The Only Option You Have

Perfect Two

 Afraid for the baby to cry hard again just like what happened the other night, it seemed like Minho had a mental alarm clock which allowed him to wake up around 3 o'clock in the morning. He left his room and went to the next room, carefully twisting the knob open. He didn't locked it a while ago after putting Yeojin on the bed because he really had a plan on checking on them later on.

 

As he opened the door, he saw Yeojin silently looking over Angel on her crib. He caught her attention so she looked at him who was sneaking on the small opening of the door. “You're still awake?” She asked almost whispering. “Come in.”

 

Minho did and walked almost tip toeing, afraid that the baby might just wake up with just a small noise they'll make. Slowly, he joined Yeojin and looked at the baby girl as well. “I was worried she'll start crying again and you won't even dare wake up coz you're sleeping soundly.” He said jokingly but both of them knew it was half meant.

 

Yeojin pouted and shook her head. “You didn't know how afraid I was when I saw her face as she cried last night. I couldn't even sleep at all because I keep on checking on her.”

 

“For your information, you slept on the couch and I had to carry you here. That was why I couldn't sleep as well. I knew you were tired and I thought you wouldn't even mind any noise for all you care about is sleep.” He said truthfully and Yeojin hit him slightly.

 

“Yah.. that's a bit harsh!” She acted like she was mad but she said it in an almost whisper again. “It's not like all I care about is sleep. You're making me sound like a selfish one.” She said and rolled her eyes on him. “But you carried me to the bed? You should've just woke me up.” Minho didn't say a thing and just shrugged his shoulders. “Thanks anyway.” She just decided to thank him in the end.

 

“I guess you're fine here to be left alone. I'll go back to my room. See you tomorrow.” few minutes later, Minho decided to go back and sleep again. “If she cries hard and you don't know what to do, don't get in panic and just call me, okay?”

 

“Yes, sir.” She said playfully and even winked at him. Minho shook his head and left the room as if he was hit by something again.

 

*** *** ***

 

Minho woke up that morning with another set of breakfast on the table just like yesterday. There were fried rice and fried eggs and toasted bread and hot coffee, all served to him by his beautiful boarder, Ahn Yeojin. She was still in the kitchen but Minho decided to occupy a seat without even making her recognize his presence.

 

“Oh, Minho-yah.. I didn't even know you woke up already.” She said when she went out of the kitchen with a plate of pancakes and a chocolate syruo on another hand.

 

“You were awake around 3 am last night. I wasn't expecting you to wake up as early to prepare for breakfast... I appreciate it, but you don't have to do it from time to time though.”

 

“This is the most of what I can do to show you I appreciate your kindness.” Yeojin said softly and sat on the seat next to him. “I don't know how many times should I say this but I think I would have to thank you from time to time for allowing me keep the baby and even making me live here to look after us.”

 

“I can't just allow you have her alone you know...” He shrugged his shoulders and started eating. “If you're going to cook for breakfast anytime, can you do more than frying or something?”

 

“You don't like these?” She said looking at the foods she cooked for more than an hour.

 

“Not that I don't like them... but I usually eat heavy meals during breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day, and as an athlete, I need to start my day full of nutrition... and to be honest? Fried rice, fried eggs, and hot coffee aren't enough.”

 

She looked at him as if she was thinking and then she nodded after a while. “I'm not really a good cook for I don't cook that much but let's see what I can do. When will your coaching start anyway?”

 

“Tomorrow.” Minho answered shortly because though he told her those foods on the table weren't enough, he was still stuffing himself with the same food and he was still obviously enjoying all of them. “So starting tomorrow, I'll have to leave you both here during the day but I'll go home around 4 pm. That's only from Monday to Friday and I have the weekend for free.”

 

He was talking about his schedule when he realized Yeojin was suddenly in a deep thought. She was listening but it seemed like half of her mind was somewhere else. “Something wrong?”

 

“Nothing I just suddenly thought...” She slowly looked at him before talking again. “I'm working, and you are working... so who's going to look after Angel when we're gone?”

 

“Right.” Minho suddenly realized the same thing when she said it. Who's going to take care of Angel while the both of them are at work? “Should we hire a maid then?”

 

“Do you think that's a good idea?” Yeojin asked but Minho surprisingly shook his head.

 

“If we're not going to take care of her and a maid will do then what's the use of keeping her?” He said and shrugged his shoulders. “The best option here is for you to quit your travel magazine.” He said which made her surprise. “Well... technically you're a mother to a newborn child... and mothers are supposed to take a break from their work when they have a newborn baby so... I know you know what I mean.” He said and wiggled his eyebrows up and down as if he was teasing.

 

“But I don't think it's-” She stopped when they heard a cry coming from Yeojin's room. Angel has woken up and was seeking someone's attention. “Aigoo, my baby.” Yeojin immediately stood up and ran to her room. Minho followed her.

 

“Aiigoooo, my baby has woken up... How's your sleep, my angel?” She talked to the baby while swaying her left and right for her to stop crying. She picked up a bottle inside the crib and put it in the baby's mouth. “You were hungry, huh?” She said smiling as the baby on the bottle.

 

“Wow...” Minho leaned at the door and watched as Yeojin took care of the baby like a pro. “You handled her really well. Did you learn from somewhere?”

 

“Fine. I searched some parenting blogs and read some experiences from the first time mothers.”

 

“So what have you learned about being a first time mom?”

 

“It requires full time.” She answered shortly as she swayed as if dancing to some unheard music, making sure Angel won't start crying again. “One parent said she can't even do anything else everyday coz she always needs to look after her child.”

 

“That's why I told you, you should stop working.” Minho reiterated the same thing he said to her a while ago.

 

“I can quit working but that would mean I won't have any money to support her.”

 

“I'm here. I can help out.” Minho told again to which Yeojin shook her head. “I told you everything here is free for me. They give me free lodging house, free car, a maid that would clean up every week, weekly supplies of groceries, plus monthly salary. See? I'm serious... just leave everything to me.”

 

“No. That's too much. I also need to work to support her.”

 

“Well?” Minho crossed his arms together and looked at her. “You can be incharge of the house. I won't anymore ask the maid to come every week and I'll ask the agency to give the budget to you so you can do the grocery every week. Just stay here, take care of Angel, and the house. Oh yeah, you can also cook for us, wash clothes, and...”

 

“Wait. I know I already filed a divorce and I consider myself as a single woman but why do I seem like I'm about to be a mother and a wife again?”

 

“A wife to me?” Minho raised an eyebrow and shook his head. “Maybe a mother to Angel, and a maid to me.” He chuckled and walked back to the dining area. “Think of what I said, though I guess you can work during weekends coz it's okay if I take charge of her. I don't have work on those days anyways, but Yeojin... I'm telling you working and taking care of a child would be difficult to do at the same time.”

 

Yeojin followed Minho while carrying Angel who was still on her milk. “When Soeun gave birth to Yoogeun... was she able to work as well?”

 

“She started working only a year after, and it was still hard coz there's no one else to look after Yoogeun. She had to find work that would allow her have the work at home so she could still look after him. She only started working regularly when Yoogeun reached 3 years old and he could be taken into the daycare already.”

 

Yeojin looked down on the child and smiled warmly. “Do I really need to quit my work because of you, my dear?”

 

Minho heard it and looked at her, wondering if she could really sacrifice such thing for the baby she isn't even related with.