Bitter Coffee, Sweet Toffee

Goddess's Oneshot CHRISTMAS GIFT


Username : paperdolls
Featuring Male : Yunho
 Featuring Female : OC - Bak Yuri
 Plot : Yunho and Yuri were neighbours - although they hated each others' guts. They would bicker and prank each other to no end. Then at the end of primary school, Yunho left their country-side town for America. (Throughout the years Yuri has realised how empty her life has been without him). After graduating from university, Yuri meets someone unexpected at her cafe. They sit down to chat like old friends, only to confess to each other.
 Genre : Fluff . Romance .
Title : Bitter coffee , Sweet Toffee

(they order coffee and toffee , thus the title. hehe )

 

-----

 

Twelve year old Yuri walked back home and she opened her front door.

Just as the door pushed open, she felt an unusual weight on the door and glanced up. Too late.

The bucket of water came raining down on her and she was absolutely soaked to the bone. She stood there, stunned as the red bucket rolled on the floor merrily as if laughing at her predictament and she stared in awe at the pool of water at her feet.

She turned around immediately when she heard someone laugh and she squeezed her eyes closed. "JUNG YUNHO!!!!" she screamed.

This was just one of the common sights in Yuri's life.

If there was one thing Yuri could change in her life, it was definitely the presence of Jung Yunho. Yunho's family stayed in the house next to Yuri's and they had to see each other every single day. How annoying.

The first moment when Yuri had moved into that place, Yunho came barging into their new house and looking around as if he owned the past. That was six years ago and even at six years old, he had that "I am Jung Yunho" attitude of his that took absolutely no .

He barged into Yuri's rooms as she was packing her barbie dolls and his face fell at the sight of her. "Aww! You're a girl!" he had pointed at her as if it was an offense.

Yuri had blinked at him then in utter puzzlement. "Of course I am a girl, can't you tell?"

"I was hoping this family would have a boy when I heard they had a kid the same age as I am." Yunho rolled his eyes at her in utter distaste. "A girl! Eww!"

And that was how their rivalry started.

The two of them just hated each other more than anything, doing everything they could to irritate the others. They played pranks and tricks on each other as soon as the opportunity arose and didn't hesitate showing their hatred for each other.

Like now.

"JUNG YUNHO! I HATE YOUUUUU!!!!!"

-----

One day when Yuri was going home from school, she reached home finding that something seemed off.

Yunho didn't go to school that day and Yuri was extremely happy about it even though some of the girls were disappointed with it. She was happy at school the entire day because there wasn't Jung Yunho waiting in the corner to scare her. There wasn't Jung Yunho at the cafeteria trying to steal her popcorn chicken. No Jung Yunho laughing at her when she answered a question wrongly.

Man, it was heaven.

However she became a little hesitant when she saw a large truck in front of Yunho's house when she returned.

She blinked as she saw workers carrying large furnitures from the house. She panicked and ran into the house, calling for her mother. "Umma umma! Have you seen the truck?"

Her mother came to her. "Yeah. The Jungs are moving out of their house to somewhere in Seoul." she told Yuri. "We won't be able to see them anymore since we'll be so far from them. Don't you want to go say goodbye to Yunho?"

Yuri made a face. "Why would I do that?" she asked.

However she went out of the house again after changing out of her school uniform and peeked into the Jung's house again. She saw Mr and Mrs Jung and greeted them politely, looking in to see what was happening.

She saw Yunho walking out a few moments later with a box of his video games. He stopped in his tracks when he saw her and they stared at each other for a few awkward moments. Yunho tore his gaze away and handed the box to the workers.

He shoved his hands into his pockets and walked towards her. "Bak Yuri."

"Jung Yunho." Yuri nodded. Her gaze flickered to the truck again. "You're moving."

"Yep." Yunho shrugged. "No more annoying girl next door. No more pranks. Waah, my new life must be daebak without you."

"Mine too." Yuri harrumphed. "It's going to be like heaven without you!"

