Chapter 27

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

"Ten minutes left everyone!" Park Bom announced to us. We memorized the very few lines and practiced them over and over again. We worked out the dance and added a few of 2PM's dance moves to make our version of the music video more familiar and appealing. Now all we had to do was dress ourselves in matching outfits.

Since SeungTae, HyunKi, and YoungJae were the main dancers, they all wore the same colors. The six of us were going with the colors black, gray, and white. SeungTae, HyunKi, and YoungJae already had black jeans on so that was efficient. They all changed into black tops. SeungTae had a black t-shirt that fit him perfectly. HyunKi had a black sweater with the sleeves rolled up and YoungJae had a black v-neck. Jihoon had black jeans and he wore a white t-shirt with a black leather jacket. Hana wore a white sleeves tunic with black leggings and boots. I wore gray, representing the past. I had black shorts, leather boots, a gray tanktop and a gray sweater. We went through our whole routine 5 times and we were pretty confident.

I would walk out first and Jihoon would be running after me. I would act like I never did anything and have my head raised high. I would then walk out on him. Hana would then come in on the scene and comfort him. They will progress throughout the music video. While the song plays, I'll be in the back with the three other guys doing the dance. Hana would be on the side and Jihoon would be in the front and center. We would all take turns singing. Jihoon would be Junsu, Hana would be Junho, SeungTae would be Taecyeon, YoungJae would be Nichkhun, HyunKi would be WooYoung and I would be Chansung. In the end, the three guys will face the back and the scene would continue. I would come back and grab Jihoon by the arm. Hana is with him and they both leave me hand in hand. The lights would dim with me on the ground crying.

"Everyone! Please take your seats!" Park Bom announced as we all exited the backstage door.

"I think we got this," SeungTae whispered.

"I know we got this," HyunKi smiled as he gave us knuckle touches. I caught Sae's look at me of sympathy since I was in the same group as Hana. I gave her a shrug and I turned to take my seat. We were the sixth group to go on stage. Hana seemed nervous since she was rubbing her hands together.

"Are you okay?" I asked her. She gave me a nod and looked away.

"Everyone. I hope you have prepared your performance. Our judges will give you feedback once all twelves groups have delivered their music video. Please keep the noise level down until it is your turn to perform," Park Bom said. We nodded and the first group went on stage.

"Please welcome Group 3's performance with the song, Hello!" Park Bom cheered. We clapped for them but our hands were a little tense because our nerves were creeping up on us.

Group three took their places and since they had a 3:3 girl/boy ratio, the story line was very even. There were a group of friends and near valentine's day and white day, they found out that the one person they crushed on, liked them too. The story revolved around the three couples. The song started out with the girls dressed in pink and the guys in white. There story was really cute and I thought they did a pretty good job.

"Thank you group 3! Please welcome Group 9's Masquerade!"

They were all dressed in ball gowns and tuxuedos. The guys had really cool masks and the girls had really pretty and sparkly masks. The story line revolved around a knight in shining armor concept. He did not want an arranged marriage and wanted to find the only girl he wanted at his wedding. In the end, he revealed the face under the mask they lived happily ever after. I also thought this was a pretty cool concept.

As the performances progressed, it was our turn next.

"Please welcome Group 12's Without You!" Park Bom announced.

"We can to this! Aja Aja Hwaiting!" we cheered. The lights dimmed and there were two spotlights. One for me and one for Jihoon.

"Heeyoung-ah, don't leave me," Jihoon begged on his knees.

"You think you're worthy of me? Please, I would never like someone like you. In your dreams," I scoffed. His mouth dropped open and he actually teared up. My eyes widened and I had to collect myself after his unexpected tears. Afterall, we were on a big screen.

"Don't ever talk to me again. ARACHI?!" I hissed as I walked out on him.

"HEEYOUNG!" he cried. I walked out on stage and the guys were already on stage. I slowly creeped up and took my spot in front of them.

"Jihoon oppa," Hana whispered. She stood him up and gave him a hug. He didn't refuse nor accept the comfort.

The lights went black and we took our stance. The piano intro stopped and SeungTae started his rap. We were lucky to have already been familiar with the lyrics, or else we would have been doomed. We did our dance and sang our parts. I was really nervous and scared, but at the same time, I was enjoying myself. It was my turn to sing my part.

Feelings Heeyoung, feelings. I told myself.

As I sang my part, two things were in my head. One of them was Danny. Although we never happened, I had my feelings deeply hurt. I had fallen heads over heals for him. It was almost an obsession, unhealthy for my mind. I thought he liked me, I should've known better. As I sang my part I saw a figure take a seat in the audience. This added a bitter feeling to me. It was YoungBae. My eyes watered at the two things at my head, unsure of which one that brought a more odd feeling inside. I was done with my lines and made my way to the back again. The song went on and went to the dramatic pause in the music video.

The three spotlights were on me, Jihoon, and Hana now.

"Jihoon," I cried, my voice loud enough to hear.

"Leave him alone. You don't know what you did to him," Hana barked as she stood face to face with me. Somehow, I imagined her as that new girl.

"Hana..." Jihoon started as he stood out. I walked forward and raised my hands to slap Hana.

She wore that same smirk as I'd seen before. My blood boiled and my hand itched. As I was close to hitting her face, Jihoon grabbed my arm and yanked it away.

"Watch what you're doing," he growled. I was frightened at what had taken over. Were these my real feelings or a part of the acting. I felt something hot on my cheeks. I felt it slowly. They were tears.

"I have nothing to say to you. Just leave. I never want to see your face again," he said before walking off. Hana shot me a smirk and held his hands. My body collapsed onto the floor and I stayed that way while the the three boys were doing the dance and singing. Jihoon and Hana joined them and I called for Jihoon's friend, but he just shot me a half sympathizing look and walked off. The music came to and end and we all joined in the middle and bowed. We got the first standing ovation from both sides of the theater.

