Chapter 59

You believe me now, don’t you?

Author's narrative 

 

Wherever they're going, Aom doesn't feel like she belongs with them. Actually, it's betteer to for her to stay at her home and hlep her mother with the shop. In the car, instead of talking to her, Tina chooses to interact with Mean, which is another big deal to her. She just doesn't know why she feels so left out, but she just does. She can try herself by joining the conversation but her tongue is just stuck behind her teeth, and no words can go escape from . 

Mean, on the other hand, hasn't recovered from the kissing scene which happpened a while ago. She still sees the image of Tina kissing's Aom cheeks inside of her head. She knows to herself that she should be fine with it but she just doesn't feel well. She feels unsecure, she feels lost. She doesn't know that feeling either but she just think it's better to ignore it. Whatever she tries to comfort herself, she doesn't want Tina to turn her sight away from her just yet. She knows that she needs Tina more than anything because she only gets well with her in the house. She doesn't know other people besides her. 

She remembers when she first arrived home after she got out of the hospitial, Tina suddenly grabbed her hand and took her back to her own room. That was when she knew that home wasn't a place, but a feeling. She could feel secure whenever Tina is home. She couldn't trust anyone but Tina. She feels complete whenever Tina is around. The reason that she chooses to stay away from other people in the house is not because she hates them, but she just doens't know how to interact with them. She just doens't know how to communicate well without making flaws. She knows that the whole family tries to make a conversation with her, but she just doesn't know how to keep the conversation flowing. With Tina, however, things just get natural. She talks more, laughs more, and even hangs out more whenver Tina is around. She can feel that she doesn't have to pretend to be someone else whom she doesn't want to be. Instead, she can be her once again. With the memories lost is no longer a problem to her anymore. What's the important point of trying to remember once she can feel her happiness is happening around her? She has a sister who can take care of her, and that's enough. She has a sister who loves her. Nothing else matters. 

Though she's never felt anything like that when she saw Tina kissing Aom earlier. She feels like Aom can take away her sister at anytime, and that she will be lonely again. The thoughts of being lonely frighten her more than anything she can ever experience. 

When they all arrive the mall, Tina needs to make sure that she walks in the middle of them both so that no one can feel being left out, which is absolutely awkward for Tina. The more the walk, the quieter they get. What is wrong with everyone today? No one speaks at all just as soon as they get out of the car. 

"I need to buy some new clothes. I don't see why I even chose the clothes I've had in the closet before. They don't look good to me." Mean blurps out just as they're reaching a female clothe shop. 

"But you said you loved all of your clothes before!" Tina giggles. 

"It's just the past me. But this is the present me. I need a change." Then Mean drags Tina in without even trying to look at Aom. 

Mean tries this, and that, and thid, and that until she gets into all the shops she wants, and it takes them hours to satisfy her. One thing that they actually forget. It's Aom. No one actually realizes that Aom is there with them. Even Tina. 

Aom, as always, try as hard as she can to hold herself away from feeling upset. She keeps telling herself that they're sisters. Mean only thinks of Tina as a sister now that that she doesn't remember a thing. It's not Mean's fault. 

It's Tina's fault. 

She acts as if Aom doesn't exist and Aom starts to feel like she really doesn't want to be here. But really, she tries to want to be here. She's trying. 

After Mean's got all her clothes she needs, Mean blurps out again that she's hungry, and so, everyone follows her to the food hall on the upstairs. Just as they're eating, Mean starts another conversation again. 

"I feel like I've eaten the food here before." Mean digs into a bowl of noodles. 

"Really? You remember the taste? But you've never eaten here with me anyway." Tina seems excited about hearing Mean remembering anything at all. 

"Kind of. It tastes so sad, though. Not that it doesn't taste good, but it makes me feel sad just because of eating this. I feel like I've never felt good to be eating here." 

"Then shall we leave?" Tina asks and Aom catches the words again. 

She realizes that she's hungry and she's tryinng to eat as much as she can, but now Tina's suggesting to leave. What is Aom's value to Tina? 

"No, let's just eat." Mean denys. 

Then Aom pretends as if she can't hear the conversation, but then Mean starts another conversation with Aom. 

"Aom? Why are you so quiet?" 

Aom pushes her bowl away from her and drinks her water before answering. "I just don't have anything to say at all." 

Tina knows this feeling in an instant, but she pretends to be calm. 

"You can join our conversation." Mean grins. 

"I don't know where to jump in when you keep things going." Aom smiles weakly. 

"You don't seem like my sister at all. I wonder how you both got to know each other." 

"It's a long story." Aom smiles again. 

