Chapter 47

Life, Love, and the Teenage Years as a Trainee

"So...our kiss..." Youngbae trailed off as he was walking me back to my dorm. We had already gone back to the building and Youngbae got his hands treated. We watched the firemen save our building. The fire wasn't very bad so remodeling would do the trick in a short amount of time. The only bad part was that training would have to be stopped for the time being, and that meant all trainees. For some, they were jumping for joy, and for myself, I couldn't be more nervous for my project. I needed the extra help and how was I supposed to get the help I needed in this condition? It all started by an earthquake. 

He nudged me.

"Oh, sorry, what did you say again?" I asked him.

"Nevermind," he said absent-mindedly. 

"How do you feel toward me?" I asked, gathering up all of my confidence to ask him. 

He didn't answer me. I felt a little disappointed.

"You kissed me," I said after a long while.

"I'm sorry. I just-I'm not sure what got into my mind. I'm really sorry," he apologized, turning to face me.

"Why are you apologizing? I didn't say it was wrong or anything. I just think it's really weird considering you don't like me and we aren't in that kind of relationship," I told him, calmly even though I wasn't like that on the inside. On the inside, I secretly enjoyed the kiss and I also wanted to rip out his guts for stealing my first kiss. 

He turned around and we started walking in a different direction. I guess we weren't going to go back to the dorms.

"It's not like I don't like you," he said. I nodded while contemplating this.

After a moment he broke the silence.

"How do you feel about me?" he asked. 

"How do I feel about you?" I asked. He nodded while stuffing his hands into his pockets. 

"It's a long story. I think I'll have to start from the very first time I met you," I said softly.

"It's okay. I'm all ears," he told me. I nodded and started.

"When I first met you I had mixed feelings about you. I didn't know if you liked me or not or if I misinterpreted your acts of kindness for something else. Then I told myself you probably didn't like me because no one ever did," I started. He turned to look at me. Before he could say anything, I continued. 

"Because of my past, I always told myself I would never like anyone because it would only lead to heartbreak. I didn't want anymore of that so I started having negative feelings about you. Funny, I know," I laughed, at how ridiculous I sounded. He seemed to be listening closely.

"I was scared that I would start liking you, therefore I was always bitter and a bit rude when talking to you. I knew it wasn't going to work when I kept running into you and whenever I saw you with other girls," I said.

"Other girls?" he asked. He seemed confused.

"When I saw you kissing that girl or that girl kissing you at the cafe. The sight of you and a girl by yourselves. The times when you teased and played around with Dara unni. I knew it was wrong to hate you for those things, but I couldn't bring myself to tell myself that it was pointless and absurb to be mad over those things. So there you have it. A really bad conclusion but now you know how I felt about you," I ended.

"If this is how you felt, then how did you feel while training for the past couple of months?" he asked. That made me think. All along, I had been telling him how I felt about him. It wasn't much of a long story, just bits and pieces of my feelings toward his actions.

"I was neutral. I accepted that I couldn't bring myself to avoid you because you were always there, saving me from tripping and rescuing me. How could I not think about those things endlessly? Though I never really thought about you much because I was so busy training," I said. 

We sat down on a bench in the park. A lot of the streetlights didn't work so I couldn't see him or anything properly. I wonder how he was reacting to this.

"How did you feel after I kissed you?" he asked. This was a sensitive topic to me, considering how I wasn't sure how to make of it. 

"Honest opinion?" I asked.

"Of course," he replied.

"My mind went blank. I was so caught-off guard that I didn't know what to say or feel. I think you got the wrong idea when I felt my lips. I was just shocked, not asking for another kiss," I said quietly, embarassed but more shy.

"I know."

"You knew?"

"Like I said. I didn't know what got into my mind. I just had the sudden urge to do that." 

"There's one thing," I paused.

"What is it?" he asked.

"You stole my first kiss," I confessed. 

"First kiss? Really? I can't picture the fact that you-first kiss?" he asked, chuckling at me. 