And then they stared at each other for a bit, a little reluctant to say goodbye. Yunho's parents packed the last things into the truck and called for him. "Yunho, say goodbye to Yuri and we're going!"

Yunho shuffled around the spot. "Uhm, so I'll be going."

"Yeah." Yuri lowered her gaze. "Bye."

"Bye." Yunho turned to go. As he sat on the truck on the way to his new house, he turned back to look at Yuri who was stnading at the same spot, watching them go.

That night, Yuri cried.

-----

Yuri smiled at the memory. That was ten years ago. Now here she was, already graduating from university and she was still thinking about her first love.

She hadn't known that she had a crush on Yunho until he left. She never realized how Yunho had filled her life until he was gone. In the morning, she tried to find ideas to irritate Yunho. At school, she had to be careful not to fall for any of the pranks Yunho had for her. At night, she tried to study while Yunho blasted music from his room that could be seen from hers and danced around madly to irritate her.

And now here she was, already twenty two and she still couldn't forget about him.

"Hey, can I sit here?" a male voice rang out.

Yuri blinked, looking around her. The cafe was decidedly empty at that point since it wasn't meal time and there were many empty seats. She frowned at the guy standing in front of her. "But there are-" she faltered, her eyes widening at the familiar face.

The face she had spent so many months missing but now more muscular and handsome. Yuri's jaw dropped. "Yunho?"

Yunho smiled easily and slipped into the chair opposite of hers. "It's really you, I thought I was dreaming." He couldn't stop looking at her, Yuri had grown so beautiful from the young cute carefree girl she had been in the past. "You're studying here too? I'm in the media faculty." He signalled the waiter for a coffee for himself like Yuri had.

"Science." Yuri nodded. "No wonder I never saw you before even though it's been three years here."

"Too bad we're already graduating or I would have liked pranking you everyday." Yunho joked. Yuri rolled her eyes at him."You were such a brat last time. I remember not being able to open my locker because you super glued it."

"You're not that good yourself. You always raised your hand to tell the teacher whenever I didn't do my homework or didn't bring my books." Yunho blew on his bangs. "I stayed in detention so many times because of that."

Yuri laughed at the memory. "Please, you deserved it for not being a good student."

"Meh, you were too much of a goody two shoes." Yunho grinned. They talked about their childhood for a while more, conversation flowing easily. The two of them laughed at the silly things they did in the past and how immature they were.

"You were such a brat then, don't you remember when you first barged into my room?" Yuri laughed heartily. "You're a girl? Eww!"

Yunho shrugged. "I was young alright? I didn't know how to react when I saw a cute girl at that time." he grinned. "You know, I had a crush on you for the longest time." He bit into a toffee and offered some to Yuri.

Yuri blinked in surprise. "You had? But you were so mean to me!" she popped the toffee into .

Yunho rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "I was young alright? I didn't know how to attract your attention other than being mean to you." he shrugged. "Mian, I should have used another method."

Yuri smiled softly. "To be honest it wasn't until you left for Seoul that I realized I did like you around." she murmured shyly. "I was upset for a few months after you left because my life suddenly seemed empty without you."

Yunho broke into a bright smile. "You did?" he chuckled. They smiled at each other for a few moments without talking.

Yuri broke their eye contact first when her phone buzzed with a message. "Oh no I have to go for a lecture." she got up. "It's really nice seeing you here, yunho."

Yunho nodded. "It really was." he stood up as well. "Can I have your number to...uhm you know, keep in contact?"

"Yeah sure." Yuri pinked and passed him her number. Just as she was about to go, Yunho stopped her again. "Uhm can I ask if you currently have a boyfriend?"

Yuri shook her head. "Nope." she bit her lip, smiling.

"So you won't mind if I call you to ask you out on a date?" Yunho grinned sheepishly.

The addicting mix of coffee and toffee wafted around Yuri as she smiled brilliantly. "No. I don't mind at all."