"Long story? Then tell me why she kissed you on the cheek before we left? Anything between you two?"

Just as Aom is trying to open to tell Mean the truth, Tina cuts in. 

"We're friends. From when, I don't know. But we're long friends, right, Aom?" Tina looks at Aom in a hope that Aom would cope up with her. 

Aom, trying to hide her upset feeling because of Tina, forces herself to agree with her. 

"Yeah, we're friends. I don't know how close we are, but we're just friends." 

 

After they've finished their brunch, Tina mentions that she needs a new pair of Converse, and it's fine by everyone. In fact, Aom is fine with everything since she doesn't want to buy anything at all today. Let alone complaining. 

"These shoes don't look good on you." Mean shakes her head just as Tina tries on a pair of red Converse.

"What do you think, Aom?" Tina asks Aom. 

After hours of ignoring Aom, Tina finally wakes up from her dreams and realizes that Aom is there. 

"I think they look good on you." Then she turns away to look away from Tina. Instead, she thinks she might need a pair for herself as well, now that she's in a mood of wearing sneakers. 

She then walks to another part of the store and finds herself a pair of blue Converse, which she thinks are attractive. She then asks the seller to find her a right size for her feet and proceeds a payment. But Tina refuses. 

"Count that pair with mine." Tina blurps out from behind Aom just as she's fishing her purse from her handbag. 

"No, it's fine. I can afford a pair of shoes of myself." Aom refuses and hands her money to the seller but again, Tina forbids her. 

"No, Aom, really, I can afford them." Tina smiles and takes out her wallet and hands them the money instead. 

"Then keep them for yourself. I don't need them anymore." Then Aom walks away from the store just as they're giving back Tina's change, and the shoes. 

Aom walks as fast as lightning. She suddenly feels mad at everything. She suddenly feels upset as well. She's spent hours following them around like a lost puppy. She's spent hours to see her Tina pretending as if she's never existed at all. 

"Aom!" Tina runs from behind, followed by Mean, yet Aom ignores the sound. 

"Aom!" Tina shouts again while she's running, leaving Mean breathless sitting on a bench. 

Aom ignores the sound and runs back downstairs, and Tina keeps follwing until they reach the ground floor.

"Would you just talk to me?" Tina finally reaches Aom and pulls Aom to her, but Aom takes her hands away from her. 

"What do you want to talk about?" Aom tries to hold back her irrational feelings. 

"I don't understand why. Just a pair of shoes and you're refusing me." 

"That's right. Anything else you wanna talk about?" 

"What's that supposed to mean?" 

"It means you should let me go."

"I'm not gonna let you go until we've talked all the problems."

"Then what about this. Go back to Mean, and take her shopping. Go on your life without me and act as if I've never existed. And keep reminding Mean that we're just friends so that she can feel better. You don't have to care what I have to feel, or what I have to endure. That's right. Just pretend like I'm always okay with everything because I always am. Is that enough?" 

"Aom! Mean is sick, and she needs me! You do realize that she's up to this point because of me? I can't tell her that yet. What if I tell her that and she has another accident?" 

"That's the exact point what I'm trying to tell you. You're afraid of Mean getting another accident but aren't you afraid of me getting hurt because of you at all? What if it was also me who had that accident and I lost all my memories with Mean too? Would you try to tell me that we're just friends in front of Mean for Mean's sake and never let me know the truth? Would you spend months ignoring Mean and use your time with me instead like what you're doing to me now? It's been months since we last hung out, Tina. We only see each other at school. Do you even know how much I miss you but I can't tell you at all? You know what, it's all because of you. It's you and your freaking kindness. You have to remember what I'm telling you right now. You're making her falling in love with you the second time. And if you're gonna make this into a drama again, I'm done with this. "

"But you always say you're fine with everything! And I trust you!"

"For God's sake, Tina. Girls lie! I didn't want you to feel worried about me. I don't wanna put any pressure on you because I know what it really feels like. Please, I need time to be away from you. This time, it's no misunderstanding, no anything. It's just that we don't work out like the way we expect us to be. I need to be away from you. It's enough for me." 

"No...." Tina whispers. 

"Yes, and I'm getting used to it. If I can already spend months away from you, I'm sure I can spend another few months without you too. At the meantime, you can take care of Mean again, and make her remember all the things back without any fear of getting her into another accident again because there won't be me. And you don't have to feel anything. I really need to go." Aom's eyes turn red as if she's trying to hold her tears back. 

But she can't make it. 

Just as she's walking away from Tina, she knows that she's spoken the words which have destroyed what she's built. The heart of two people.