself to sleep.

 

My professor in my 4-6pm class the next day dismissed us later than usual. I ran through the hallways and down the stairs as fast as I could. I was afraid to make a bad impression on J. Jung. I arrived at our meeting place 15 minutes late. Now where is that J. Jung? I have no idea what she looks like. I pulled my phone to send her a message.

“You’re late!”

I turned to see who it was and my jaw almost dropped when I saw the owner of the voice. A stunning girl with a long blond hair was right in front me.  She was staring at me with those killer eyes which reminded me of the girl who I kept thinking about lately.

 

------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Just a short introduction for a new character who will make things between Amber and Krystal even more complicated. 

PS: Kryber moments soon. :))