Chapter 3

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

Minho drove up into a driveway of our new house. It had clean lines and simple landscaping. What caught my attention was that there was ceiling to floor windows and two balconies.

"Wow," I gasped. Our house in Los Angeles didn't have some of the architectural details this house did. I couldn't wait to go inside.

Minho and taemin helped us with our luggage as they were alreading walking up the walkway. My dad opened the house with the keys we recieved from the realtor through the mail. He entered a new password and swiped the car and soon enough we walked through the gate. In stepped onto a chocolate wood plank flooring that led to the house. Beside us were a couple of trees, shrubs, and flowers that somehow grew its way through the flooring.

My dad unlocked the door and entered through the front door. Before us was a pitch black room. It was 8pm in Seoul and the jet lag was kicking in. If I didn't see light soon, I was going to knock out on the spot.

 Minho and Taemin were right behind me as they held the door for me to enter first. Aww, gentlemen I thought.

The room before my eyes lit up as my dad flicked on the light switch. Right in front me was a large living, kitchen, and dining room all grouped together without any walls seperating them. The room was very spacious and airy. The furniture was clean, crisp, and cozy all at the same time. But what caught my attention the most was a platform. An on the platform was a grand piano that was white.

Wow I thought. By the time Minho and Taemin brought the luggage in I already made my way towards the piano. Slowly, I touched the keys one my one. The familiarity of piano keys made me feel safe, the feeling you would have at home. As I felt the keys I couldn't resist but press down on them. Unaware of anyone around me, I sat down on the bench and broke into the melody of Prelude. I swayed with the music, absorbing the sounds one by one. My attention was lured in by the sound of the piano. An excellent piano I admitted to myself.

By the time my fingers came to a stop, I heard clapping coming from the behind me. My dad, Minho, and Taemin were clapping for me. By the look on Minho's face, he was suprised. By the look on Taemin's face, he was just as suprised but shocked. My dad approved of my playing.

I didn't blame Minho or Taemin if they were suprised. I certainly did not look like a person who would produce that kind of that sound. If you took a look at me. My hair didn't resemble the kind that goody-two shoes had. My hair was long and slightly layered. I had sideswept bangs that were soon to cover my eyes. Underneath those layers I had an auburn colored tail. The clothes I were wearing at the moment were dark skinny jeans, with a black hoodie and vans. Let's just say I didn't look like a good girl.

I didn't have weirdly died hair or odd piercings or a bad attitude. My friends described me as a really nice, caring good girl who at the first impression comes off as serious, quiet, and cold. They said I was a female version of TOP. I didn't think he was like that but hey, who knows. 

 

I snapped back into attention as Taemin started to speak.

"You were like an angel that came from heaven to play such a beautiful song for us," he swooned. He immediately stopped as Minho slapped the back of his head.

"Hey, I was just saying you know," Taemin said as he rubbed his head with a pout. I swear, Taemin is just so cute sometimes. I laughed for the first time after arriving in Korea. I never laughed that much even back in California. I didn't think anything was boring, just that it wasn't truly amusing. Maybe that's why it took people a while to warm up to me. I guess those who are true friends do whatever it takes to understand me. I wasn't deep, just practical.

"Come on Lily, I'll show you around," Minho said as he smiled warmly and led the way. I wonder how he knew where things were.

"Taemin, a couple of my friends, and I helped prepare the rooms so we know where things are. If you look left, that's your dad's room. To the right is a private study/office for your dad. There are two master bedrooms in this house, since there are the two of you," he explained.

We walked further down the hallway and reached another room. I'm guessing that this is my room. We were on the second floor and the view out the large windows were amazing since we lived in an elevated area. We had a couple of neighbors that lived a little further from us, like a couple of blocks. I would discover who they were tommorrow.

"Here you are. This is your room. My friends CL and Bom from a group called 2NE1 helped prepared your room. I don't think you know that your dad sent a picture of your old room. They tried their best on their down time to help replicate everything. I hope you like it," he said.

I slowly opened the double doors. I took my time to enter and by the time I stepped through the door frame, the feeling of the flooring felt different. The lights flickered on. I could not process what was in front of me. It the exact same room except the fact that the furniture had a more grown up feel to it now. I'm starting to think that furniture have character too. The walls were a light shade a of gray. The furniture was mixed with the colors of dark brown, light brown, and white. My bed made me want to jump into it. The bedding was a sweet shade of pink, almost like a shade of coral pink. The room had hints of blue, my favorite color. I had a desk in front of a large window with ceiling to floor curtains. I also had a balcony. It wasn't a typical balcony. It was only large enough for two people to stand on. The balcony had a little roof over it, almost like a hideout. The flooring was a plushy carpet and had lots of pillows and christmas lights on the railing. There was a tiny bookshelf, and in the corner was my guitar.

"I don't know what to say," I gasped. I was so suprised, happy, and thankful that these people took their own to help build my room.

Minho was chuckling and smiling widely.

"You don't have to say anything but 'thank you' to me and my friends. Afterall I'm your cousin," he said seriously. I immediately stopped in my tracks and turned around to see that he was very serious. For once, I was alarmed and scared of anyone who spoke like that.

We stayed in a face to face expressionless motion until he started to laugh. He laughed a lot. And loudly.

Soon after, he sat at the edge of my bed to catch his breath. Boy, how old is he? HE is SCARING ME.

"Oh aigoo, my cousin is too cute," he said as he wacked my arm lightly.

I immediately rubbed my arm and scowled a little. He seemed to notice and look up.

"Oh sorry, did that hurt?" he asked.

"CHYEA, it did," I complained as I thought how could he could be so strong.

"Let me see," Minho said as he came closer to examine my arm. When he leaned in, I thought boy, this is akward. I barely know him for how long to learn that he is my cousin? But still he is a stranger...

The moment I was going to say I was fine, he leaned in to look at my arm and we bumped heads.

"OWWW!" we exclaimed at the same time while rubbing our heads.

We slowly looked up to notice the same facial expressions that both mirrored each other. Not long after we looked at each other, we burst into laughter. It wasn't those typical laughs. It was a laugh that made me feel very warm and familiar. It was a good laugh that made my stomach hurt.

After we regained our breaths, Minho stuck out his hand.

"Nice to meet you Lily. From this moment on, I will be the best cousin you'll ever have! I'm sorry if I haven't fully introduced myself yet. I'm Choi Minho and like Taemin downstairs, we are from a boy band called SHINee. If you don't recognize us, I'd say we are pretty popular," he said with a wide grin.

I laughed at his fake cockiness and shook his hand.

"Hi, Minho, I'm Lily Choi and I will be the best cousin you'll ever have!" I said copying his words with a laugh.

'Wait no nononono no. You cannot call me by my name little girl," he said chuckling.

"Why not? You have another name?" I asked, clearly confused.

"In Korea, we don't normally call people by their names unless they are younger. I'm 19 years old, you?" he asked.

"14," I responded. I thought he was at least 22. WOWW.

"See. I'm older so a word you could use to address me is oppa which means older brother or sachon that means cousin. I'd prefer oppa," he said.

"Oh okay then! so oppa?" I asked. I wasn't used to this. It felt so icky. LOL.

"Minho oppa is how you would address me," he stated.

"Minho oppa, beh go pa," I said smiling.

He laughed and nodded. "Me too. Come on, I know where we can go to eat. If it's okay with your dad, I'd like you to meet the rest of SHINee."

"Okay!" I nodded. I could feel myself warm up to him, and for him the same.

 

He looked down at his arm and I linked mine through it. With that, my dad, Minho oppa, Taemin oppa, and I went to eat and meet the rest of SHINee.