Chapter 42

You believe me now, don’t you?

Aom's P.O.V

 

What would you actually say if you wanted to be with someone so badly then something bad happened right in front of your eyes? I wouldn't count my father's madness as a bad thing either, though I feel it. The reason for me hating tomboys before is this family, I must say. The thing about this family makes me feel so uncomfortable to be with toms. My mother is quite okay with it, I suppose, since she spends a bunch of her time trying to make Tina feel comfortable at our home. She doesn't mind to be around toms, either. Though my dad is different. He doesn't speak much of Tina, to be honest, even though Tina's a daughter of his boss.

Our family really owes much to the Jitaleela family. Like a lot. Many years ago, when I was young - from what my mom told me - Tina's father, Steven, was my mom's best friend in the whole world. They spent their time a lot together when they were young, up until the point that Tina's father felt something deeply for my mom. Of course, Tina's dad has always been famous, handsome and rich. He could have any girl he liked by giving them a wink of the eye, like Tina. He was absolutely gorgeous. However, at first, he wanted to be with my mom. He tried his best to have my mom as his girlfriend, though his hardwork had be denied. Just unfortunately, my mom felt nothing for him more than a brother since they always spent their time together like siblings, no romance involved. Up until the time my dad came in, my mom was starting to get unstable with her feelings. She started to see my dad and Uncle Steven noticed that. He was actually the one who binded my parents together ever since they were in high school. The special thing about it before Uncle Steven had to go abroad to further his education, he told my mom that if she ever needed anything, she could always tell him so that he would try his best to help her. 

Yes, Uncle Steven departed to England during that period of time while my parents remained here. When my parents got married, Uncle Steven wasn't here either. Years later, when they had me and I was about in 4th grade, my father couldn't manage to find decent job to support the family well. My mother was totally jobless by that time. By miracle, that was the time my parents met Uncle Steven again by accident. He was so nice (has always been nice) that he offered my dad a position in his company (it was quite small at that time) then they all worked together. A few years ago, my dad had to fill in the mission that Uncle Steven had given him, the mission was over abroad, of course, that was why my family and I had to leave here for a year or two. And that's when I believed that I'd met Tina and left her.

If it wasn't for Uncle Steven, my family wouldn't be what we are today, and I'm grateful for all the wonderful things he has given us. 

Only one thing that my father doesn't appreciate Uncle Steven's kindness. He is totally okay with Tina to be around even if he doesn't really like tomboys, but it's totally unacceptable for him to accept his daughter to be with another girl. Or is it just my assumption? I hope so. I really hope so. 

I'm not planning to introduce Tina to my parents as anything related to Love just yet because we're nothing right now just friends. But what if he had to develop our feelings later? It's really hard to think about it. I mean I'm totally happy to think that we can reach to the point when we can say we love each other dearly, but I'm just not sure about our family. My family. 

I believe that her family is totally fine with this since Tina's appearance doesn't actually shock them but to make them proud. Uncle Steven doesn't have a son and I think, therefore, he loves Tina to be brave and she has always been.

"What are you thinking?" Tina suddenly interrupts my long-thought. 

I shake my head. "Nothing." I hope I sound convincing.

She stares into my eyes for a moment then she suddenly knows what happens. 

"You're lying, you know?" She reaches out her hand and I take it. 

"I don't normally lie people." I sit nearby her again on her bed. 

She my hand gently. 

"You always do to me." She closes her eyes. "Always."

"Sometimes we have to lie, don't we?" 

She ignores my question. 

"Are you scared?" She seems to be nervous as much as I am. 

"No." I look away. 

"You're lying again." She reaches her other hand to my chin and turns my face back to hers. 

"You're scared of your father, of what he's going to do to you... to us. But Aom, I don't care about that. We can always find out something later. It's just a matter of time." 

"How? Tina, how? Your parents understand you while mine don't. It's very hard for them to accept the thing that we're going to have right now."

"I'm an optimistic person, Aom. And I will always believe that everything will turn out to be okay." She smiles. "I don't know if it's true, Aom, but your dad talks to my dad a lot about you and me. I love it how my father always tells me the story of them talking to each other us. Of course, it's not like he thinks that we should be a couple but he just says that I'm nice." She smirks. 

"Tina, there's no time for joking." 

"I'm not joking. If your dad has to be angry at us, it's only because you didn't tell him how you feel about me. No father in the whole likes to be kept in the secret." She smiles again. The smile is not so convincing. 

"If anything happens to us, then -"

"Then I will always run to you no matter how far you are from me. Stay in love with me." She smiles warmly again. 

"I don't love-"

"Don't love me? I will have to need to have the proof." 

"There are things that can't be proved. You can't sometimes understand the thing what I'm having." 

"Exactly. There are things that can't be proved. You just need to say this to your parents. The thing you're having is not always understandable to them. But you know, it means so much to you that you can't bear the idea of losing it. I feel exactly this way." She holds up my hand and kisses its knuckles. 

"I-" 

"It's late already, Aom. I think you should return back to your home." 

"What about you?" 

"P'Air will be with me. Or Mean." She giggles. 

I scowl at her. 

"I'm only kidding. P'Air will always be with me. Besides, I just can't help but suggest you that you should talk to your mom first of what was happening back home when you weren't there." She kisses it again then lets me go. 

"I know." I stand up and smile at her before I leave. 

"You have to believe in us, Aom. Goodnight." She smiles again before I leave the door. 


Aom's P.O.V

 

P'Air insisted on driving me home when I reached the ground floor. Tina must have told her to hurry after me. Though I turned her down. I just need some time alone to think. If I had to sit in a car with P'Air again, my concentration will be lost. She seemed to understand me and let me go without a word or so. She needs to spend time with Tina too since Tina is a patient here and I really don't wanna leave her alone. 