"Hey. Why are you laughing? It's serious. It's not like I go around kissing guys like I drink water. I don't do that kind of thing," I snapped, getting started.

"Whoa, calm down. I didn't say you were like that. It's just that from what I know, people these days do a lot of things they aren't really supposed to do at a young age," he said. This started to sound a little weird. 

"My lips," I sighed as I touched them.

"I'm sorry but I don't think I can give you a refund," he laughed. I cried out loud. 

"You make it seem like the end of the world Heeyoung," he teased. 

I had no answer to this.

"Hey."

"What," I answered.

"You know someone likes you. He's a sunbae too," he said, bitterly.

"Really? Who?" I asked, suprised and happy to know. 

"Yah. Don't get all happy," he warned.

"Arasso. Now tell me," I pleaded.

"Your mentor during this past couple of weeks,"

"Who? I'm confused."

"Really? Are you really that oblivious?"

"Come on. Just tell me already."

"Jiyong."

I gasped. 

"Seriously? Who told you this?"

"He did."

"Wait. What?" 

"He warned me that I should stay away from you because he likes you."

"Oh my goodness but I don't feel that way about hi-him." I replied. 

"Good."

"What?"

"I'm not going to do as he says."

"Why?"

"What do you mean why?" 

"Well he did say he liked me and warned you."

"You're mine."

"Mwoh?!"

"You're mine Choi Heeyoung. From now on, you are mine." 

"Then what about you?"

"What about me?"

"Who do you belong to?"

"You belong to me. I belong to you. Happy?" 

"Why are we belonging to each other?" I asked. He seemed to be wondering about this too. 

"It doesn't matter. You are mine arachi?" he asked. 

"And?"

"I belong to you too." he finished.

"Arasso oppa," I smiled. 

"Oh look at you. Calling me oppa now," he said. I knew he wanted to laugh. 

"I could always go with YAH!" I teased.

"Aish," he smiled while ruffling my hair. Then he looked serious.

"Mwoya?" I asked him, looking up.

"Nothing," he lied. Now I really wanted to know. After pleading him, he finally gave in. We started walking again while he spoke.

"This is the first time that I'm belonging to someone," he said calmly.

"Well it's not exactly an usual thing to do right?" I contemplated.

"True."

"Yep."

We started laughing light-heartedly.

"You are interesting," he said after a while. We were deep into the park by now.

"How so?" I asked, wanting to know.

"You're the first girl that I feel comfortable around. Not just any type of comfortable but the kind where I've known you for a long time. Maybe you don't see it or sense it but I always have an urge to protect you. I don't know why I do it but if I don't I don't I think can sleep properly. For the first time, I wasn't able to sleep properly because of a girl. You have that effect on me," he said, looking off into the distance. I blushed madly upon hearing this. 

"Are you listening?" he asked, turning to face me. I nodded and bit my lip because I was not used to this. A guy speaking to me like this. The first time in 15 years (in the USA).

He turned away and we continued walking again. 

"I'm going to miss you after you leave," he confessed.

"Really?" I asked, surprised.

Isn't it obvious that I feel something for you Heeyoung?

"Everyone will," he said. I nodded to myself. Maybe it wasn't just him. I wasn't that special to him. 

"Are you disappointed that I added an 'everyone will'?" he grinned while nudging me. I shook my head. Was I that obvious?

We continued walking for about an hour or so in silence. Not because we had nothing to say but because we were secretly appreciating each others'  company, or at least that was how it was in my heart. I knew in my heart that we would never result in anything special and that it would be ridiculous to even hope that we would happen. The kiss? It was a bit confusing but it happened. 


"I have pictures from the last hour or so Mr. Yang."

"So you're telling me that these two have been together for the whole afternoon and are still out alone?"

"That's what we suspect."

"It's about time Youngbae have someone in mind."

"But it's against the contract and it will definitely impact his performance."

"I am aware of that fact. I'm not saying that I approve of this, let alone Heeyoung is a trainee."

"Mr. Yang. The age difference is about 8 years. This is against the law since she is a minor to begin with."

"You have made a strong point."

"What should our next step be?"

