happy-less birthday

BY FATE

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yoochun’s grin reached his ears. It was exactly 12:00 in the midnight and Junsu handed him the money with a huge frown on his face.

“I won.” He said with such excitement. Rei and Saki just rolled their eyes with what the two crazy men did.

“You don't have to brag it to the world!” Junsu hissed as he took a sip from his wine glass.

It was a special day for everyone especially for Jaejoong. It was his birthday and everyone gathered to celebrate with the frowning celebrant. It was just a simple dinner party like they used to have with their friends. Gifts from Cassies around the world started pouring in but none of them succeeded in cheering him up. He was smiling but everyone could tell that he was only faking it. Everyone knew what or rather who can give him genuine happiness. And that person didn’t come and Yoochun won the bet once again.

Jaejoong look a deep breath and stood.

“I’m going to sleep. Thanks for coming.” He said blankly with a wine glass on his hand and went to his room and locked himself in.

Rei knew that he will going to sulk again with what happened. He hadn’t received anything from his girl and anything meant nothing, not even a single greeting. It was pretty understandable why Jaejoong was feeling gloomy once again. What made Rei frustrated was she couldn’t do anything about it and she couldn’t even blame him to feel that way. She definitely can relate.

 

“You are not helping Jae with what you are doing.” Yunho said in full authority. Even with a casted leg, he never failed to let everyone know that he was still the leader especially to the two most stubborn members.

Junsu and Yoochun went silence. They were guilty and they kept on doing it for fun, disregarding Jae’s feelings.

“Oppa, I told Yoo-chi for countless of times but he never listen to me.”

“Me too.” Added Saki. “But this crazy dolphin enjoys wasting his money on useless things. He never won against Yoochun Oppa.”

“You have to stop doing this stuff.” Yunho told them at once.

“But Hyung,” Junsu protested. “…we’re doing this so that Jae hyung will stop sulking. We all know for a fact that Naomi loves her work and she will never let an opportunity go.”

“But still…”

“Hyung, Jaejoong hyung needs to be busy with something else. We haven’t been working on anything for a long time now and he is free to do anything.” Yoochun said half whining.

DBSK was not busy at the moment. The company temporarily froze their activities until they catch the culprit responsible for Yunho’s freaky accident. All of them were left hanging and although they got the vacation and rest they needed and wanted for so long, they still couldn’t go anywhere with their love ones. The issue about their relationships was still hot and anti fans as well as paparazzi were all around the corners and places waiting for some scoop so they were extra careful. Even a simple trip to the supermarket required a lot of talent to be able to return to their home alive.

SM Ent. didn’t allowed them to talk, at least not yet. Yoochun had composed five albums worth of songs but they were just kept in his laptop waiting to be sung. And little by little, boredom was killing them.

“Manager hyung said we have to wait for their signal to talk.” Yunho said as he tried to reach for the juice on the table at the center of the living room. He finally ditched the wheelchair so a crutch was helping him to walk.

“Yeah. They are waiting for the owner of that Maserati to come out.” Junsu said.

“Let’s just enjoy the temporary freedom.” Changmin joined the conversation.

Yoochun chuckled with a little mockery. “You call this freedom? We can’t even go out without a disguise and you call this freedom.”

“Yoo-chi.” Her husband’s voice rose and she knew that he was slowly losing his temper, not because of Changmin but because of the situation they were currently in. All of them wanted to go back to work on stage and help Jaejoong forget and have a stress-free mind but at that point, everything was impossible for them.

“Why don't we stay here for the night?” Rei suggested. “YooMi is already sleeping and all of us are tired.”

“Yah good idea.” Junsu smiled. “I want to sleep beside my mermaid.” He even snatched a kiss from her cheeks. It slightly lightened the atmosphere even just for a while.

“Sure.” The mermaid smiled mockingly. “But I cannot assure you that you will see a bright tomorrow ahead of you.”

“Yah!” Junsu hissed. “Maybe I should asked some to sleep with me!” he tried to threatened her but Saki knew better. She just smirked and said,

“Fine. Call one and I will also call Kyu. He will surely be here within an hour. I will ask him to sleep with me. Beside me to be exact and I will hug him so tight to the extend that I couldn’t breathe anymore and…”

“Yah!” Junsu seriously yelled, giving her a warning shot. “Alright! I will sleep with Changmin and hyung at the guess room.”

“Good!”

Everyone laughed at he dolphin. He never once won against his mermaid or even against anyone else.