Van had left me earlier which left me no options but to have a taxi back home. It used to be my favorite ride to school before Tina came and it feels nice when I get to sit in it again. 

"Mom?" 

I got home a few minutes before when I noticed the house had been locked already. I think my mom is still downstairs and it turns out my idea is correct. She's really waiting for me down there. 

"In a minute." 

She then unlocks the door and lets me in. She doesn't have that smiling face on her anymore now that I know what is really happening. My dad is really mad at me and I don't know why. It can't be Tina because we don't technically have anything together. 

I get inside while she locks back the door since no one left will be coming into the house. I sit down at a table nearby our counter, inhale and exhale loudly that my mom notices. It's quite a tiring day and yeah, it's just that. 

"How's Tina?" it's such ashame that I really should have asked my mom first about the thing she's been having with my dad, but it turns out that she's the one who starts this conversation. 

"She's fine by now. Just needs a little rest, I guess." 

"I see." Then she sits down on a chair beside me, her palms in her face. 

"Mom, what's wrong? You seem to be so upset." I try to reach for her hand, but by the time I do so, she just stands up and walks back to the counter. 

"I have something to return to you." 

Since when I have given my mother anything at all? It's been only two gifts so far this year. The first was on Valentine's day, and another one was on Mother's day. What else?

She walks back to me then I abruptly realize what she was talking about. A bottle of perfume with a ring inside it is inside my mother's palm. My mother is carrying it back to me. How could I be so reckless that I left it on the table before I went to Tina?

She sits back at her last seat and hands it to me. 

"I don't mind people giving you perfume because your best friend always gives you so. But what's wrong with this that it has a ring it it? What is that supposed to mean?" 

I stare at the bottle of perfume for a while, try to avoid her gaze. 

"Mom... I..." 

"You left home today with Van, then you came back with Tina with this perfume. You think that I don't know who gave it to you?" 

I really don't think I should answer her at all. 

"Aom, sweetheart, I don't mind you having any kind of relationship with any person you want, but the problem is not on me. Your dad seems to protect the pride and the fame of the family. We're not rich, but we like to have good reputation. And I-"

"Mom! Please just listen to me. I don't think having this kind of relationship is destroying our family's reputation. I'm proud that I have finally found someone I can share everything with. Is it that bad, mom?"

"You're still young and you don't understand how people will look at you! All you teenage kids think is ways to satisfy your own needs. But before you do that, I want you to have a clear look on other people around you who are unwillingly take the effects from you. You see the small proportion of people who support you, but have you ever looked at other people who don't approve with this?

"I know it's a nature, but nature can be changed if you put yourself into it. And look at yourself! You were you before you met Tina and now you've changed. Maybe you can change yourself back if-"

"Mom, I don't think I've been normal before Tina. It's only because of the family's influence at that time. I think I became myself more when I learn about her. Please, don't make it hard on me."

She nods. 

"You're my only daughter and I always hope for the best to you. If you had a choice, you wouldn't do such a thing. I'm just trying every best I can to make you look into another conception. But I just can't. Save your breath for your father. He'll come back home in a few days." 

"Not tomorrow?"

"No, the working progression has to be delayed." 

"Thank you, mom. For your understanding." Then I hug her dearly like I've never hugged anyone before. 

"Silly child. I'm your mother and I will always be by your side no matter what. I love you. And Aom, it was your father, who found out the perfume which you left on the table. He went into your room and searched everything. He even found something Tina made for you." 


Tina's P.O.V

 

Disaster sometimes means good luck, if you have to ask me. My mother always told me that when I was a child. It was so funny back then because I always made disastrous things then it turned out that my mom always helped me with them. Then I called them luck. But it's not funny at all for now. Things aren't just on my mom for now. It's also on other people who aren't so optimistic about the choice their daughter is choosing. 

It scares me a lot when I know Aom's dad has something against me. I know it's totally a wrong thing to lie to Aom that her dad talks about me a lot because my dad has never mentioned stuff about what her father says about me. I'm not keen to what he has to say to me. I don't care of what people say anything at all. 

She leaves the room and I remain here. Alone. There are thoughts that are entering into my head without permission. What if her dad stops us? What if her dad decides to talk to my dad about it? What if they have to fight just because of us? I don't want any of my needs to hurt people around me. It's so selfish. 

All I want to do now is to talk to her father, but can I? He's away and I'm not sure I can see him also because I just can't help but feel that he doesn't like my anymore even if my dad's his boss. 

I wish I knew a way to solve the problem. 

"She's gonna be alright. Relax." It's P'Air again. 

"Like you can."

"Of course I can. I'm completely fine." 

"It's because it's not your problem." 

"Hey, every problem of yours is mine. So shut up." P'Air scowls at me. 

"Hmph." 

There's a silence between us then she talks again. 

"Tina, what if something really happens to both of you?" 

"I can't imagine that." 

"Well, I'm just saying. Aom's dad is not like a kind of person who appreciates this thing between you and his daughter. He seems to be serious all the time. And I don't like thinking about that." She rests her head on the chair she's sitting on. 

"Yeah, he is serious all the time. I just can't figure out what the consequence might be." 

"Mom just called me, by the way." 

"Yeah? Why would she call you in the middle of the night?" I goggle my eyes.

"Well, she said she couldn't reach your phone number so she had to call me, asked me if you were alright. Yeah, you are."

I nod and she continues. 

"Mom seems to think that Aom's dad is totally in a bad mood now. She told me before she hopped on another plane with dad and her dad to whatever country they're heading to." 

"I know. Maybe he just found out about us."

"I guess so. I just wish he didn't leave the company and that's all." 

"Why would you say anything like that?" 

"Because her dad has never acted like he's totally in a bad mood in front of our parents ever since he started his career at our place."