Chapter 32

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

"FA FA FA!" we sang. It was the first day of training and all of our throats were sore. No matter how much water we chugged down, two straight hours of holding out notes was wearing us out. 

"Okay! One more octave and we'll be done with out lesson today!" the teacher said enthusiastically. 

That's when we heard voice cracks and thank goodness mine didn't. It was hilarious hearing the guys crack. 

"Wow! We have some girls here who haven't cracked yet!" the teacher clapped. 

"Yoon Hana, Choi Heeyoung, and Lee Yunmi. Let's have a battle shall we?" the teacher suggested.

Everyone cheered because it meant that they didn't have to hold out the notes the teacher played on the piano. 

"Okay, let's start with G. Yoon Hana let's go," the teacher smiled. Hana fixed her position and smiled confidently. 

Right at this moment, YG walked in with Taeyang and Minzy. The teacher acknowledged them and YG told her to proceed and not mind them. They were just checking out the new trainees. 

Yoon Hana seemed even more confident and she looked at me before holding out her note. 

"Very well. Choi Heeyoung," the teacher said, looking at me. I cleared my throat softly. 

"Memory-yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy," I held out on a G. 

"Thank you. Yunmi, your turn," the teacher said. She played the G again. 

"Memoryyyyyyyyyyyyyy," she held out. 

"Okay next octave," she said. Now YG, Taeyang, and Minzy were sitting in the back of the room. He was eyeing me. I just looked away uneasily. I felt bad for barking at him with all those rude things I said. 

"MEMORYYYYYYY," Hana's voice got louder as she had to reach a higher pitch. I could tell she was running out of breath. 

"Memoryyyyyyyyyy," I held out. 

"Memoryyyyyyyyyy," Yunmi held out.

"Okay, thank you Hana. Now we have our final two. Yunmi and Heeyoung," the teacher said. Hana just flipped her hair, crossed her leg and displayed a 'whatever' image. I felt embarassed for her behavior. 

"How about a few lines?" YG asked.

"That's a brilliant idea. What song shall we sing Mr. President?" she asked happily. 

"How about Taeyang's Only Look at Me?" the president smiled widely. 

"Shall you sing a few lines Taeyang-shhi?" the teacher asked. 

"Ahh Yeh," he smiled.

Naega baram pyeodo neoneun jeoldae pijima baby
Naneun neoreul ijeodo neon nareul itjima lady
Gakkeum naega yeollagi eopgo sureul masyeodo
Hoksi naega dareun eotteon yeojawa
Jamsi nuneul matchwodo neon naman barabwa

The last word of every line was one octave higher. He had to be kidding me. 

"Yunmi first," the teacher pointed. 

"Try standing," Mr. president said. She nodded and took a stance. I stood up too. 

She was smart and started on a lower G octave. She sang the lines perfectly. She started to gain some more confidence. I, on the other hand was extremely nervous. Now all eyes were on me. 

Naega baram pyeodo neoneun jeoldae pijima baby
Naneun neoreul ijeodo neon nareul itjima lady
 

"Mianhamnida, I don't know the rest of the lines," I apologized. I looked at YG and the teacher apologetically. 

"What a pity, I really enjoyed listening to your voice," YG said. I didn't know what to make of the look in his eyes. I was really disappointed and I wanted to cry. I bowed at him.

"Well Yunmi here is our winner! Great job everyone, I'll see you guys on Wednesday! You are dismissed," she clapped. I smiled at Yunmi and said 'good job' to her. She smiled at me too, trying to hide her happiness. 

"Come on, I think you did great!" Sae encouraged. 

"Lee Saegyeong!" someone called. 

"Yeh," she answered. 

"Come with me to my office please," the lady said.

"I'll see you at home!" Sae said. 

I nodded and slung my bag over my shoulder. Disappointed and the words 'what a pity' ran through my mind endlessly. This was only the beginning. I was in my own world now. I didn't really notice where I was going except for the fact that I haven't hit a wall yet. 

What this really what I wanted? I would call my sister, brother, and mom tonight. 

"Are you alright?" Jihoon and SeungTae asked. 

"Of course," I smiled.

"Well I think you did great!" Jihoon smiled brightly.

"Mee too!" SeungTae fist pumped. I laughed at their expression.

Hana just walked past us with a loathsome face. 

"What's here problem?" Jihoon asked.

"Don't mind her. She just thinks that she's so good cause she has a celebrity brother," SeungTae pointed out.

"You know about that too?" I asked.

"Well I went to school with her and plus it somehow spread around here as a rumor," he explained.

"How did you know?" he asked me.

"Well Sae told me..." I said.

"Yeah, they were the biggest enemies at school. I personally like Sae better, she's really nice," he said.

"Were you guys friends?" Jihoon asked him. 

"Well..I.." he said uneasily.

"Well what?" Jihoon and I asked in unison.

"Let's just say I wasn't very popular. I was a nerd," he said.

"Oh," we mouthed. He smiled shyly.

"It's okay! I think you're really cool," I smiled. I couldn't tell he was a nerd. Come on, this dude had a fohawk. 

