Chapter 5

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

By the time I got home, it was almost twelve. My dad gave me a key to the house so I wouldn't be locked out. Minho and Taemin left right after they made sure I got in safely. We had exchanged numbers with each other.

It was my second time walking up the path towards my house. I looked at all the details like the moss on the tree, the perfectly trimmed bushes, and the pretty LED lights that lighted up whenever it sensed motion. I thought it was a good way to save energy and save the enviroment.

As I drew near the door. I noticed the lights on. I swiped the card and entered the password. I wiped my shoes on the mat and stepped into the house.

'I'm home!" I shouted as I took of my shoes and put them into the cabinet. I noticed that the only shoes there were, were my tennis shoes and my dad's polished shoes. The huge cabinet was waiting to be filled.

I walked down the steps and toward the living room where my dad was sorting things out and putting them into shelves and cupboards.

"Did you have a good time honey?" he asked me as he dusted off his pants.

"Yeah, I did! I met the rest of SHINee and while we were there, I was introduced to two members of Big Bang!!!" I said excitedly.

"Haha, I can see you had a good time. By the way, your mom called while you were gone and she wanted to know how you were doing. Jessica and Kimberly called and told me to tell you to call back. I think you forgot to answer your phone," he said.

I looked at my phone and I had 2 missed calls. I think I didn't feel my phone vibrate. My dad cleared his throat and started to speak, "Tommorow is Sunday and you won't have school yet so I'm going to introduce you to our new butler, cook, and drivers. After that, I'll set everything up with your tutor and we'll go shopping afterwards. Sounds like a plan?" he smiled.

"I'm getting a tutor??" I asked, confused.

"Only until you are a fluent speaker in Korean. Notice, you can't speak English here as often," appa stated.

"Okay then, I'm gonna go talk to Jessica and Kim. Good night appa," I said as I gave him a hug.

"Good night," he replied as he patted my back. Appa went back to sorting as I made my way toward the second floor.

Since the lights were on, I could clearly see that there was hardwood and marble flooring everywhere. The wall was painted a pale color that matched the furniture that looked and felt expensive. Even back home, we used normal and casual looking furniture to hide the fact that we were pretty well off.

Only my best friends knew my background. Everyone at school knew I existed but they couldn't care less about what my family did since they thought I was normal as well. I think the hardest part was hiding the fact that I rode in a BMW everyday. Maybe they would find out someday. What if I became famous??! That was certainly a good dream to have.

I pulled out my laptop and logged onto my account. My friends were online and suddenly, I got many IMs that I struggled to answer. After a while I webcammed with my friends.

"Lilyyyyyyyyyyy! " Jessica shouted.

"I MISS YOU," cried Kimberly.

"Hey guys!" I waved normally as I would back home, "It's only been one school day since I left. How are things?" I asked.  My real question was: How is Danny? Does he notice I'm gone?

Jessica and Kim didn't reply right away and I knew something was up.

"Danny...he..." Kim started but didn't finish.

"He's hitting on the new girl a lot. He walked her home and such. They're practically inseperable. You should see her cling onto him. It's gross. I had no idea she was like this," Jessica finished.

I was glad Jessica was blunt unlike Kim. After hearing this, I was silent for a while as I thought about what I just heard.

It didn't make sense to be sad about it. He never liked me so I had no reason to be bitter. But the fact that he was such a flirt stabbed me harder everything time he talked to a different girl. He was mean, flirtatious, caring, smart, tall, everything a girl dreamt of, and lastly, he cheered me up when I was crying about a different guy. After he spoke to me ever so gently, I didn't notice myself falling for him. I would talk about him all the time and his whereabouts. It almost became normal to speak of him as I didn't notice myself being carried away.

I was a girl who fell for guys that wouldn't like me back simply because they thought being friends was good enough. I was 14 and I passed the phase of where I wanted someone to hold me and make me feel secure 24/7. Besides, I was too young to even have a boyfriend, or so my mom thought.

After my last experience with heartbreaks, I learned to cherish myself even more. I have never paid so much attention to school. Music was my refuge. I've always loved music, but after becoming hurt, I numbed myself every day with the same routine.

