Chuseok!

Seungyeon's Knights
Please log in to read the full chapter

Seungyeon pov:

I sighed as I folded the mattress nicely and put it in a corner, there was no use staying in my room with all these thoughts swimming in my head. I might as well do something productive so I wouldn’t start to think so much.

I went out the back door of the house and decided to practice some martial arts. My dad used to be a martial arts teacher and when I was young he taught me some moves for the sole purpose that I could protect myself if something bad happened. But I always used to feel that there was a deeper meaning than that.

When I was young, I never knew what my dad REALLY did. He was always secretive and he would tell me that I didn’t need to know and it was to keep me safe.

When I got older, I found out that he was a secret agent working for the government but he would never let me in on any of his cases or what he was supposed to do. Sometimes he would come back with a bloodshot eye or a gunshot wound to the leg..but he would always tell me the same thing, that I didn’t have to worry about him and that if I didn’t know…I would be safe.

Lost in my thoughts and the moves of the martial arts, I didn’t notice Jinyoung had already returned and was watching me from the back door.

“Wah…agasshi, I didn’t know you knew subak (Korean traditional martial arts)…” Jinyoung said as he approached.

I laughed as he was using the traditional Korean martial arts term. “Well my abuji taught me some…” I said, scratching my head. I must have looked like an idiot practicing those moves.

Jinyoung smiled. “Well, go get changed…we’re going out!”

I looked at Jinyoung curiously. “Where are we going?? It’s almost dinner time.”

“Aissshhh…agassshi…today’s Chuseok, don’t you remember?” Jinyoung said, pushing me into the house from behind.

“Chuseok!! Ahhh…I guess I was too caught up with who I was I forgot.”  I said, sighing.

Jinyoung laughed. “Well for now you don’t have to worry about anything and get changed okay….I’m gonna bring you somewhere!” I could feel the tingle of excitement in his voice.

I smiled, I think I was beginning to like this guy.

“Ye! I’ll be quick!” I said disappearing into my room.

Jinyoung and I left the house just as the sun set.

“So where are we going?” I asked.

“It’s Chuseok so there’s gonna be a festival in the city!”

“Sounds like fun.” I grinned, fun was something I needed now.

“I know a place where we could watch the whole festival without having to rush with the crowd. There’ll be a good view of the full moon too!” Jinyoung said.

“Sounds great!” I said, as we entered the bustling city.

There were lots of people around with their families flocking around the food and games stalls and also a lot of people carrying lanterns.

Jinyoung and I crowded around a stall selling songpyeon (traditional Korean small rice cakes). I stared at the colorful half moon shaped rice cakes in awe, they looked so delicious.

“What kind of filling do you want?” Jinyoung asked.

“Sesame seeds and honey….oh and also the chestnut paste ones.” I said excitedly.

Jinyoung and I bought the rice cakes and proceeded to the square where the people were having a ssireum (wrestling competition).

“Come come, 50 yang to anyone who is willing to challenge our champion…” a man holding a gong announced as he lifted the champion’s arm.

The people started chatting noisily as Jinyoung and I looked around the crowd for anyone who was going to challenge the champion.

“You should go.” I said, nudging Jinyoung.

“Whhatt…no!” Jinyoung protested, pushing my arm back.

“Come on…it’s 50 yang!!! We could like get loads of lanterns with that money! And food!” I said, shaking Jinyoung’s arm.

“Aisshhh..” Jinyoung said, staring at me.

“Come on please…doctor Jin…” I begged, grinning at him.

“Aiishhh.if I get hurt you’re gonna take care of me until I get better!” Jinyoung said.

I nodded “Hehe..”

I gave Jinyoung a small push as he stumbled out of the crowd.

“Oh! Looks like we have a challenger!” the man with the gong announced as he went over and grabbed Jinyoung.

Everyone was staring at Jinyoung and chatting away.

I could see he was so nervous his eyes were opened so wide.

“Woooo!!! Go Doctor Jung!!” I screamed.

Jinyoung bit his lip and gave me a this-is-all-your-fault look.

“What’s your name sir!” the man asked.

“Jjj Jinyoung…” Jinyoung stammered.

The man laughed, looking at Jinyoung from head to toe. “You’re so skinny….are you sure you can beat the wrestling champion?” the man asked, as the crowd started to laugh.

“I’ll try…”

Please log in to read the full chapter