"Hey, what's your English name?" he asked suddenly.

"Lily," I replied.

"How old are you again?" Jihoon asked.

"16, you?" I asked.

"Yes!" they high-fived.

"What?" I asked.

"Call us oppa," they smiled. I rolled my eyes at them. 

"Oppa. Happy?" I asked.

"Very," they smiled. I noticed we were still in the classroom and Taeyang, YG, and Minzy were talking to the teacher.

"Oh, I think we should go out," I whispered.

"Crap, I think we should," SeungTae said. We grabbed our stuff and headed out into the hallway. 

"Yeah, let's head home," Jihoon suggested. We nodded in unison. We started for the elevator until someone called me. It didn't seem like someone I knew. 

"Heeyoung," the girl called. It turned out to be Yunmi. 

"Oh hey," I smiled. I waved to the guys. I walked towards Yunmi. 

"I personally think you did great. I think you deserved to win," she said softly.

"Wae? I don't think I did great," I laughed. She seemed serious and a little unusual. She stuttered a little. 

"Hey, gwenchanayo?" I asked.

"Mhmm," she mumbled, looking left to right. Then all of a sudden, these girls came out of nowhere and put their arms over my shoulders and forced me somewhere. 

"Hey, where are we going?" I asked, a little scared but more suprised.

"You'll see American girl," the big girl said with an emphasis on American. 

What the hell. This was not good. I was dumped into a closet and the door closed. Before the door closed, they said.

"We hope to never see you in this building ever again," they snickered. 

"HEY! OPEN UP!' I yelled. I pounded on the metal door.

"Damn it," I looked for my bag and for my phone. I opened it but there was no battery. They took out my battery?! 

"What the hell, this is so irritating. If they think they can get me to quit, they're wrong. No how do I get out of this place?!" I wondered. I started pounded again. This time, I didn't stop pounding. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where did that girl go? I want to apologize. Why do I want to apologize to a teenage girl? She's just a friend...Why do I feel some pull towards her? You barely even know this girl Youngbae. I just saw her with those two guys. Just then, I saw her friend...I think.

"Yah, how come you're not home? You didn't escape after the first day right? Pick up your phone, I'm worried sick," the girl said on her phone.

I looked at my watch. It was two hours after class ended. Trainees should be home by now. 

"Where is Heeyoung?" the girl asked herself. She seemed really worried. Right when she noticed me there, she was suprised and bowed.

"Annyeonghasaeyo sunbaenim," she said. I acknowledged her. 

Should I ask her about Heeyoung? How would she even react if I told her about Heeyoung. I don't think we were friend friends. More like less than strangers. Crap. All we do is argue. Speaking of argue, Heeyoung doesn't treat me like other little girls. Oppa this and oppa that. I chuckled to myself. 

I didn't catch myself doing this until I saw the girls bewilderd look.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Me?" she asked, pointing to herself. No the person behind you. Wait there was a person.

"Lee Saegyeong," she said. I nodded.

"Hyung!" Minho called.

"Hey," I nodded towards him. Saegyeong turned around and looked at him. She bowed at him and me before slowly walking away. She seemed interesting. 

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Well, I wanted to visit you guys but Heeyoung in particular.

"Hey guys," Key said, jogging up to us.

"Hey," we acknowledged. 

"Well, I'm not sure where she is but I saw her in vocal training earlier," I answered.

"I went to her dorm, but she's not there," he said.

"Are you Heeyoung's cousin?" Saegyeong asked, suddenly coming back. Key eyed her. She bowed at him. 

"Yes, and you are?" Minho asked slowly.

"Annyeonghasaeyo, I'm Lee Saegyeong and Heeyoung's roomate," she said.

"Ahh, have you seen her?" he asked.

"I just went there and now I'm looking for her here. I've asked around but no one seems to know," she explained. 

Just then, the girl who lost in the vocal battle walked by in a peculiar pace. She had her head down and walked really quickly with her friend.

"Yoon Hana," Saegyeong called, a little too loud.

"Yes?" she answered a little too sweetly.

"Have you seen Heeyoung?" Saegyeong asked.

"Who's that?" she asked, pondering the name.

"Forget it," Saegyeong said bitterly before looking away. When they walked far enough I thought I heard the word ''. Saegyeong's fist tightened but she quickly brushed it off. 

"Let's go look for her. We'll go in pairs?" Key suggested.

"Seems good. Let's go," I said to Saegyeong. 

We headed left and the others right. This building was huge but we would search until we find her. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's starting to be really could in here. I kept on pounding for what seemed like 6 hours although I'm sure it wasn't that long. I would call Sae but my stupid battery is not in the stupid phone. 

After a while, my hand could not take it anymore. It was read a swollen from pounding endlessly.

Here I was, stuck in a janitor's closet with a bunch on dirty rags and what not. What caught my attention were all these girl group magazines. Oh boy. 

This janitor must be obsessed with 2ne1, SNSD, and T-ara by the amount of magazines there were. 

I sat down on the cold floor and rested my head on the door. How long would I have to wait here? Would anyone find me before my body rots? I sure hope I would survive to see daylight. 

What a way to start training.