The Same Pain

Perfect Two

He didn't know how to tell her. Minho entered the house with a heavy heart that night. He knew that the right thing to do was to give Angel back to her real family. He was also certain that they will love her as much as Yeojin did, and of course, as a wonderful memory from their lost daughter, they want to treasure Angel forever.

 

There was no one in the living area as he entered. The whole house was clean and he knew Yeojin was in her room with Angel as usual. Slowly, he approached their room and knocked on the door. He knew it was such a bad timing. Yeojin and him weren't in good condition and here he was sending in a not really good news for her. “Yeojin-ah.. Open up.” He said softly but there was no answer. “Yeojin-ah.. please...”

 

He assumed Yeojin didn't want to talk to him yet, but he really must tell the news to her immediately. He had no choice but to tell the news directly to her, “Yeojin-ah... It's about Angel.” True enough, Yeojin immediately opened the door.

 

“What about Angel?” She asked him worriedly. Minho couldn't answer immediately. He was still grabbing for proper explanation to tell her. “What about her? What? Are you only using her to talk to me?”

 

“No. No. Of course, not.” Minho defended. “Angel... her... her grandparents...” He said slowly. “They found me at the academy, and told me they want her back.”

 

“No.” Yeojin left him and went back inside her room. He followed as she went towards the crib and look at Angel. “How sure are you that they were her grand parents? What if they are just here to kidnap her? What if they know she isn't really ours so they are just trying to take her?”

 

“The woman who gave her to us, I met her as well.”

 

“No. No, Minho. You are just fooling around. No. Stop kidding me.” Yeojin said and looked at him. “Okay fine, I am not angry at you. I am going to talk to you normally, just please, stop kidding about Angel. It's not funny.”

 

“As much as I wanted it to be a joke, I'm afraid it isn't.” Minho said seriously. “Yeojin-ah.. I'm telling the truth.”

 

“No. I won't give her away. No. Please.” She looked at him with pleading eyes which are about to cry. “No Minho. You know how much I love her. No. Why would they just take her after giving her to me?”

 

“Please calm down.” Minho said and was about to reach for her hand when he stopped himself. He didn't know what to do just to console her. Seeing her worried and sad expression, he wanted to hug her, but afraid if she would take it negatively. “I will explain everything to you... just please, stop crying, okay?”

 

She wiped her tears, but they keep on falling and she couldn't control it. And just like Yeojin's tears, Minho couldn't control himself as well. He had to hold her hands and ask her to sit on the side of the bed together.

 

He wanted to talk, but she kept on sobbing. “Please, Yeojin...”

 

“I'm trying. I'm trying not to cry but I can't help it.” She said in the middle of her sobs. “Just talk. I will be alright.”

 

Minho saw a tissue box on the table so he took it and pull few pieces. He folded them and gently wiped the tears on her cheeks. Yeojin wasn't moving nor protesting. She was fidgeting her fingers. “I'm sorry... yet again, I'm making you sad.” He said genuinely, almost obviously expressing the fondness he was feeling towards her. “I hate that I have to break this news to you...”

 

“Just say it... I will listen.” She said in her weak and soft voice. Seeing that broke Minho's heart as well. He knew then that it would happen, but witnessing the pain of Yeojin right in front of his very own eyes, it hurt him so much.

 

He started telling her the truth. Everything Mr and Mrs Morales told him a while ago. As he told her the real story, slowly, she stopped crying and listened well. He was relieved knowing she was finally trying to understand the situation.

 

“So she only has her grand parents now? Where is her father?” She asked after Minho talked but he shook his head.

 

“They don't know where he is, but they told me if he comes out and introduces himself, then they won't take his chance of knowing his child. After all, they think that would be what their daughter wants for her child.

 

She nodded. “We have to give her back. Because she's the only gift that's left for them.” Yeojin was in the state of crying again, but she tried not to. “But Angel, she's my... my...”

 

“Shh...” Minho uttered and hushed her, holding her hand firmly giving it warmth and support. “We could still visit her. Let's ask them to allow us take a look at her from time to time.” She nodded like a lost child.

 

*** *** ***

 

“Are you ready?” Minho asked as soon as they arrived at the venue. Yeojin shook her head and looked at Angel who was sleeping on her arms. “We talked about this, didn't we?”

 

“I know... but it's hard.” She said and was about to cry again. “I know it wasn't that long since we got her, but she has become a very important part of my life. I thought she is going to be my daughter but... now she's being taken away from me.”

 

“Please, Yeojin. Don't be like this.” Minho plead, reaching for her hand and holding it tightly. “You can do this. You are strong enough for this.”

 

Few minutes later, they went out after Yeojin has finally calmed herself down. They tried to smile, to think that everything was just fine.

 

Minho saw the couple on one table inside the restaurant where they were supposed to meet. “There they are.” He whispered and lead the Yeojin to that table.

 

The couple's happiness couldn't be hidden as Minho and Yeojin approached them. Mrs. Morales held her hands together, both excited and overwhelmed to see her grand daughter. “You arrived.”

 

“Hello Mr and Mrs. Morales.” He greeted and shook hands with the both of them. “She is Yeojin. She took care of Angel all this time.”

 

“We sincerely thank you for taking care of her. Seriously, you don't know how glad we are that she was given to you.” Mrs. Morales said with a shaky voice. “Can I hold her?”

 

Yeojin nodded and smiled, slowly letting go of Angel and giving it to Mrs. Morales. She saw how happy the woman was upon seeing her grand daughter, and she knew she had no right of claiming Angel because she was never hers in the first place.

 

They talked for a while and had meals together, but Yeojin had no appetite, and Minho helped her out in hiding her sadness of giving Angel back. They didn't want to make it hard for the couple as well.

 

When Minho noticed how Yeojin was really just forcing herself to look good in front of them, he told them they should leave and go back home. The couple thanked them endlessly, and told them they are welcome to visit their house to go see Angel whenever they want, and because they were really thankful to Yeojin and to Minho, they told them they will keep her name as Angel.

 

As Minho and Yeojin went back to their car, she just rested her head on her seat and looked up. “Your seatbelt, Yeojin-ah..” Minho reminded but Yeojin didn't even move an inch. He had to lean over her to pull her seatbelt and put it on.

 

Suddenly, Yeojin's arms went around his neck and he almost stumbled towards her when she hugged him tightly. He was in such uncomfortable position and was unsteady, but he heard Yeojin's cry so he stayed still.

 

“I'm sorry... I'm sorry I know I told you I won't talk about this anymore... but the pain.. the pain is the same. I had to let her go, just like how I had to let Jonghyun go because someone else had much right to have him. But why... why do they give these people only to take them away in the end.”

 

It hurts him. It hurts that he couldn't do anything to make her feel better. “Why is it that all the people I love only leave me in the end?”

 

I won't... Minho told himself as he held her firmly while she was still crying.