Saengil chukha hamnida ~

Perfect Two

 Minho woke up the next morning with a light feeling in himself. Though he had no idea why he was feeling so energized, he stood up brightly and quickly went to the bathroom to take a bath, humming along to some songs sung by his hyung, Onew. It only took him about 30 minutes in the bathroom and he was out immediately, fixing himself as he prepared for that day in the academy.

 

Just then, his phone rang and Minho saw his mother's name on it. With a smile and a light heart, he picked it up, “Good morning, omma~” He greeted first.

 

“Happy Birthday, my son!!” His mother suddenly greeted from the other line. Minho's eyes automatically went into the calendar and saw the date: December 9. He shook his head while smiling as he realized he actually forgot his birthday. Maybe he just didn't remember it because there was no one around to remind him. Even Yeojin was clueless about his birthday so she didn't know anything. “What? Don't tell me you forgot?” Omma said in a disappointed tone.

 

“I was about to remember it, though... but you greeted me first before I was able to greet myself.” Minho uttered a lame excuse but it made his mother laughed. “Thanks, omma. It's a pity I won't be able to celebrate my birthday with you. Is this the first time?”

 

“Yes.” His mom replied. “Why don't you call up Yeojin and have some dinner with her? It would be enough.” She said indicating such a teaseful tone on her voice. She was still unaware that Yeojin was actually living with Minho – with a baby.

 

“Omma... stop it.” Minho said as he scratched his head. He didn't want her to continue anymore because he was not used on lying to his mom about anything.

 

“Aigoo~ You little kid. Anyways, what are you plans for today?”

 

“I don't know, omma... I have work until 5 pm, and after that.. I don't know where to go. I can't really celebrate alone, you know... maybe it will be better to just let this birthday pass. Let's make the party bigger on my birthday next year.”

 

“No.” His mother immediately answered. “You really need to celebrate it now. Do something. Just treat yourself in a fine dine in restaurant or go to a park or anything! Ahh... I wish I could fly there and celebrate with you, my son.”

 

“Omma...” He sighed as he adored his mother who has never failed to treat him like a young boy. “It's okay. Fine. I'll eat somewhere and will send you a photo later when I get back. Is that okay with you, omma?”

 

“That is really okay, son. I will wait for that photo, okay?”

 

They talked for several minutes more before they decided to end the call. Minho sighed and smiled to himself as he remembered how he forgot his birthday. Yes, he really forgot that it was already December 9. He decided to just eat outside just to show it to his mom and bring some food over the house to celebrate with Yeojin and Angel.

 

Few minutes later, he put the phone in his bag and was about to leave his room when he was surprised to find Yeojin behind the door. “What are you doing there?” He asked frowning.

 

“Oh. I... I was about to call you out for breakfast. I thought you weren't still up yet.” She said and nodded to herself. “You should eat and go to the academy.” Yeojin then left him and walked towards the dining area.

 

“Did something happen last night?” Minho asked as he sat down on one chairs. “And why were you sleeping on the couch again?”

 

“Oh. Did... I sleep on the couch? Then how did I...” She wasn't able to finish her sentence after seeing Minho shrugged his shoulders in a playful way. “You should have just woken me up instead of carrying me. I can walk myself alone inside the room.”

 

“I already did anyways.” He said as if it was nothing and started eating his breakfast. “You were talking in your sleep saying I should not leave you alone.” He chewed his food as he talked, and looked at Yeojin after emptying his mouth, then he smiled. “Do you always miss me?”

 

“No.” She frowned and looked at him weirdly. “I was just probably dreaming. Nevermind whatever I said last night.”

 

“But dreams are subconscious thoughts.” Minho chuckled.

 

“Then fine. I'm the kind of person who never wants to be left alone somewhere for long. So you should go home early tonight straight after your work.” She said like a boss, which made Minho looked at her in surprise.

 

“But.. I am planning to...”

 

“Go home.” She insisted with an authoritative tone. “Go home after working hours.” Yeojing then turned her back against him and went inside her room without looking back, leaving Minho speechless about how she acted in front of him.

 

He stood up and wiped his mouth while thinking. Was Yeojin originally this bossy? Has she always been the type to command rather than to please? He shook his head as he thought of her being Jonghyun's ex wife. He knew very well how Jonghyun never wanted to be commanded around. He had witnessed how Yeojin and Jonghyun were as married couple before, and often times Jonghyun would give in when Yeojin started to act sweetly to him, then where did she get the ability to boss him around as if she's the owner of the house and has the power to decide for him?

 

He shook his head again thinking that he should never compare himself to Jonghyun as regarding Yeojin's perspective. Kim Jonghyun was Yeojin's ex husband – someone she had loved – not even mentioning for how much, and him, Choi Minho, was a mere friend – a best friend maybe, who just happened to be living with her with a baby because of some situation.

 

*** *** ***

 

Minho didn't know if it was actually a good or bad thing having no one around him aware that it was his birthday. There were no greetings. There were no teases of treating them over drink. There was nothing special but a rather regular day full of running here and there because of practice.

 

At exactly 5 pm, practice with the kids was over. He was thinking what to follow: her mom's request of him having dinner, or going home early because that was what Yeojin wanted. He sighed, why does he need to follow any of the women anyway? In the end, he decided to go early and just pick the two to eat dinner together with Yeojin outside – and then maybe tell her about the occasion so she won't wonder why they had to eat outside.

 

As he entered the house, he found it weird that there was no light anywhere. “Yeojin-ah?” He called out thinking that Yeojin left with Angel somewhere, but it was almost 6pm. Where would the two go when it was almost night. “Yeo-”

 

“Saengil chukha hamnida ~ Saengil chukha hamnida ~” Suddenly, someone sang a happy birthday song and Minho was surprised. He then saw Yeojin coming forward holding a cake with a small candle on top it, making it the only source of light he was able to see. He could see Yeojin's face and she was smiling and seemingly excited that she was even wearing a party hat. “Saranghaneun, Uri Minho ~ Saengil chukha hamnida.” As she sang the last phrase, she was now standing in front of Minho, handing out the cake with a huge and happy smile on her face.

 

“What is this?” Minho asked dumbfoundedly. He was rather speechless.

 

“Make a wish before blowing your candle.” She ignored his question and asked him to make a wish. “Come on. In five seconds, you should decide on your wish and blow it.” She chuckled and Minho eventually followed.

 

He paused for a while and wished for something, and then he blew the candle and smiled. “Happy Birthday.” Yeojin uttered again.

 

“Woah. This is a surprise. How did you know?”

 

“I heard it a while ago while you were talking to your mom. I'm sorry. It was not in my intention to eavesdrop but after figuring out it is your birthday, of course, I won't let you miss the chance of celebrating it.” She seemed bright and happy. “Can you open the lights for me?” She asked sweetly which surprised Minho yet again.

 

A while ago she acted like a boss and was ordering him around, and now she talked to him like the sweetest girl she knew and even asked kindly about something. Minho went to the switch and turned it on, being surprised again with the set of foods that were on the table all prepared for him.

 

“You made all this?” He asked as he approached the table. There were a lot of dishes, including spaghetti, salad, and many more. Yeojin nodded proudly. Just then, Minho realized what she was wearing. Yeojin was in her chicken pajama outfit. The one they bought together at the department store. “Wait.. why are you...”

 

“I prepared yours in your room!” Those words made Minho rather nervous. He wasn't sure if it was actually a nightmare for his birthday.


Please read this *BLOGPOST* (special calls to all those PH Shawol Readers)