Don't get your hopes high

Perfect Two

4 weeks later.

 

“Mrs. Choi.” Yeojin slowly woke up by the sound of her friend calling her out. It was Shane. She arrived two weeks later when Yeojin called her and invited her for their wedding. Shane couldn’t miss it. She was a part of how Yeojin and Minho started as lovers who will now eventually lead to marriage. “You are oversleeping again.” She told Yeojin and started shaking her shoulders.

 

“5 more minutes.” She said with her weak and sleepy voice.

 

“Mrs. Choi, you went to bed last night as early as 8pm and it’s already 8:15, wow, you’re sleeping for more than 12 hours!” Shane exasperated and slapped her friend’s . “Since I arrived 2 weeks ago, I think you’ve gained some weight.”

 

“What?!!” With Shane’s comment about her body, Yeojin automatically sat straight with a shock on her face – as if what her friend said was something unacceptable. “No way. You’re joking!” She hopped off her bed and ran to her life-sized mirror just to check herself.

 

Shane cackled loudly and even rolled on the bed after seeing Yeojin’s freaked out reaction. As a model herself, of course it was clear that she was the type to always be mindful of her body figure.

 

“Shaneeee….” Yeojin faced Shane again with a pout and a sulky expression. “Am I really getting fat?” She asked like a whining kid.

 

“Well, if you continue sleeping more than 12 hours a day then I’m sure you’ll get really fat.” She was shaking her head while reiterating to her friend that she did oversleep again. “And may I remind you, Mrs. Choi. For the last two weeks of my presence, you’ve been sleeping around lazily and you always look stress out.” She straightened up and crossed her arms. “Is it really frustrating preparing for a wedding?”

 

“Haa…” Yeojin made a long heavy outbreath and shrugged her shoulders, giving her friend a helpless look. “I’m not sure but I really feel stressed lately, maybe this is because I’m a bit puffed up for the wed-“ Her words were interrupted as she covered tightly – running into the bathroom to throw up.

 

“Jeannie? What happened?!” Shane followed her and saw her struggling with herself. She helped Yeojin out by rubbing her back for relief. “Feeling better?” Yeojin nodded and open the faucet to wash and hands. “Let me get you some glass of water.”

 

Shane came up with Yeojin’s mother following her. She must have told her about what happened to Yeojin.

 

“This is getting bad, darling, you threw up yesterday, too.” Her mother anxiously reminded her. “We need a check-up immediately.”

 

“We can do this after the wedding.” Yeojin insisted. “Tomorrow’s that day, omma, and there are things left to do. I really don’t have time to do any checkup especially today.”

 

“Isn’t it… that you’re possibly pregnant?” Out of nowhere, Shane stated, leaving both Yeojin and her mom speechless for a while. “I mean… all of these… perhaps…”

 

“Shh… what are you talking about?” Yeojin hooted and instantly rejected her presumption. “You know it’s not possible. I have problems with my ovaries – literally – and you know I stopped medication few months ago.” She clarified and was also convinced that being pregnant at the moment was really out of the context.

 

“Unless you never did anything then I’m persuaded that being pregnant is impossible.” She wiggled her eyebrows playfully which gained a frantic stare from Yeojin.

 

“Yah!”

 

“Aw, omma! Stop it!” Yeojin rubbed the part of her arm her mother just hit.

 

“You… you sneaky girl! You aren’t even married yet why did you do it with-“

 

“Ommaa~ Helllooo~~” Yeojin showed off her wedding ring to her mother. “Reminding you that I am, in fact, married to that man already… and if you’re gonna ask again… we did that the night after we got married… so technically, I didn’t do anything!”

 

“You’re making me crazy, little girl!” Her mother stood up and shook her head after realizing that after all, really, Yeojin was already married to Choi Minho. “Just get yourself ready and meet your husband coz just like what you said, you have a lot of things to do till the wedding!”

 

Yeojin and Shane laughed together as her mother went outside and quitted arguing with her frisky child.

 

“But, Shane…” Before they go out for breakfast, Yeojin grabbed her friend’s arm for a while to stop her. “Control your mouth, alright? Don’t go around randomly teasing me with this pregnancy thing especially when Minho’s around.” She whispered, gaining a weird look from her friend. “Please? Shane? Don’t blabber around that much.”

 

“But don’t you wanna figure out?” Shane again wiggled her eyebrows in anticipation but Yeojin wasn’t feeling the same way.


“I don’t want Minho to expect a lot from me.” She finally confessed. “I don’t want to give get his hopes high by thinking I really can be pregnant. We talked about this and he said he’s okay with it. I don’t want him to…”

 

“So it’s like killing his excitement of having a child just because you think you can’t bear one? Sshh… I don’t get you.”

 

“Ehh… you don’t have to get what I mean just… just don’t tell him anything about this, okay? I am not pregnant. Maybe I’m just pressured and stressed and tired. Whatever this is, I’ll get better in no time. Maybe after the wedding?” Yeojin flashed her lively smile and flipped her hair to tease Shane. The other girl just had her head shaking while following her friend.

 

-*-

 

“Everything’s ready?” Minho stopped the car in front of Yeojin’s house after a whole day of going around making sure everything’s done and prepared for tomorrow’s big wedding day.

 

Yeojin smiled while taking out a list from her bag. “Hmm… reception is ready, the flowers are ready, the invitations are all out and everybody has one, I think everything’s good!”

 

“So… see you tomorrow, my dear?” Minho breathed as he looked gently at his wife. He reached towards her caressing her cheeks. “After tomorrow, I can certainly call you mine. We’ll live in one roof, finally sleep together in one bed and in the future have are own...”

 

“Ooppps~ we talked about this already.”

 

“Fine. Fine. Fine.” He quit discussing the same issue and decided to settle it like how Yeojin would want it to be. “Go inside and rest for now… tomorrow’s gonna be a big day, and tomorrow night… will certainly be a big night.”

 

“Yah!” Yeojin hit Minho’s arm playfully, but he quickly stole her hands and kissed them.  

 

“I can’t wait to really spend the rest of my life with you. What will you do if I cry tomorrow at our wedding?”

 

“I’ll run away.” She joked and pinched her husband’s cheek cutely. “Stop being like that, okay? I’ll go ahead. See you tomorrow. Be sure to be the most handsome husband ever, okay? I am planning to boast you around every woman that will be there!”

 

After conversing with more sweet for nothing words, Yeojin finally got off the car to enter the house and have herself some rest.

 

But as she entered the house, she was welcomed with rather more stressing antic from her friend, as Shane randomly cornered her into her room and raised a pregnancy test kit for her to use.

 

“What’s that?! Yah! What is this?!”

 

“A pregnancy test!” Shane said excitedly and started pushing her in the comfort room. “I promise whatever the result is, I won’t tell anything to Minho tomorrow. I promise I’ll shut my mouth up I just freaking want to know if my instincts are all true. Don’t worry. Just don’t expect so much we just need to confirm that you are really not pregnant, okay? Okay? Okay? Just try it once I swear I won’t push you again for this after this one!” Shane kept on blabbering as she closed the door of the comfort room letting Yeojin do the test.

 

She sighed. She really didn’t want to do it, though.