Chapter 46

You believe me now, don’t you?

Linda's P.O.V

 

What more does a mother want from her daughter besides her daughter being happy? I keep breathing everyday just for the sake of my daughter. I keep working everyday for the sake of her future. And now? She's doing everything to defy me. She keeps herself inside her room just to allow herself cry without acknowledging that I'm worried of her. She should at least talk to me more because I love her.

I wipe all my tears away just as Van comes down from her room. He looks concerned but not upset. 

"How is she?" I ask immediately just as he arrives at my counter. 

"She's fine, Auntie. Just a little sad." 

Of course, I know she's sad, that's what I think. 

"What did she say?" 

He shakes his head as if he wants to keep as a privacy between himself and her. 

"She told me the exact same thing she told you, Auntie. I don't think she wants to show much of her feelings with anyone. Besides, I get this feeling that she has something in her mind, which I don't know exactly." He scratches his head. 

"It must be a big trouble for you to come down here at this time." 

"Nah, don't get worried, Auntie. I grew up with her too, remember? You're like my mother too." 

It seems like I'm flattered by his words and I really appreciate them. I don't have a son, and I always wish I had a son like Van.

Van is really a respectful type of guy. He knows how to behave, which means, he behaves nicely to elders. Aom has always been attached to him because she has no other best friends besides Dew, Pei, and himself, Van. They're like best friends of the whole world. Van is a little bit younger than all of them but he is glad he's in the gang. Sometimes, I doubt if he likes my daughter. He smiles when she smiles, he gets upset when she does. And he's kinda mad when he sees Tina with Aom. 

"That's really sweet of you, Van. Would you like to stay here for a night because there's no man in the house. Her father will be away for another couple of weeks." 

He seems to be surprised about Jecht's absence, not my offering. He used to sleep here sometimes when he was small. Aom and Van used to sleepover at one another's house.

"Why is Uncle Jecht away, Auntie?" 

"He has to take care of his job with Tina's parents." 

He tries to think for the right thing to say. 

"I'm just kind like wondering if he knows about Aom too." 

"Van-" I try to smile. "I'm sorry if it's offensing. But can you and I keep it as a secret from Jecht? I don't want him to know about this yet. I just believe Aom can solve it out with Tina pretty soon. I don't want her father to rush things just to get here and go to his boss' daughter and punch her in the face. You know how protective he can be. Can I trust you with this? I also want to protect his career."

He nods with a weaks smile. "I promise." 

"Good. Are you staying here for tonight? There's a room available and you can wear Jecht's pajamas for tonight." 

"I'd love to." 


Auther's Narrative

 

Aom is still sitting on the same spot of her bed when she was talking to Van. 

She hates everything in the whole world, she hates how her pefect time goes ruined. She hates it when she accepts someone hardly, then her decision means nothing. How can one person be so good then change to be bad all of a sudden?

She recalls back the memories she had with Tina. They were so happy. They were so worried. They were so scared. They were thrilled. But all of this only happened because they had each other in mind. How about now? She sure Tina isn't here to be upset with her because she believes Tina's still enjoying her day with Mean. 

She hates the name of Mean. 

She hates the name of Tina. 

She doesn't care how many good things Tina has done to her but this is enough. She can forgive any other things else, but not cheating. Cheating is not tolerated. 

After shutting herself to crying and being upset, she finally has this guts of anger rising inside her body. She's mad at Tina. She's mad at Mean. She's mad at both of them for ruining her life. 

She rushes to the table where she usually puts her precious things on and destroy the things which keep the memories of her and Tina. The first thing she can grab is photo frame which Tina wrote on the back of the photo when she left her alone in the dark without even telling her one word. She hates Tina more when she thinks of that. She throws the photo frame down to the floor until the mirror cracked without looking down at it a bit more. She doesn't even care how much it cracks, she just wants it to disappear from her face. The next thing she can grab is that perfume. 

That perfume. 

It's not just a perfume. She has no idea how Tina put the ring inside the bottle, but the ring is just there. 

When she sees the perfume, she hesitates because the perfume actually means a lot to both of them. Only when she can obtain the ring is when she accepts Tina. But she will never use the perfume, never.

Without any further thoughts, she throws the bottle down on the floor and it hits hardly until the glass breaks. The liquid finally spills on the floor, the ruined parts of the bottle finally breaks apart into tiny pieces, and the ring finally lies flatly nearby the broken pieces. The scent of the perfume finally flows around the room, and it smells exactly the same as the scent as she uses everyday. She actually takes a few seconds wondering how Tina found out what she likes when Dew, her best friend, never gets the right perfume for her. Until then, she decides it doesn't matter and the perfume never matters. 

