The Unspoken Truth

Perfect Two

 “Should I help you with this?” Minho suggested as both of them finished eating. Yeojin just shook her head and smiled, taking the plate that was already in Minho's hands.

 

“It's okay. Just sit over there and have some rest. I'll take care of these things.” She said and continued cleaning the table. Minho just stood there watching over here, unsure if he really should just go in the living area and leave here there. Yeojin looked at him and smiled again. “I'm fine, Minho, besides, I have always been the one cleaning up.” She uttered and left him as she went to the kitchen to bring the plates over the sink.

 

As Minho sat in the living area to take some rest, a sudden incoming video call on skype disturbed him. He looked at his tab and saw that it was Jinki calling. “Hey, Frog! Happy Birthday!” Jinki immediately greeted as he answered the call. “We are here at your house because your mother invited us over dinner. We saw your photo!”

 

“What?!” Minho was alarmed as he then realized that the photo that was sent to his mother was him in the frog costume with a party hat.

 

“Yaahhhhhh~ I didn't know you like this kind of celebration! Do you want us to celebrate your birthday that way next year? I'll wear a cow costume!” He teased and Minho was obviously irritated. “Oh! Omonim! Omonim! I'm talking to Minho on skype!” Jinki suddenly shouted and not long after, Minho saw his mom peeking over with a bright smile on her face.

 

“Happy birthday, my dear! I received your photo! You look so good and happy!” She greeted but Minho only smiled awkwardly, “But... you are you celebrating it with?”

 

“Oh. Ahh...” Minho was suddenly out of words as he didn't want to mention Yeojin. “I celebrated it alone.”

 

“I'm sure you didn't!” Someone out of camera shouted and he guessed it was Key. “Someone else took that photo for you and there's no way you can self time it! The photo was taken by your phone elevated and tilted. There's no way you can leave it like that and take it with a self timer!” He explained well which made everybody laugh. Jinki then turned his phone and the camera now showed Key with the rest of his friends and Minho's relatives.

 

“Did you really celebrate it with someone, son?” His mother asked but he couldn't say a thing.

 

“Minho-yah, do you want me to bring you over a slice of cake?!” Yeojin shouted as she peeked from the kitchen and called out for Minho. He panicked again when he saw the reactions on the other line. He was sure they heard Yeojin's voice.

 

“There's a girl ~ ~” Jinki sang randomly and everybody was suspiscious of him. “There's a girl in the kitchen slicing cake for Choi Minho.”

 

Minho caught particularly on Jonghyun's reaction. He was looking directly at a camera with his forehead knitted and he seemed to be in deep thought.

 

Just then Yeojin came out with hot chocolate and a slice of cake. “You didn't answer so I just brought this in. Hot choco and strawberry cake really goes well to-” She paused when she received an alarming look from Minho. Good thing she couldn't be seen by the camera, but the fact that her voice could be heard was already alarming. Yeojin bit her lips and mouther sorry as she quickly went back to the kitchen.

 

He looked at the screen and now all the people on the other line was staring at him. Jonghyun spoke out gaining a very intriguing glare from everybody. “I also know a girl who likes to have hot chocolate while eating a strawberry cake. Actually, that girl always wants strawberry and chocolate together.” Jonghyun saw how Minho's eyes grew bigger than how they were normally big so he chuckled and and spoke again. “Don't worry. There is such thing as the unspoken truth.” He giggled.

 

“Maybe I need to go and have some sleep. Goodnight.” Minho, without any other warning, ended the call and put his tab on the center table. “Aish... these people.”

 

“Did they figure out it was me?”

 

Minho shrugged his shoulders on Yeojin's question. “They didn't say anything, though. Nevermind. I'll just tell them I had my friend visit me so I celebrate my birthday with her.”

 

She nodded and sat with him on the couch. There was a long silence until Yeojin took out her camera and looked at the photo they took a while ago with Angel. Minho peeked in. “You're looking at it again. Do you really like it that we are all wearing something that you bought?” He said and looked at Yeojin's side view. He witnessed how a smile formed on her face making her cheeks rounder.

