Chapter 14

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

Ms. Yang is going to be here in a hour and I'm forcing myself to wake up. All I did yesterday was clean and play with Max. I wasn't all that productive and I was pretty bored since my dad went out for a meeting.

"Schooooool toodaaayy," I yawned as I stretched out my arms. I didn't think it would be that bad since it was at my own house.

I washed up and brushed my teeth. I put on skinny jeans and changed into a wife beater and I wore a purple hoodie over it. I tied my hair into a ponytail and went downstairs.

"Hey Max!" I smiled as he came running to me. He chased his tail and he ran up the stairs.

I had toast and a banana for breakfast. I cleaned up and brought all of my learning materials to the dining room table. Since my info was at a school I was supposed to attend, my dad withdrew me from the private school and held onto the papers.

With fifteen minutes to spare, I stretched and daydreamed about my ultimate dream. I wanted to be a musician or someone who worked in the music entertainment industry. I was really inspired by people from Asia, mostly Korea and Taiwan.

I sat on the chair rocking myself back and forth. The house was really quiet and peaceful. I wanted to do something exciting in my time in Korea, but I would have to figure what I was going to do that would change my life forever.

DingDong~

I jumped up and fixed my shirt and went to open the door.

"Annyeong Hee Young," Ms. Yang smiled.

I greeted her and I stepped aside for her to enter. She unpacked some things like her laptop and she opened up a little luggage full of teaching materials.

Oh boy. Learning Korean all the way up to high school level is going to be FUN. I'm gonna have to improve my writing skills. I thought.

Ms. Yang gave me a stack of books and workbooks and two CDs for me to listen to. I also recieved DVDs to watch.

"Okay. In order for you to excel quickly all the way to high school level in such a short amount of time, you are going to commit to learning even when I'm not here okay?" she asked.

"Okay," I replied.

"Good. Now what you have to do when I leave after our daily lesson is to read for at least an hour and watch OR listen to the CDs and DVDs for at least 30 minutes. Can you do that?" she asked again.

"Yes, but what about writing?" I asked.

"You will mainly focus on writing and speaking when I am here," Ms. Yang answered.

I had no more questions and I let her proceed.

"Today, we are going to take a quiz to test your level. I will ask you something and I expect you to answer in a complete question."

She took out her notepad and pen and started to ask me questions.

"What are your interests?" 

"Where were you born?"

"Can you tell me about yourself?"

On and on she went. I had little trouble responding so it was okay for me. She seemed pleased by the expression on her face.

"Hee Young, I can tell that you are pretty fluent. On the speaking part, all we need to fix is pitch and grammar. Everything else should be fine." she smiled.

"Since today is our first day, I'd like to get to know you better," she smiled.

I nodded and she asked me some questions. I told her about my siblings and she nodded and laughed at my expressions. I told her about the orchestra and band I played in at school. I mainly told her about my interests. I was glad that she paid 100% attention to me.

Her last question really got me excited.

"Hee Young," she started, "What is your dream job? It doesn't matter if it's silly or not."

"Well, if it's not considered silly, I'd really like to become a singer or musician," I replied.

Her expression seemed suprised but then she smiled.

"Did you tell your dad about this before?"

"Well not exactly tell but I think he figured it out. He doesn't seem like he objects. At least I don't think so."

"How much do you love singing or anything music related?" she asked pretty closely.

I thought it was kind of weird how an adult would really seem like they were interested. I wouldn't want to know this much if I were her.

"I've played instruments and danced since I was young, but then I mainly focused on music so I don't dance anymore. I'm involved at music at my old school, but I have never sang in front of anyone before, not even my parents or sisters," I explained.

"Hmm, well if you don't, how will they ever know? To be honest, I had this dream once and I regret not taking the path. If I had a chance again, I would maybe considered changing jobs, but it's too late. Although a very good friend of mine is in the industry," she smiled.

"Really? Well I get shy around people and revealing my feelings from the heart can make me feel uncomfortable," I said in a low voice.

"If you don't mind, I can sing you something. Please feel free to join in with me if you want to. Let's see if you can recognize this song," she said.

Before I could say anything or even react to what she said she started to sing. I was suprised that she sang Haru Haru. She wasn't bragging about her dream. She was REALLY good. I was really shocked because her voice was really pure the way her faced showcased her feelings toward the lyrics. I couldn't just let her sing so I ran to my piano.

I pulled out the seat and I started to play to Haru Haru. I sang along and I wasn't paying much attention to her anymore. I wanted her to see my ultimate dream. Maybe she could rate me.

As I pressed on the last broken chord and sang the last word, I released the damper pedal and rested my hands on my lap. I turned to look at my teacher and she seemed touched. Were those tears in her eyes? But she is smiling too. How weird.

"Hee Young! That was great!" she clapped.

I smiled and bowed. Was I really that great?

"You really do have the talent Hee Young. Take my word for it. Have you ever heard about idol searches?"

I nodded and she went on.

"I think you should give it a shot no matter what the results will be. It's a great experience. I know this because I have tried out before," she said.

I was really suprised. No wonder she had the voice that seemed better than some celebrities.

Her phone rang and she picked it up. She looked at me and replied to whoever was calling her.

She snapped her phone shut and she looked a little apologetic.

"Is something wrong?" I asked/

"Well, I got a call from my boss and something is going wrong in the grading system at the university. I'm afraid I'll have to end early today," she answered.

I nodded and told her it was okay. She apologized and then she told me to start looking through the books for tomorrow's lesson. She quickly packed up her stuff and then she rushed to her car.

 

Ms. Yang POV

I set everything in the car and I put on my seatbelt. Hee Young reminded me of myself back then.

They let oppa enter but they stopped me from choosing my own path. I'm going to have to convince him of this.

Oppa, I think we've have the one you are searching for. Trust me on this one.