Chapter 4

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

My dad decided he was going to unpack some things so Minho, Taemin, and I decided to meet up with the rest of SHINee.

"You're gonna love them Lily, just wait and see. They're like normal people so you don't have to be intimidated or anything," Minho said to me while driving.

"Are you gonna go by Lily or Hee Young from now on?" Taemin asked as he looked back at me. Minho and Taemin were in the front while I sat at the back seat.

"Uhhh, I guess I'll go by Hee Young," I replied.

"By the way, you have to call me oppa too!" he smiled. I nodded and called him Taemin oppa.

We drove for another five minutes and pulled into a vacant spot in the parking lot. We were going to get Korean BBQ and tofu pot. My stomach grumbled to the thought of that. Goodbye American food I thought even though I loved Korean food.

We entered the restaurant and a group of boys waved at us from the far corner. Minho was already walking over and Taemin was right beside me. I think he knew how it felt to be the youngest and being introduced to a bunch of strangers.

Taemin gave me a look and whispered, "Don't worry Hee Young, don't be nervous."

I glanced at him and nodded a little. I especially hated being introduced to new people because I didn't know WHAT to do. I didn't want to be anti-social and akward.

"Hyungs! Look who I brought," Minho exclaimed. What was he doing??!! Being introduced to strangers is bad enough but when you're introduced to SUPERSTARS oh boy oh boy.

Minho glided to my left and put his arm around me neck.

I recieved puzzled looks from three other guys. They looked at each other and finally after a long enough stare, they waved and said," annyeonghaseyo."

I bowed and greeted them. "Hi, I'm Choi Hee Young."

I think I just spoke in English. WHOOOPS.

They looked confused and then one of them stood up and walked toward me.

"Hi, I'm Lee Jinki. You can call me Onew," he said as he stuck out his hand. I shook his hand and I was greeted by another boy named Kim Jonghyun. Lastly, I was greeted by another boy named Kim Kibum a.k.a Key.

We all sat down and the waitress came over to our table. On the look on her face, she looked like she has never seen SHINee before. She was shocked that she was the server for the night. Her shocked expression immediately changed to a soft personality overflowing with aegyo.

Wow I thought. Before she came, she had a scowl on her face like she was gonna eat us up. Now look at her. I hate fakes.

Just as I looked up, the waitress had a face that read "Who the heck is this ?" 

I couldn't believe it. Seriously this girl. You know what. THIS AHJUMMA. HAH IN YOUR FACE. Trying to mug me, psh.

As she was mugging me for more than two seconds. Key seemed to notice and he didn't seem too thrilled.

"Excuse me miss. If you are going to continue to stare at my friend like that, I think I'm going to switch a new server," he said politely yet firmly.

She looked apologetic for a second and bowed three times, I dunno why. She handed us the menus and walked away quickly with her head down.

Wow, Key just backed me up. As I looked at him, he looked up and I looked away quickly. AKWARD TURTLES. I didn't think the guys noticed the waitress thingy since they were so busy chatting.

Jonghyun signaled for the waitress and came a new waiter. LOL I thought, someone's embarassed. 

This time Key and I looked at each other and laughed. He couldn't muffle his laughter as Onew shot him a "what the heck are you laughing at" look. I think Onew noticed me laughing along with Key as he grew suspicious.

Key stuck out his knuckle and I pounded it. He smiled and said once again, "Nice to meet you."

After a little while the food came. Everyone except for Onew and I ordered bbq. We ordered tofu pot instead. I wanted something warm with rice.

Everyone one was talking away as Onew and I were distracted by the delicious tofu.

As I was about to take a bite, Taemin shouted, "Omo! Taeyang hyung! Daesung hyung!!!!"

I didn't really pay attention to what was going on. I'm a growing girl and I'm hungry.

They were ordering takeout and after Taemin's shouting, Taeyang and Daesung jerked their necks back and they had no idea who was calling them until they noticed a jumpy Taemin. They smiled and walked over. Their takeout wasn't going to be ready for a while. Taeyang had a genuine smile and Daesung was really warm and patted Taemin's shoulder.

"Aiiyyyyyy TAAEMIIIIINNN-AAHHHHHHHH!" he exclaimed as they exchanged hugs. "Long time no see!" he said in Korean.

Taeyang gave him a one arm hug and asked him how he was doing. Daesung and Taeyang greeted the rest of SHINee with one arm hugs and smalltalk. 

After a couple of spoonfuls, I took a sip of my iced water. I answered texts from my best friends as I heard Minho calling me.

"Hee Young! Come here," he called.

I walked beside them and I couldn't believe it. I was so into my food I didn't realize it was TAEYANG AND DAESUNG!!! OMOMOGGMGMGMGOMGOMOMGOMGOMGit's TAEYANG AND DAESUNG!!!!!!

They looked at me and I bowed.

"Annyeonghasayo," I said.

They aknowledged me and greeted me. Thank goodness for Taemin and Minho who did the talking for me. They introduced me as Minho's cousin and that I just arrived in Korea today.

Taeyang didn't speak since Daesung spoke a lot. He asked me simple questions in English and I laughed. I explained in simple English that I could understand Korean except I wasn't that fluent in speaking.

After a couple of questions their order was ready and they said their goodbyes. Taeyang took one last look at me as I turned to say goodbye. I noticed his quick glance from the corner of my eye.

Shortly after, we finished our food and we were laughing and cracking jokes. Key, Onew, and Jonghyun gave me "permission" to call them oppa saying that not all girls can call them that. In my head, I was secretly laughing. They asked me about my hobbies, family, and why I came to Korea. I asked them a couple of questions and they answered also.

The waiter gave us a bill and they each argued that they would pay. At last, Minho paid saying that afterall it was his idea to eat out.

We exited the restaurant and we were saying goodbyes for the day. They three of them hugged me goodbye and Minho and Taemin got reminders that practice was tommorow. Taemin groaned and Minho nodded. I laughed at Taemin and he winked at me. Taemin and I walked to the car and he said," See, I told you it wasn't going to be bad."

"But I didn't even say that it was going to be bad," I protested.

"I can tell by the look on your face," he grinned.

I had a scowl on my face as I buckled by seat belt.

 

He was right. It wasn't so bad afterall. I made new friends and got introduced to two of Big Bang's members. What a day! I guess this trip to Korea was right, I needed to get away from Danny and start fresh. I was going to enjoy these five years and make the best out of it. Afterall, I had nothing to lose.