I woke up and went to school. After I came back, I closed myself in my room doing my homework at my own pace, absorbing all the information. Afterwards, I would go to music lessons or tutoring sessions. When that was done, I ate dinner, showered, and went to bed right before midnight. I did this every single day.

Oh course I hated this but it was something I did since I was young. I was always out of the house learning how to draw, swim, or dance. But as I grew older, I learned that music was my everything.

I listened to music unlike my brothers or sister. I played my ipod whenever I had the chance to. I plugged them into my ears and closed my eyes, picturing myself singing the song in front of a huge crowd at my school. I showed my talent and threw it in their faces, showing that I too had a side of me, that they've never seen. It was who I was.

I listened for rhythmic patterns and the story behind each line and phrase. I also listened to the happiness, sadness, and bitterness of the singers. I would listen to songs to put me to sleep. It was as if, they were singing me a lullaby. This is when I fell in love with Big Bang.

I first hated the idea of listening to kpop. I had no idea why I should've. I loved Korean dramas and watching them with my mom. I didn't like trying to listen to new kinds of music until I discovered Bi Rain.

Bi Rain was built and had incredible dance moves. I fell in love with his songs but as time passed by, I wanted a different kind of vibe from a different artist. I searched up the guy everyone was talking about, and it was Taeyang. I immediately fell in love with 'I need a Girl' and I love the concentration and determination in his eyes. Yes, I observed artists this way.

After listening to Taeyang, I learned that he was in a group called Big Bang. I then was in love with the maknae Seungri and the oldest member, TOP. Then after a while. I had no idea who I liked. The group would not be complete without one another. Big Bang brought me a whole new vibe and feeling that other artists did not have at all.

~~~~~~~

The whole time while I was thinking about why I ever let myself fall into Danny's wrath, I heard shouting from my laptop.

Huh?! Where is that sound coming from? I think I hear my name. I thought.

I snapped back into reality and shook my head. I felt tears coming down my eyes. I looked up into my computer screen and at my friends. They seemed alarmed and they were asking me millions of questions. I made up my mind.

"Guys," I choked, "From this moment on. I will not be the same Lily. I will not cry over Danny anymore. He will be meaningless to me even if he confesses to me one day. I will never ever shed a tear or bring my guard down because of him. I will not lose self confidence because of him. I appreciate myself and I believe someone special will too. Starting tommorow, I will be more strong, confident, and alert so that you guys won't have to worry about me. It's just like treating myself to something special after being dumped," I laughed shakily.

My friends looked worry but then they smiled. They gave me a thumbs up and an air hug. We talked a lot more and I promised to get over Danny because he way taking too much energy away from me. We talked some more and we all had to go.

"Good night Lily! I hope you feel better and don't forget to keep in touch," they exclaimed at the same time.

"Thanks girls! And I will. I will start fresh and forget about the past," I said smiling, "Gooodnight!"

 

I signed off and exited from the window and shut down my laptop. I looked around my room and decided to put everything into place. It felt like the organizing I was doing, was like organizing my thoughts and feelings. The only way to get over him was to be productive and positive.

I put all my clothes away, connected all of the wires, hung up my pictures, put all of my books where they belonged, and wiped everything clean. By the time I was done organizing and showering. It was 4am and I was still awake.

I turned off my lamp and jumped into bed. I closed my eyes and almost fell alseep until I jumped back to check my phone. Since my volume was down I missed a couple of calls and texts. I guess they missed me that much. LOL. Instead, I listened to the 20 voicemails and 30 texts that read.

"HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY LILY! I HOPE YOU HAVE AN AWESOME TIME IN KOREA! WE MISS YOU ALREADY!  LOVE YOU<3."

It was my birthday? I turned my lamp back on and ran to the calendar. And there it was, a red X on the day, May 8, 2011. It must've been the jet lag. STUPID jet lag messes up my brain. That probably explained why I was organzing my stuff without a single yawn. I smiled to myself and walked back toward the bed.

"Happy Birthday Choi Hee Young," I said to myself.

 

This time, I turned my lamp off again and fell into a deep sleep.