Chapter 34

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

"Choi Heeyoung please come with me," a staff member called out. The room was silenced. The teacher nodded towards me and I grabbed my stuff, making my way out of the room. I followed the man into the elevator. 

"May I ask where we're going?" I asked quietly.

"Mr. Yang wants to see you," he explained. If I was wise then I would not speak anymore. He was a very quiet and serious man. At last, we reached the very tippy top of the YG building and I saw many offices where everyone was on the phone, either negotiating or denying scandals. It was an interesting sight to absorb. 

"Miss Choi this way please," he said, pointing to the last door at the end of the long hall. I bowed and headed to the room. I felt uneasy. Why would he need to see me? Was it because of last night? I dreaded my walk over more and more. 

After what seemed like ten years I reached his door. I knocked softly and waited for a response. Instead I heard apologizing.

"I'm sorry. It will not happen again," a man apologized.

"We'll see about your performance. Never let the same thing happen again. Then, even I won't be able to save your neck," an older sounding man stressed.

I gulped. It to be that guy. Right when I was fixing my jacket the door opened and an embarassed yet angry man fled passed me, not bothering to close the door after him.

"Ah yes, Miss Choi Heeyoung?" Mr. Yang asked, raising a brow.

"Neh," I bowed. 

"Have a seat," he said. I nodded and followed him over to the leather couches. I was sitting on the other side of the glass coffee table. There were ceiling to floor windows and everything was very modern and business-like. I would be lying if I said it wasn't intimidating. 

"Would you like anything to drink?" he asked.

"No thank you," I replied softly. He nodded and poured himself a cup of coffee.

"Well then, the reason I have called you here is because I have heard from my staff about your whereabouts after hours," he said while sitting down comfortably. 

I nodded and he proceeded.

"If I'm not mistaken, our Taeyang and Lee Saegyeong along with two other idols have searched for you?" he verified, looking me directly in the eyes. 

"Neh," I responded.

"Can you explain why you were in the building while other trainees were directed to head back in groups?" he asked. I was really scared and more importantly, would he believe me if I told him I was shoved into a closet.

I nodded and cleared my throat.

"My friend Saegyeong was called by a staff member and so I decided to walk back to the dorms with my two other friends. While we were heading to the elevators, Yunmi called me out," I started.

"Lee Yumni? Ah yes, the trainee who won the battle," he nodded, listening intently. He just had to point out that I didn't win did he. I proceeded.

"Well she called me out saying that I deserved to win and we were speaking on good-terms. Suddenly..." I broke off. 

He seemed to be enjoying this. I felt a bit annoyed by his expression.

"Go on," he motioned.

"These two girls came behind me and pushed me all the way to the end of the hall. When I asked them where we were going they just ignored me and shoved me into a closet. Before they closed the door they said they hoped to never see me in this building again," I explained, my voice getting softer by the minute by Mr. Yangs intense stare.

"Are you certain?" was all he asked.

"Yes I am," I said firmly. 

"Very well then. Then please explain while you were unconcious or asleep for that matter," he said, sitting back in his chair.

"I pounded and hoped for someone to hear me but no one did. I stopped pounding because my hand hurt," I quieted down, embarassed by how stupid my story sounded.

He looked at my hand and at my unwrapped one.

"Why didn't you try the other?" he asked. I wasn't sure if he was mad or amused.

When I didn't answer he seemed a little flustered but he held it in.

"In our company, both idols and trainees must never give up even if they are tired or discouraged. Are you aware that Big Bang had a recording yesterday?" he asked a little too loud.

"Aniyo," I shook my head.

"If you were to pound a little harder with your unwounded hand my staff would've heard from all the errands I sent them on. Instead, you were tired and decided to quit so my staff and Taeyang along with your friend looked endlessly for hours to find you asleep on the floor. Are you one bit embarassed? One more thing you should know is that  without Taeyang, s and the recording staff had to wait for him in order to finish the recording? You sent everyone about the building. Why did my staff member say you didn't pick up your phone?" he asked, a little angry.

"The battery was out. It wasn't in my phone," I explained. I was scared, hurt, and embarassed.

"Let me see your phone," he asked, sticking his hand out. I gulped. I handed him my phone dreadfully.

"What is this?" he asked, letting the battery fall with a 'plonk' onto the glass coffee table.

"I found it after I came out from the nurse's office," I explained. How would he believe me?

"You found it?" he asked, "amazing how we find things don't we?" I didn't know how to respond to this.

"How do you plan for making up for all the time Big Bang lost as well as my staff members. Key and Minho from SM?" he asked, waiting for another stupid thing coming out of my mouth. I didn't know but if I told him that, he would fume. 

"I.....will apologize to everyone," I said.