I looked at the judges. Gdragon was looking at me while talking to Teddy. I look at YoungBae, he was eyeing me. I looked away quickly and folllowed the others off the stage. Hana and I were the last to walk off.

"Thanks for acting like you meant it! Now, you and I will have a better chance of making it huh?" Hana smiled. Something about that smile. It seemed bitter and fake but I wasn't so sure myself. I gave her a nod and she turned around and took her seat.

We sat through the other six performances in silence. It was a bit akward but I kept my famous cold expressionless mask on that my family knew so well.

We finished watching all of the performances and the judges gave us our scores. We came in 3rd rank overall. The final part of the audition was waiting for us.

We took our seats once again after standing on stage and recieving our scores and comments. Youngbae was still sitting in the seats, but this time, he was joined by Seungri and TOP.

"And now for our final part of the audition. When I call your names, you must take a seat on the chairs, on the stage. We will be going in alphabetical order according to last names. Starting with B's to L's. The rest of you must go backstage," Park Bom told us, sternly.

I sat next to the rest of the C's and they look quite terrified. Not to mention, my hands were clammy and sweaty.

"We will give you a genre. Everything must be original. The beat will be kept by you, the tune and pitch will be set by you, and lastly, it should leave an impression on us,"

I was thoroughly confused and I had a bad feeling about this.

"In simple words, you will have the opportunity to create a song on the spot. You will have one minute to sing. Any questions?" she smiled, wickedly.

I couldn't believe my ears. This was hardcore and I had no idea if I could handle it or not.

So and so was called up first. The room was silent and the only sounds that could be heard were sounds of one's shoes and a couple of uncomfortable candidates squirming in their seats.

"Rap is your genre. You may proceed," Teddy told him. All of the judges had pokerfaces. The candidate gulped and rubbed his hands together. Because he did not have a microphone to hold, his stance was a bit akward. The mic actually did make me feel more confident. Without one, I would feel very bare, just like how he was at the moment.

He opened his mouth and no sound came out. He closed his eyes and wiped his palms on the sides of his jeans. The next thing I knew, his rap came out quite interestingly. The words were a little too detailed so it caused him to go on and on. I could tell he was out of breath and rapping was not his thing. He seemed more on the ballad side.

"Kamsahamnida," a producer said, a little monotone.

After three people or so, it was my turn.

"Choi Heeyoung. Your genre is ballad," Gdragon told me. I nodded and took a deep breath.

What do I sing what do I sing?!?!?!!!?! Oh my god Lily Choi. Don't make a fool of yourself. Well it's not like it has to be perfect but perfect is what you strive for right?! Geez. I can't fret now!

I closed my eyes and heard noises from the judges. Yang President was eyeing me and he seemed not so pleasant. Suddenly, I saw him from the corner of my eyes.

I looked at Youngbae and he stared back at me. Something that hid in his eyes. I could not put my finger on it.

"Miss Choi, you have 30 seconds left," Gdragon told me.

"Neh," I nodded. I looked at the mass of the audience. They were exchanging whispers or they seemed to be anticipating some humuliation.

Suddenly, it came to me.

Immature. Naive. Ridiculous. Him.

I nodded and the judges took their attention away from what they seemed to be scribbling. I cleared my throat and sang.

You were perfect, you were you.

I gave myself a new name,

I was obsessed with you.

Those hints never confirmed.

What was I expecting, didn't think it through.

I ended these few lines and opened my eyes. The first person I saw was Youngbae. He was clapping for me. Soon enough, everyone followed. I bowed and tried to clear the squashy feeling in my heart. He will never be a person I will ever miss.

The clapping ended a little after and it was time for the comments from the judges. Yang President was speaking for the first time.

"Miss Choi Heeyoung? Is that correct?" he asked while looking at his paper.

"Neh," I answered.

"I'll be honest with you. The song? Not what I was looking forward to. The lyrics have room to improve and the meaning has yet to change from obvious words to words with depth. Despite this segment of yours, there is something I like and I have not seen this quite a lot. Miss Choi Heeyoung. I see potential in you. You are able to be nurtured and guided. You have what I call, the true qualities of succeeding in this entertainment world however, as you can see, it is a very unstable world. According to what I have experienced and seen, you might be a keeper," and with that last sentence, the room grew extremely quiet again. I felt all eyes on me.

"Kamsahamnida, Mr. President," I bowed. He nodded and I was motioned to take my seat.

As I sat through the rest of the audition I could not bring myself to realization. Did I hear correctly? Did I have the potential and qualities like he stated? That would be another thing to discover.

As all of the backstage people did a different audition making their own dance cuts, the audition closed to an end. It was time to find out who would be in or who would be out.

Yang President would address us with a few words first.

"Thank you all for participating in this audition/talent search. Thank you for your patience, dedication, and hardwork. We truly appreciate it. As you can see, we have 72 candidates today. However, not each and every one of you will be able to walk out of this theatre successful after your overall performance you have brought for us. I will now announce how many people will be able to accept or decline their choice in staying with YG Entertainment. We have 40 candidates who have succeeded. For the minority of 32 candiates, I hope you take this experience as a positive force. Please do not give up, overall, you have made it this far. The greatest achievement is doing what you could never have done before. Good luck to all of you and thank you. Now, for the 40 candidates. Gdragon will call your names. If your names are called, please quietly exit to the right," Yang President announced, quite calmly.

All of us stood in two rows crossing our fingers and praying inside our heads. Gdragon cleared his throat. I bit my tongue and grabbed on the sides of my jeans. Whether or not I have made the final cut, this will definately be part of something new; discovering me.