But it does. 

She finally stares back the the broken pieces of the glass and regrets immediately that she shouldn't have done it. It means so much to her as the ring inside it does. She'd longed for the time when she finally got to touch the ring, and the time when she can say "Yes" to Tina. And now, what is she supposed to do? But does it really matter? Tina doesn't care about her feelings because she'll be going out with someone else, and she's going to leave Aom alone again.

This proves Aom right. Tomboys are insecure; they're meant to be heartbreakers. The only one she thought was best was Tina, and now, even Tina breaks her heart. Who else can she expect to be better than her?

For now, all she has to do now is to wait until Tina tells her the truth. She just wants to know when. She wants nothing else than the truth from Tina's mouth even if Aom already knows what the truth is like. She is so well-prepared for the upcoming truth. 

She bends down to retrieve the ring and squeezes it inside her palm. It feels so cold, which isn't warm like the feelings she had for Tina. 


Tina's P.O.V

 

It's been a hard few days that I have ever encountered. I know I shouldn't be feeling so down, but I still am. I keep remembering about what Mean and I had that day, which wasn't all my intention. I spent these few days to avoid Mean as much as I could. I knew she was trying to chase after me, but thanks to my leg, I ran fast. P'Air actually noticed it, but I haven't told her the thing which happened yet.

I just don't have the guts. 

Of course, P'Air wouldn't say anything bad on me, but she wouldn't tolerate it as well. She hates it when I involve with someone who I don't actually like at all. She says it's an action of cruelity. 

"So, you and Mean are really something these days." 

She pops into this conversation as soon as Mean leaves the breakfast table to school today, Monday. 

"Huh?" 

She takes a sip of her milk. To be honest, I'm scared of drinking milk these days. I just prefer orange juice from now. 

"I don't know. I feel something weird is happening around. I don't know if Mean actually avoids you or it's just you who is avoiding her." 

"You know that I'm trying." 

"Which doesn't make me feel right." 

"Huh?" 

"Can you find any other words instead of 'Huh'? Actually, it's so not you who avoid Mean at any circumstances. Are you sure you're feeling right?"

"I'm just fine." 

I'm sick of talking about this thing with P'Air. I don't want her to know yet. I don't want her to look at me as if I have disgusted her since I've done a terrible thing. Really terrible. 

"I gotta go to school. I've missed so many classes. Hopefully, all of my teachers will forgive me." 

"I hope so." She smiles as she's toasting her milk glass, which I totally ignore this action of hers. 

My car is already waiting for me in front of the front door (one of the guards intentionally drove it here). Mean already left the house, which I feel so good since I don't have to see her at all. It is actually so stupid when you have to stay under the same roof with the person who makes you feel guilty all the time. 

I hop into the car in a hope of seeing Aom so soon. 

I've been finding so many reasons to talk to her, lately. But no matter what I try, she just doesn't care of me. And I don't know why. I keep telling myself that she's just not happy at the meantime, she'll be fine so soon. She just uses her emotions to solve the problem all the time. Sometimes, it's quite difficult to be reasonable to her because emotions don't have reasons at all. 

Today's traffic is sort of fine and it's so nice to drive once again. It's not that I love driving, but I just love the idea of staying in the car all by myself and no one is here with me. I don't actually appreciate people's accompany at all. I would actually avoid it at all cost if I could. 

I've finally arrived Aom's house, and my heart is pounding. I haven't seen her for quite a long time (for me) and I'm now seeing her again, which makes me feel so nervous. 

I hop out of the car and walk into the door. 

"Sawadee, Auntie." I try to greet Aom's mom as soon as I see her. 

Aom's mom seems to feel uncomfortable about seeing me, which is weird because she's always nice to me. I'm not saying that she isn't nice, but she's just someone else by now. She isn't exactly happy about me being here. She would tell me where Aom is every time I see her, though now she's doesn't. 

She just smiles back.

"Pardon me, but where is Aom, Auntie?" 

"Oh, She's in her room. I think she'll be down here at any moment." She smiles again; it feels so not right. 

"Who is it, Mom?" Aom's voice echoes from the upstairs and it makes my heart pounds again. What should I do when I see her again? Should I just smile or say stupid things to tease or what?

Then here she is. She just simply walks down from her room to the basement without any problem at all. I still see her beauty as the best which has ever happened to me. I can't believe myself that I actually miss her a lot. Her silky hair makes me want to put my hand into them. Her eyes are urging me to stare at them everyday. 