"Keep an eye on the two but don't go around following them everywhere. I'm sure you have other things better to do."

"Yes Mr. Yang. I understand."

"Confiscate their phones as well."

"Neh?"

"Exactly as you heard it."

"Yes, I understand."

"You can go back to work now."

"Neh. Kamsahamnida."


Here I was again standing awkwardly in Mr. Yang's office that survived the earthquake and fire. It was the next day and I was called in early in the morning. 

He studied me as I refused to look anywhere but his penetrating eyes. 

"I believe that your phone has been confiscated," he started.

"Neh," I nodded.

"Do you want to know why?" he asked, raising a brow. 

"Neh?" I asked, wondering if I heard correctly.

"Do you want to know why, exactly why we are confiscating your phone?" he asked again.

"Yes," I nodded timidly.

"I will tell you in a bit while you think of a reason why. First, I have some news for you," he stated. I nodded.

"Since our company is in the condition it is in now, you will be going to L.A tomorrow."

"What?" my eyes became large circles. This was too sudden and there was somebody else in my mind. I just didn't want to admit I was going to miss him a lot. In other words, I was leaving my crush again. First leaving that idiot Danny behind and now leaving Youngbae. With no phone and no way to contact or see him, I was devestated. Hold on. Could Mr. Yang possibly...no way. There would be no way. 

"Please wait until I am finished speaking. Thank you."

I nodded slowly.

"You will complete your project there and you will be given instructions by your instructors while you are there. Another matter I need to speak with you is that you may not be aware that there is strictly no dating of any sort in YG as a trainee and sometimes even as an artist," he said, eyeing me.

My heart pounded. He knew. This man here knew. How did he find out? 

My face became hot. I felt like he was indicating something we both knew. 

"Miss Choi Heeyoung, Youngbae's phone has been confiscated as well," he smiled, almost wickedly. 

It was official. I was dead meat. He knew. He absolutely knew.

"I hate to say it but you are a distraction to him."

If he hated to say it then why did he?! Did he have any sort of idea that his words were always so piercing and hurtful effortlessly?

"Secondly. You are in YG to train, not to go about and hanging out with our fellow artists like it's nothing," he finished. 

I was angry immediately upon hearing this statement. Did he think I was some kind of or something? I kept a straight face on. My pride had taken over. 

"Do you understand what you need to do?" 

I didn't answer.

He shifted in his seat and rested his chin on his fists.

"Let me repeat this one more time. Do you understand that you and Youngbae will not be meeting or keeping in contact in any sort of way?" he asked, firmly and rather coldly. I knew I was going to be scolded if I ignored him. 

I practically had to force myself to answer him. 

"Yes," I whispered.

"Youngbae will get his phone back once you are back in L.A so you don't have to worry about his sake. You only need to focus on yourself. Do not disappoint me and the choice I made to pay extra attention to you."

I stood there without saying anything and only nodded moodily.

"Please pay attention to your attitude. You are excused."

I bowed and sped out of the room. I was so mad at myself for saying yes. 

Last night, Youngbae made me promise to keep in touch with him. He said part of belonging to him meant that he had to know what I was up to, filling him in on anything. We even sealed it with a pinky promise. I hated breaking promises and here I was, already breaking the promise within 24 hours. I . Mr. Yang . Scumbag policies. 

I felt so devastated as if I just found out I had some incurable disease. I felt empty and hopeless. I felt like I was being too dramatic but I was being honest. How long would I not see Youngbae or even hear his voice?

As I was walking in the hallway, I noticed Youngbae in a heated conversation with his manager as they were making way to Mr. Yang's office. I quickly hid behind a soda machine, avoiding him. 

"I can't believe you guys are doing this to me. How can you guys just take my phone away. At least tell me why and I won't really mind."

"You'll know why very soon."

"I need to know now."

It seemed like I was the only one who knew. I trudged out of the building and went back to my dorm. I needed to bid goodbye to my friends and pack all of my stuff in one day. 

I realized then that I should never take anything for granted. It all seemed too good to be true.