"Apologizing is too easy. Time is already lost isn't it," he stressed. I really wanted to cry. My eyes were watering and my mouth was dry.

"We do not cry here at YG. I wish to not see you for any matter related to this again. Close the door on your way out," he said before getting up and going to his desk. He looked through papers.

"Kamsahamnida," I bowed before leaving. I closed the door on the way out. All of the cubicles were silent and everyone was looking at me. I bowed to all of them and made my way quickly out of the hall. I looked at my watch on the elevator. It was 4:30 PM. I had been in there for almost over a hour. I swallowed hard and looked up at the ceiling. 

Training ended ten minutes ago and we were to be out of the building before 5:10 PM. I knew what I had to do. 

"Excuse me. Is any member of Big Bang here right now?" I asked a lady who looked like she worked at the front desk.

"May I ask if you have informed them you wanted to meet them?" she questioned dully. I shook my head no.

"Well they are even more busier than ever and distractions should be by all means uneeded," she stressed.

"May I ask when their session ends?" I asked politely even though her eyes were showing signs of suspicion. 

"4:45," she said. 

"Kamsahamnida," I bowed toward her. Before she left I called her back.

"What is it?" she asked, very annoyed.

"May I ask which room they are in?" I asked.

"Sixth floor. If you are finished, I have a lot of work to do," she said. I bowed at her gratefully and walked back to the elevators quickly. 

"Sixth floor," I said to myself while pressing the button. At last, I arrived at the floor full of studios and made my way out of the eleators. Peeking through small glazed glass windows, I made out five figures and I heard familiar singing voices. Bingo. 

I stood next to the door and waited another ten minutes before the music ended.

"Break," a Gdragon sounding said. It sounded tired. I definitely caused a lot of trouble. 

"Finally halfway," Daesung said, not sounding too hyper.

"I can't believe how dry my throat is," Seungri whined.

"Did TOP hyung fall alseep?" Taeyang asked. 

I heard faint voices and I swallowed hard. It was because of me that they were exhausted. I had to apologize. I just had to. 

Making up my mind, I knocked on the door.

"Mwoh?" Daesung asked.

"Aish, who is it this time," Seungri said softly to himself. As soft as it was, I could hear it.

"Shut up. Come on in," Gdragon ordered to them and called out to me. I pried the door open and immediately all eyes were on me.

"Heeyoung?"

"What's she doing here?"

"I'M REALLY SORRY FOR ALL OF THE TROUBLE I CAUSED YOU GUYS. BECAUSE OF ME I DELAYED YOUR RECORDING SESSION AND BECAUSE OF ME I CAUSED ALL OF THE STAFF MEMBERS AND RECORDING STAFF TO WORK TWICE AS HARD. I AM REALLY SORRY. MIANHAMNIDA," I said in one breath. I was bowing the entire time. 

"Was that trainee you?"

"Neh,"

"You were stuck there?"

"Yeh,"

"Youngbae-ah, you didn't tell us it was her!"

"Now I see why,"

I bowed endlessly.

"Just stop before your neck breaks off,"

This time, I looked up to meet Gdragon's eyes. They were fierce but softened after we met eyes. 

"Come on, I need to talk to you," he said before pulling my wrist and pushing the door open. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

We were on a balcony and he had bought me hot chocolate while he had coffee. The hot chocolate made me feel bit better.

He stared ahead while I was feeling uncomfortable.

"Why did you come to apologize? Did Mr. Yang tell you to?" he questioned, not looking at me. I searched for the right words.

"He said that apologizing was too easy for me but I felt the need to," I said slowly. 

"Crying won't be tolerated in YG," Grdagon said suddenly.

"How did you know that?" I asked, really suprised by his sudden statement.

"Because the same thing happened to me when I was a trainee here," he chuckled. I could sense some pain in his voice.

"I'm really sorry for all of the trouble I caused you guys. I feel really bad," I apologized.

"How many times are you going to say sorry? You've said it enough," he said, raising an eyebrow. I just looked down and held onto my hot chocolate tighter. 

"Did YG believe you?" he asked suddenly. It was a while after the silence brought by his question. 

"I..don't know. He seemed amused," I said a little bitterly. 

"Even though I don't know what happened, don't think that Mr. Yang is a bad person and that he's taking you as a joke because he's not. It's just the way he rolls," he said. I didn't know if I was supposed to look for a meaning behind his words. I felt a little mad as to why YG just looked at me funnily. 

"You should get going now. I hear the curfew this year is really early," he stated. I nodded.

He walked me to the lobby and I bowed at him.

"Thank you for this and your words," I thanked him.

"Be careful on the way back," he said. I nodded and headed out of the doors of YG.

 

I was glad to breath in fresh air after feeling cooped up all day.