Chapter 18

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

It's been a week since I've been sick and a week since I dropped that bowl which revealed Taeyang's satisfaction of teasing me. I donn't know how I felt about him, but there was this kind of attraction around him. Something must be wrong with me.....

I had my lesson today and I took a test Mrs. Yang gave me. I got 90% and I was pretty suprised since I winged it. I guess learning how to read and write isn't so bad afterall. The writing wasn't as bad as Chinese characters, which contained many .

When Mrs. Yang left I decided to walk Max since I wanted to be committed to walking him every day. We walked around the park and I saw Saegyeong around the corner.

"Annyeong!" I called out to her.

She turned around and she seemed to have been crying. She quickly wiped her tears away and forced a smile as she walked over.

"Annyeong Hee Young," she smiled sadly.

"What's wrong?" I asked carefully and worriedly.

She walked past me slowly and I followed her to a nearby bench.

After a couple of breathes and her breathing calmed down, she spoke.

"You'll probably think it's funny why I'm crying over a little thing, but I'll tell you," she started.

I shook my head and I indicated her to go on.

"My mom promised me I could audition for YG Entertainment. The audition is in 3 days and now my dad is discouraging me. All of a sudden he just disagrees with my mom and my mom can't do much about the temper of his," she sighed.

"YG Entertainment?" I asked interested.

"Neh, I want to give it a shot since they don't recruit trainees very often. Everyone at my school, especially the girls, are trying out," she added.

"Well, why does he object? The audition is not the final decision," I inquired.

"That's exactly what my mom and I said. But right after we said that, he gave me the silent treatment and he wouldn't speak to my mom very much," she answered.

"And I don't want him to treat my mom like that so I just stopped talking about it. I'm thinking about secretly trying out," she said softly as she picked the petals off of a flower. Max  jumped onto the bench and sat beside us, looking around.

"What's your dream job?" Saegyeong asked.

"Pretty much what you want to do," I replied.

"Really?! I have an idea," she said with more energy. She dropped the flower and she stood up in front of me.

"Hee Young, we should try out together! If my dad sees that a friend of mine tries out, he'll feel that this is normal for girls our age," she gleamed.

"Tryyy-try out?!" I asked with my mouth open.

"Neh! Would you want to give it a shot? But more importantly, will your parents agree with it?" she asked hopeful.

"Well my house is around the corner, you wanna come along? My dad is home," I told her.

"Hold on. We need to properly introduce ourselves first, it's kind of weird to walk into your home if I barely know you. I'm not being mean but I think it's necessary," she said seriously.

"Okay, well my name is Choi Hee Young and I'm 15," I said.

"I'm Lee Saegyeong and I'm 15 too," she introduced, "By the way, I go by Sae."

"Okay Sae. Nice to meet you!" I smiled as I stuck out my hand.

"Nice to meet you Hee Young," she laughed as she shook my hand.

"Let's go home Max!" I said as he jumped off of the bench.

We walked home and Sae was right beside me. We talked and laughed along the way. It was really easy to warm up to her and she had a lot of funny remarks which made me laugh like crazy.

We arrived at my house and I entered the passcode and my card. I took of my shoes and Max wiped his paws and he ran upstairs. I told Sae it was okay to come in and she followed.

"I'm home!" I called out.

"In the office Lily," my dad answered.

"Come on," I smiled. I motioned for her to come and she walked behind me.

I knocked on the door and I peeked in.

"Is it okay if I have a friend over?" I asked.

"May I ask who?" he said looking up.

I motioned her to come in and she stood beside me.

"Annyeonghasaeyo, I'm Lee Saegyeong," she bowed.

"Oh, you must be the girl Hee Young met the other day," my dad smiled.

We all talked in the study and Mr. Cho brought us some snacks and juice. 

We talked for a while and finally my dad felt that I wanted to discuss something.

"May I ask if there is anything you guys want to say?" he asked nicely.

"Dad, you know of YG Entertainment right?' I asked.

"Yes, I've heard," he answered curiously.

"Well Sae wants to try out and she wants to have me try out with her. We think her dad will be more approving of her decision if I try out with her," I started, "And if he sees a friend of hers trying out, he'll think it's okay too. Plus, there probably aren't a lot chances I can make it, so I'll try out with her for the heck of it," I ended.

He nodded and twirled his pen. He looked up at Sae and at me. Sae seemed really nervous but if I was her, I'd be really nervous as well.

"When is the audition?" he asked Sae.

"In three days Mr. Choi," she replied.

"I see that Hee Young should start practicing something presentable," he smiled.

"Really?!" we almost screamed.

"Under one condition," he said.

"What is it?" I asked slowly.

"If you are going to try out, I suggest you try your best so that even if you don't make it, you wouldn't have wasted the judges' time," he said.

"Neh, I will try my best," I promised.

"Good, that's what I need to hear," he said. He needed to get back to work so Sae decided to go home.

"Thank you so much Hee Young! I have a question though. What are you going to," she asked, a little concerned.

"Oh, I listen to kpop all the time and I can dance to mostly Big Bang and Beast songs," I replied.

"What about singing?" she asked again.

'I think singing is easier than speaking, but I need to fix some of my pronounciation," I answered.

She nodded in understanding. After we talked for some more, she had to go home to tell her dad. She said she would come and tell me his decision tomorrow.

I closed the gate and walked back to my house. Before dinner I looked up the requirements and guidelines to trying out.

AUDITIONS FOR YG ENTERTAINMENT TRAINEE PROGRAM

REQUIREMENTS:

Age:At least 15 years of age

Height:163 cm and over

Note* The rest will be varified in front of a panel of judges.

WHAT TO PREPARE:

You may sing/and or dance to a song of your choice. The song should not exceed more than 4 minutes. The judges will not stop you so please be prepared to perform throughout the whole song without pausing.

IMPORTANT DATES:

May 30-Auditions

June 2-Second Cut

June 5-Final Decision

June 6-Enrollment for Qualified Individuals

Attached below is a form for those who wish to audition.

----------------------------cut out and return------------------

Last Name   First Name

 

Age         Height    Gender

 

Contact Number    Email Adress

 

Prepared Act

Singing()  Dancing()  Both()

 

Signature    Parent/Guardian Signature  

 

Thank you for choosing YG Entertainment.Best of luck and we hope to see you there!

YG Family

~~~

I filled the form in and held off on the signarture part. I needed Sae to tell me her dad's decision. I wondered if I should go even if she couldn't make it. I put the form into my drawer and I went to bed, hoping that her answer would be a yes.

Becoming a singer and dancer  was a dream that seemed too good to be true, but if it was be something I really loved, it seemed like a good idea to give it a shot.