Chapter 1

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

 "Whoa! Did you see that?" Danny whispered to Justin.

 "Haha yeaaauuuuhh," he answered.

  In walked the new girl. She wore a bright smile. She was very polite and friendly. The moment she walked in I immediately thought, "Oh no. What if he likes her instead of me. Wait...it wouldn't matter anymore". Thank goodness she sat far from him. Yes I was jealous and yes I was scared that he would fall in love with her because I liked him. I was going to leave at midnight and start a new chapter of my life. I, Lily Choi was going to Korea.

  My family ran my grandfather's business that was established before my dad was even born. Like many other people in the industry, it was normal to pass a family business on. My dad owned the hotels and  the chain of restaurants. My father was going to check on the hotels in Korea because he felt that we needed to keep everything under control instead of letting someone else look after the employees.

  My family consisted of my mom, dad, oldest brother Jae, sister Ella, and my older brother Nick. I was the youngest of the four.

  My oldest brother Jae is 24 years old and in charge of the hotels in the states. I have to say, he is doing a pretty good job. He is very hardworking and spends most of his time in his office, but he always has time for me. I feel special because sometimes he would pick me up from school and take me to all sorts of places to eat and shop.

  My older sis Ella is 22 years old and she is graduating from pharmacy school in a year. Like Jae oppa, she has very good study skills. I'd say they both have higher EQ's than IQ's, but I think it's a very good thing to be street smart rather than book smart. Ella is like my twin. We always get along well and I can always depend of her. I love my unnie very much.

  Lastly, my older brother Nick who is 20, goes to college like my sister. He is going to take over the restaurants after he works with my dad for a couple of years. Unlike Jae oppa and unnie, he is very talented when it comes to dancing, singing, and playing the violin and piano. I really think he's popular among the girls at school since I have to act like I'm his girlfriend. I know that you must think this is gross. But really, those girls should really back off. It's funny how they stalk my brother o.O It's not weird.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  "Lily. Lily. LIIIIILLLLLLLYYYYY," my table partner whispered as she shook my arm.

  "Huh? what?" I said as I snapped back to focusing on the lesson.

  I wonder how long I've been distracted.

BRRRRRRNNNNNNNGGGG! the bell rang.

  It's time to go I thought. As the last person left the room, my teacher called me over to her desk.

  "Lily have a seat," she motioned for me to sit.

  "I've transferred your transcripts to your new school in Korea. They will know what to expect in terms of your level, and I think you're doing excellent. I hope you have a safe flight to Korea tonight. I do hope you have a good experience and don't forget to eat and sleep well. Well that's about it. I wish you the best of luck!" my teacher said as she got a little teary-eyed. I hugged her goodbye and thanked her for all the things she has taught me. When I said my goodbyes to my friends, they wouldn't let go of me until their tears soaked my shirt.

  "Guys, it's not like you aren't going to see me again. I'm coming back in the summer and winter."

  "You're right, but we will have to webcam every day," they said together.

  "Promise?" they asked.

  "I promise," I said as I started to choke up. So much for being strong.

   I waved out my car as my driver drove me back home.

  "I'm home!" I shouted as I took off my shoes.

  "Welcome home miss Lily," Sam, our butler said with a bow.

  I smiled at him then made my way towards the kitchen. BAAAMMM! cider was fizzing out of the bottles. It was a party for me and my dad.

  "Awwwwww, our dongsaeng is finally growing up. How will I survive without my girlfriend?" my brother Nick sighed as he patted my head.

  Our whole family enjoyed a good dinner prepared by Billy, our private chef, along with the help of my mom. At ten thirty, we decided to leave for the airport. My mom cried as she squeezed the air out of me.

  "Mom. Mom. Mom. UMMMMAAA!" I squeaked as she finally let go of my neck.

  "My baby is leaving me. What should I do?" she said as she tucked my hair around my ear. She gave me a box and told me not to open it until I got on the plane. I wondered what it could've been. Ella and Nick talked to me one on one before we left. Ella told me to be careful and study hard and that she would always be proud of me. Nick said that if any boy dared to touch me or talk to me, I would have to report to him every single night. I didn't think that was necessary but he made me pinky swear. Sam said a few touching words to me while he wiped tears from the rim of his eyes. I don't understand why they were worked up when I wasn't even close to tears. Lastly, Jae said very wise words that made me cry. He hugged me tightly for a long until he finally let me go.

  At last, we made our way to LAX. We rode in our limo and my dad was busy talking to the driver. I looked out the window and soaked up everything everyone said to me. I felt a little heartache as I thought about Danny. He would never know I liked him so much and that he had caused me so much pain. No matter what, I had to move on. I closed my eyes and listened to Love Song by Big Bang and it expressed my feelings in a way words couldn't.

 "Flight 103, first class passengers may start boarding now," the flight attendent announced. Dad and I entered the gates. We placed our carry-on baggage into its designated area. We sat down into the comfy seats and listened to the flight attendent speak. After 20 minutes, the engine of the airplane roared and we made our way forward. The plane accelerated and the wheels were no longer in touch with the ground. We were officially making our way to Korea now. I opened the box mom had given me. Learn Korean-made for American born Koreans. I laughed to myself. I flipped through a couple pages before listening to the ipod that came along with it. I closed my eyes and drifted into deep thoughts.  

 

"Goodbye Lily. Hello Choi Hee Young."