 

“It's cute.” She said. “Though you didn't want to wear this, I appreciate that you still did.”

 

“You forced me. I have no choice but to do it.” Minho and Yeojin chuckled together.

 

“Do you want me to tell you something?” Yeojin asked and he only looked at her, waiting for Yeojin to continue what she was about to say. “I once bought Jonghyun the same pajama costume. He said it was okay to buy it, but he never really wore it... not even tried it on.” Minho looked at her in surprise and she nodded. “I wore mine once and he said it looked nice on me, but when I asked him to wear his, he always refused saying it will never look good on him.”

 

“You should've forced him. You're good in that.” Minho joked but she shook her head while smiling.

 

“Maybe that only works for you. He also gives in to what I want but not everything, like wearing this outfit.”

 

Minho nodded but suddenly became silent. He thought that maybe he didn't know much about Yeojin's relationship with Jonghyun before. He thought Jonghyun was someone to give in to everything. “I can read what you're thinking. Don't worry. He might not be like that to Soeun.” Yeojin told him and smiled. “You can see how Jonghyun loves her. Maybe he was like that to me because he still didn't love me enough, so... don't worry.”

 

“I'm not thinking about that.” Minho denied and sighed. “I just thought you were that happy being with him. I thought you, two, was a perfect couple.”

 

“I was happy. I really was, but things change... and that happiness is now just a memory.” She then sighed and shook her head. “Aish. Why are we talking about sad things when it's still your birthday? We have 2 hours left before your birthday ends so what do you want to do now?”

 

“A while ago, after we took that photo... I told you I realized something and you told me you felt the same... so.. what did you realize?” Minho asked and it seemed like Yeojin was caught off guard.

 

“Huh? Did I say that?” She played innocent but Minho nodded. “When?”

 

“Right while we were looking at the photo. Come on, I just want to know what you realize.”

 

“You first.” Yeojin insisted.

 

“I asked first, so you answer first before I do.” Minho was determined to know but Yeojin was more eager to not tell him.

 

I realize I look happier being beside you than how I was in the past. That was what she was thinking during that moment of looking the photo with Minho. It was no joke. She was surprised as well when she saw how she was genuinely smiling while holding the baby and leaning towards Minho. She seemed naturally fine and happy, with no worries and doubts. She didn't know if she had seen herself smiling like that – not even her wedding with Jonghyun before. It felt nice seeing herself like that, and she didn't know if it was because of Minho, of Angel, or both.

 

I just thought maybe we would really look good as a family. That was, on the other hand, what Minho thought at the moment he saw the photo. He simply thought Yeojin and him looked good together, but of course, there are things that you must not voice out, for it simply didn't need to. Minho knew he fell in love with Soeun before, but with Yeojin over here, it felt different, and he couldn't explain how it was. Suddenly, there was something in her that he found so endearing and special, though he just couldn't figure out what it is. Moreover, her smile and the way she looked at him actually turn his world upside down sometimes, and it felt crazy, but fun and exciting.

 

“There is something I heard from Jonghyun.” Minho uttered after a long silence for what they thought were years. He looked at Yeojin and she waited for him to talk again. “Somewhat like... the unspoken truth.”

 

She nodded, “I heard it from him before as well.” She said and looked down and her lap, smiling but wasn't looking at him. “I guess it's better that way...” Then she looked up to meet him in the eyes again, “Coz we don't know if it would hurt is once the unpoken truth is spoken, right?”

 

Minho frowned, intrigued by what she meant, though he eventually nodded. “I guess so... who knows?”

 

Yeojin then stood up and patted Minho's shoulder. “Let's sleep, Minho-yah. Happy Birthday again.” Before she was even able to walk, Minho talked again.

 

“Should we go out tomorrow? It's Saturday. My treat.” Yeojin only answered with a bright smile and a nod, then Minho added. “But you have to wake up early coz you're going to choose what I wear.”