Chapter 20

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

For the past two days I drank tons of water to keep my voice smooth. I didn't see Sae much but she called and told me that SM Entertainment was holding auditions just like YG. I could tell that Sae practiced constantly since she sang me a segment of her song. During these two days, I had classes until the early afternoon with Mrs. Yang. I improved my speaking and she was pleased with me. I practiced my song all the time and at last, I was satisfied with where I was. I decided to dance and practice my speaking skills.

~~~~~~~~~

"Tommorow's the day! I'm a little worried," I said to my dad.

"No need to be worried Lily. To be honest I'm glad you take after Nick. Jae and Emma really have no intuition whenever it comes to music," he assured me.

"Well at least they have the brains," I laughed.

"I'm glad the four of you are such great kids. Jae is very wise while Emma is very considerate and thoughtful. Even though troublemaker Nick is what he is, I'd say he is very protective of you. And as for you, I'd say you are secretly the smartest. You have these loopholes that you take advantage of. I'd have to say I've done a good job of raising you kiddos," dad smiled smugly.

"Did you know Nick is coming to Japan next week?" I asked.

"Ah, Nick told me he'll be staying in Tokyo and since he has three months before school starts, he'll stay here for a while," he said.

"Awesome! I gotta go get ready for tommorow! Night daddy," I said, giving him a bear hug.

"Night kiddo," he hugged me back.

I showered and changed into my PJs. I dried my hair and brought out my clothes. I wrote myself a love note so that I would not forget to bring water tommorow. I gave myself a pep talk and jumped into bed.

That night I dreamt of three evil judges who said whoever took a sip of water would be a cheater. They put the people with water bottles into a tank and told them to drink all they wanted. Thank goodness I forgot to read my note and bring bottled water.

"What the heck?" I mumbled as I sat up. It was 3 in the morning and I was really tired. I took a sip of water and went back to sleep.

 

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

 

My hand landed onto the off button on my alarm clock. 6:30 AM it read.

I jumped up and brushed my teeth and washed my face. I decided not to wear retainers so that it would not affect my pronounciation. I slipped into my skinny jeans. I put on my tank top and shirt and I put on my cardigan. After putting on my acessories, I walked back into the bathroom.

I put lotion on my face and I plucked my brows so that they kept their shape. I applied eyeliner and mascara after curling my eyelashes. I fixed my bangs and curled my hair to make it wavy at the ends. I went downstairs and ate my breakfast in no time. Sae was going to pick me up and we would go to the audition waiting room together.

After eating my breakfast, I flossed and brushed my teeth. I used chapstick and got a bottle of water. I turned off my phone and left it in my bag along with some other things.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Omoo, it's huge," Sae gasped.

We stood in front of the YG Entertainment building. They were holding auditions in the Dance studios.

"Well well well, lookie what we've got here," said a snickering voice.

Sae stood still and I turned my head to the right.

"What's up Saegyeong? You ready to make a fool of yourself just like last time?" she smirked. The female had nice features and she carried herself as if everything revolved around her.

"Come on Hee Young, let's go," Sae said as she grabbed my arm. We fast walked all the way until we found seats in the waiting room.

"What was that about?" I asked as she sat me down.

"That girl, Yoon Hana, thinks she's all that cuz she knows Gdragon. Anyway, she's the sister of Yoon Doojoon," she waved it off.

"Yoon Doojoon? Like B2ST's leader?" I asked, clearly surprised.

"Yup. That's the one. Because of that, everyone treats her like a queen at school and out of school. I'm guessing she knows Gdragon because of Doojoon," she told me.

"Wow," I didn't say anything about Minho, SHINee, or Big Bang because I wanted to keep things on the down low, plus I just got to know them.

"Lee Saegyeong, please get ready!" the door moniter shouted to the hundreds of people. Even though he had a mic, you could barely hear him over the roars of laughter and small talk.

It didn't really make sense how people could be not so serious since they were joking off, but afterall, people act weird when their nerves kick in.

"Oh gosh. I'm nervous Hee Young, but not because of Hana. It's not like this is her first time auditioning," she grinned. I nodded, not wanting to smile back.

"Anyway, I'm gonna go get in line! Wish me luck!" she clapped. I laughed at her enthusiasm.

"You can do it Lee Saegyeong! Aja aja hwaiting!" I fist pumped. She smiled at me.

"By the way Hee Young, you look really pretty today, not that you aren't pretty, you know what I mean," she smiled.

"Anywhooo, gotta run!"

I waved to her and as she approached the moniter, she gave me one last look before going into the studio.

"Choi Hee Young, please line up by studio 4 to the right," shouted a different moniter.

As I lined up, I saw the girl named Yoon Hana. She looked at me as if she were bored. I was slightly taken back but I never showed my emotions since I was little. My head would have small battles but I would never say anything. It always helped to be observant instead of being worked up over little things that didn't matter at all.

Hana walked in and I saw the studio. There were three judges and nothing else. I couldn't tell who they were but there were two guys and a girl.

After 4-5 minutes or so, it was my turn. The door moniter gave me a signal and I took a deep breath. You can do this Lily Choi. Nothin is gonna stop you from what you want.

Even though I wasn't fully determined like Sae, I wanted to test my skills and talent. If I made it, of course I would be thrilled. If I didn't make it, I wouldn't be discouraged, but rather, I'd have a goal to strive to.

~~

I walked into the room and I set my bag down. There was a piano in the middle since I requested one for my performance.

"Annyeonghasaeyo, Ms. Choi Hee Young?" asked a really familiar guy.

It can't be Se7en can it?

"Neh," I answered.

"I'm Se7en and I will score you on originality," he said. I nodded.

"Annyeong, I'm a producer here at YG Entertainment and I will score you on how you present yourself, looks, and your appearance on stage," another guy said.

The lady in the middle spoke. I could tell she was going to be a strict judge.

"Annyeong, I will score you on vocals, how you project your voice, and all of the small details," she said.

I nodded and she spoke again.

"We will ask you a few questions and please try to answer," she said.

"Neh," I said.

"Where are you from?"

"California, USA"

"Do you currently reside here? And why?"

"Yes. My father came here to do business,"

The looked at each other and nodded.

"What languages do you speak?"

"English, Chinese, and Korean,"

"Okay, that is all we need to know for now. Please show us what you prepared,"

I nodded and I took a seat at the piano. I closed my eyes and hymed the key in my head. I took a deep breath and placed my fingers on the keys.

 

 

If you can perform perfectly at recitals and conventions, three judges will be no problem.