As soon as she sees me, she feels uncomfortable like her mother did.

"Why are you here?" 

I'm confused by her question.

"Well, I am supposed to pick you up everyday, remember?" 

She looks away from me, as if she just remembers something about me. She doesn't look back at me.

"I see. Maybe you don't have to pick me up again starting from today. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this. Van will do me this favor everyday."

What just happened here? Why is it happening? Why am I not supposed to pick her up everyday?

"Aom, are you okay? My dad wants me to pick you up to school everyday, remember?"

She finally has the guts to look back into my eyes. 

"He wants, but maybe I just don't want it, for now. I need some time." 

"What? Your time to avoid me?" 

"Exactly. I need to avoid you if that answers your question." 

Just as I'm ready to open my mouth to protest back, Aom's mom cuts us off. 

"Aom, Van is here, sweetheart." She smiles to both of us. 

"Thank you, Mom. I'll see you when I get back home." Then she walks to the door to Van without saying goodbye to me. 

What does that mean? Why is she suddenly so cold again?

"Auntie, would you mind telling me what just-"

"Tina" she smiles "You're supposed to go to school, okay? I think it's better if you talk to her instead of me." 

"Goodbye." then I turn back to my car. 

Great.

Just when you hope things will be fine by today, it just turns out worse. 

I get into my car and drive to follow both of them. Hopefully, I can see his motorbike.

I skipped so many traffic lights, and I finally get to see them. 

This is so stupid, but just what is happening to Aom's mind? Why is Van the one who's taking her to school? I thought she said she chose me. 

I don't think I should make any moves except follow them around. 

 

We all finally arrive in front of the school gate. Since Van is an outsider, he isn't allowed to get inside the school.

Of course, as usual, the girls are all standing in front of the gate... again... waiting for me. This gets me frustrated and I don't like it at all. How would you feel when most of the girls at school waited for you everyday just to see you in your car? What really annoys me is that they just don't have any chance to talk to me. But just to look at me. 

Aom gets of from Van's motorbike in front of the girls and they all don't look really well. I'm pretty far away from them and I don't think they all know where I am. Vans ride away from the school gate.

Just then...

Just as Van rides away his motorbike from the school, all the girls are starting to make their moves. They all look so frustrated because the sight of Aom and this is not good. Not good! I repeat, not good. 

One of the gang's leader comes out from the crowd and talks to Aom. I don't know what they're talking about, but the leader isn't using her best behavior. 

I have to do something. 

Just I'm driving closely to them, the leader slaps Aom in the face until she has to fall to the ground hardly. I park my car recklessly and hop out of the car.

"What do you think you're doing?" I shout to the gang. 

A majority of girls who are standing in front of the gates turn their looks to me. They all looked satisfied with their leader slapping Aom, but now they look so terrified to see my presence. 

"Tina... I..." The leader tries to apologize.

"You and I will have something to talk." I shout back at her and run to Aom immediately.

Aom is still lying on the ground when she has no idea that I am coming. Though now that she sees me, she tries to balance herself to stand up, but she fails. 

"Aom, are you okay?" I ask just as I reach her and pull up her arm.

"Don't touch me." She says. 

"Please just let me help you." Then I help her standing up successfully this time.

"No, leave me alone." she pushes me away.

"What's the matter with you?" I pull my eyebrows together. 

She doesn't seem to release her anger.

"Nothing is wrong with me. Just solve out the problems with your girls and I don't want to be the victim here. And girls-" She turns around to look at the crowd. "Just because I've been with her in her car, doesn't mean that I am with her. Just keep your behavior, and don't go around slapping people like that." Then she turns to the girl who slapped her earlier. 

"What did you just say? Keep whose behavior?" The girl shouted.

"Any of you! I'm sick and tired of this drama. You can have her all you want, and I don't give a damn about it." Then she picks up her bag and walks into the school while the crowd makes the way for her. She leaves me standing in the crowd alone. 

"Tina, don't listen to what she's saying. She's just jealous that she can't do like us." one of the girls from the crowd says. 

"You all shut up. And never stand in front of the gates for me again because it annoys me. And you-" I turn to the girl who slapped Aom earlier. "This isn't going to end." 

"What? You're willing to protect the girl who doesn't even give a damn about you?"

"Then what of it? It's my matter, not yours. You and I will have something to talk soon. Now go away!" I shout.

The girl seems frightened and makes the group dismissed.