Chapter XXXVIII

You believe me now, don’t you?

Air's P.O.V

 

"You've done something terrible, don't you know, Mean?" 

We're sitting in a cafeteria where a lot of people are moving pretty fast as if they're about to catch a plane. Even if they're moving, we're sitting still. As a sister, I have to be responsible of what's happening around with these young teenage girls. 

Mean is still stirring at her coffee and she hasn't spoken to me even a word. I doubt she has anything to speak at all. 

"Mean, I -" 

"You don't have to speak anything, P'Air. I know what you're trying to tell me." She cuts me off. 

She puts her spoon down on the coffee's plate but doesn't drink the coffee. Instead, she just looks at me.

"I respect you, and I admire you, P'Air. But there are circumstances that I have to disobey the order I'm given. I love Tina, and I bet the whole family knows that. Mom and dad are just pretending they don't know, but you can't." 

I take a big sigh and focus back on her.

"That's right. That's why I'm talking to you today as your sister. I don't just interfere into anybody's business, you know." 

"I'm glad you step into this, but P'Air, I want to be independent. I want her to love me unconditionally." 

"She does. She loves you unconditionally, Mean. But not up to the point where she has to drag you out and tell everybody that you're her girlfriend because you're not. You're her sister." I sigh heavily.

"So are you trying to tell me that Aom deserves Tina more than me? Is that the problem?" Her eyes are as dark as night is.

"I'm sorry I have to know about this problem. And I'm not saying who deserves Tina more than who but have you wondered who Tina needs more? Mean, you and Tina are supposed to be sisters! Not lovers! And that's why I'm dragging you here." 

She shakes her head. "No, that doesn't solve the problem. You dragged me out just because you wanted Aom to feel better. Then what about me? Have I ever felt any better when she came into our lives?" Her voice is still calm.

"I don't see I have any trouble with that. Neither does Tina." I reply.

She takes a sip of her coffee then speaks. "I'm only a human with one heart. When it loves someone, and she doesn't return hers back to it, it definitely has to be in agony. I hate the idea of seeing Tina with Aom. You know that, don't you?" 

"But isn't it nice to think that that someone's heart belongs to another person who also loves her back? I know that seeing her with Aom is such a pain for you but at least you should learn to get yourself back. Why would you let yourself fall deeper when you know there's no chance for you at all? If you continue, there's only one thing you can feel, and it's pain." I sigh.

"I'm only your adopted-sister, Mean, but I feel like you have always been my real sister. I love you and I'm telling the pain that you will be supposed to feel if you let yourself do whatever you like, like that. And you also know Tina. Once she's made up her mind, there's nothing you can do to pull her back. Can't you tell that she's so deeply in love with Aom? Let go, will you?" I continue.

Her tears are rolling down, as if my words strike exactly to and that she can't even speak at all. She appears to be silent for a while then asks me some quesions again.

"Is that wrong to love someone that dearly, P'Air? Is it wrong? Why do I have to endure all the pain when everybody is laughing with their loved ones? Why is it have to be me?" 

"It's not wrong, Mean. But you just fall in love with wrong person. The person whose heart doesn't even belong to you. You stay only to get the pain that you don't even deserve. You were born to be sisters, not lovers. Instead of being in this painful stage, why not let go and take someone else into your life? Someone who will accept you for what you are? Mean, please, just think of you and Tina as impossible." I sigh again but this time, she wipes all her tears away.

"As long as I'm alive, impossible will never be in my dictionary." She whispers as she shakes her head.


Aom's P.O.V

 

"Hey you! Didn't you hear what I just asked?" 

"I did, but I just need time to drink some water, Ms. Nasty." Tina's still drinking her water endlessly. As she stops, she sets the cup down and rests her head back on the pillow. It's like the fever inside her body keeps urging her to drink more water.

She asks me to position the bed so that she can sit and talk to me and I do.

After she has sit properly, she begins to explain.

"You know what happened between us, right? You don't need me to tell any of that, yeah?" Then I nod, feel the guilt up again that I never should have discussed about that topic with her; she continues. "I always know that I'm allergic to seafood and I don't want to eat any of that. But I saw you were so excited with the idea of it, I had to give up the precaution and just went with the flow. And I-"

"I really have to be sorry about that. If I had known, I'd-"

"No, you're not sorry. You've done nothing wrong. And please just let me finish or else I'll be lost. I drove you home, and I was suddenly in a bad mood, like I wasn't myself. I know the sympton of my allergic but I didn't have the chance to talk to you about it. I'm sorry about that. I'm sorry we had to fight by the very first day since I've lost the contact with you. By that time, I was pretty upset that we had to fight over just because of him. I wanted to be quiet and I wanted to be alone and I didn't want to discuss the problem with anyone, even Mean."

"But why did you decide to go to Mean's old apartment? Apparently it's her old apartment or her parents' apartment, as I was told." I cut her off this time but she doesn't seem to mind that.

"That's exactly the reason why I went there. I thought she would never come here again since this place reminds her a lot of things. She had so much to take within this house. And up until now, I still have no idea why she went there too. I didn't call anyone to come up for me because like I said, i really wanted to be alone." She sighs.

"But you said you weren't feeling well. How could you want to be alone when you weren't well at all? Tina! Can you see how dangerous that could be? What if Mean hadn't been around? Do you think that you can sit here on the bed and talk to me?" All of a sudden, it blows up into frustration.

"I didn't expect myself to be in this condition, okay? Just calm down and listen to me. It's not as if I didn't need any of the help but I had never imagined myself being admitted to the hospital like that." She looks annoyed too.

"Well, at least you know you have this type of allergic and you-" 

"That's what worries me. I think maybe it's just because I've grown older that this allergic is getting stronger. Before, when I accidentally ate any food related to the seafood, just a rest could solve the problem. And so, I thought I would be okay when I rested for a while by that time at Mean's house. Who had this idea of being admitted to the hospital. I'm worried if my parents know." I cut her.

"Does your mom know?" she asks.

I nod. "Apparently, yes. Since P'Air bursted into my door and dragged me out immediately. And I told her too."

She sighs heavily with wide eyes. The eyes that I love most about her.

"What?" I ask.

"That's gonna be another problem." She smiles then adds. "My parents are going to know if your mom can't keep it shut." 

"Hey, that's my mom you're talking about." I elbow her and she chuckles then doesn't say anything.

"Promise me that you'll never stay alone like that, forever! If we have any problem, we should talk. Not escaping each other like that." I complain.

"Well, we did talk, didn't we? The only problem was that we didn't get to agree with each other, which was the most annoying part of the story. I love myself, but I love you more to let you win over me many times." She sighs. 

"You what?"

"I what?" She opens her eyes widely as she turns back.

The idea of her speaking I love you so easily like that somehow bugs me. It's like she's not scared to admit that she loves me. 

"You-"

"I love you and you've heard it before. If saying this makes you mine, then i will actually say it everyday until we grow old together." She grins.

"In your dreams."

"You are a dream, don't you know that?" She smiles gently.

"And why is that?" I look at her, confused.

"You're too beautiful to be a human. Not even in novels can be compared to you. The only possible reason is that you're a dream." She smiles again, proud to say all those words.

"Now now, you've made me worried enough, and just saying a few words can actually calm me down?"

"I said it not because I was prepared for you but it came naturally in my head. This is an unprepared speech, if you must know." She sighs.