“What now Junsu? Got a taste of your own medicine?” Yoochun teased.

“Just wait till we get married!” He hissed.

“Oh believe me dolphin.” She smiled. “Things won’t change.”

“Yah… I can still remember when you ran into the church and kneeling in front of the altar and crying your heart out because you want this handsome dolphin back into your arms.”

“Oh yeah!” Saki rode on with it. “That was also the time you begged me to say I love you.”

“Round two goes to Saki!” Changmin laughed and clapped his hands, making Junsu turned red as a tomato.

The tension was finally erased.

“Let’s go to sleep!” he stood and headed to the guess room.

It was the same moment when Mi Young went out from the kitchen holding a bucket full of water and a mop.

“Where are you going?” Rei called her.

“Upstairs.” She said softly. “I heard him throw up so I’m going to clean it.”

“You heard him?” Yoochun couldn’t believe the power of her ears.

Actually, she didn’t hear it. She just assumed it since every night for the past weeks. Jaejoong did the same thing. And she was right. She saw all the mess Jaejoong created the moment she opened his door. She just shook her head in disappointment and started to clean the floor.

“He finally allowed you to enter his room.” Rei said behind her that almost made her jump.

“Ah.” She stopped cleaning and nodded. She knew that Rei didn’t like her so she did her best to answer her truthfully and avoid messing with her master’s sister. “I make sure he’s already asleep before I come here.”

Rei just nodded and took a glimpse of her Oppa who was sleeping with his laptop beside him.

“Is he always like this?” She asked. Since YooMi was always sick, Rei didn’t have much time visiting her Oppa and ask how he was doing and she felt so guilty about it.

“Ah…” she reluctantly said as she wiped the floor. “He’s been drinking every single night and staring at his computer.”

“Oppa.” She whispered.

Mi Young then stood and bowed to her.  “I will just get some water.” She said but Rei took her hand and squeezed it gently.

“Mi Young.” She whispered and the butler instantly became nervous.

“M-master.” She looked down and expected some harsh words from her but instead…

“Thank you.” Rei smiled with all her heart and she can’t help but to be surprised.

“F-for what master?”

“I know we had a rough start.” She said. “I have to admit that I didn’t like you but you showed such concern for my brother and I’m so happy about it.”

Mi Young smiled and gently shook her head.

“It’s my job. No need to thank me for things that I have to do.”

“No. You dared enter his room. It’s something that I was scared doing before. Oppa didn’t like his room to be invaded by anyone and if he have a choice, he will ban me too from entering but you are such a brave girl.” Rei then chuckled. She then held Mi Young’s hand and once again smiled. “Well, it’s not really about his room we’re talking about here.”

Mi Young finally chucked with her. It was a great feeling that at least Rei didn’t hate her that much.

“And I wanna make up with all the iness I showed you.”

“Ah.. No… you didn’t do anything master…” Mi Young said but Rei was determined.

“It’s Rei. We’re friends so you don't need to call me master.”

“F-friends…?” her eyes widened and fell into deep thinking. She never really had a friend at home and Rei was the first and there was pure happiness that suddenly exploded inside her.

 

 

Rei smiled and nodded. “And please, master makes me feel like I’m some kind of a witch or some creature from other world. “

“But that’s what slaves call their superiors.” She insisted and earned a laughed from Rei.

“In fairytales yes but you’re not a slave. Call Oppa Sir if you want to but drop the master thing. It’s more than weird.”

Mi Young just smiled as an answer. Somehow, she was happy that one person was subtracted from the list of her haters.

“I… I will just get some water.”

Rei just nodded and watched her leave.

 

“So.” Yoochun hugged her from behind. “You finally decided to be a good girl.”

“I’m always a good girl.” She pouted.

“I know.” He kissed her lips and smiled. “But not to Mi Young.” he said afterwards.

Rei looked down and sighed.

“I still feel something towards her and until now, I can’t name that thing. Maybe we will be best friends someday. Nobody knows. This is the start.”

“You can trust her.”

“I know. Her concern for Oppa is beyond work.” She said as she looked at Jae who was sleeping on his bed.

“He still misses Naomi.” Said Yoochun.

“I know how hard it is for him.”

“But he will soon overcome that feeling and go on like nothing happened. Six months is not that long.”

Rei then turned and face her husband and cupped his face.

“Those six months feels like years Yoo-chi.”

And Yoochun understood what she meant. Being away with someone you love for six months was equivalent to a lifetimes worth of waiting in agony and anxiousness.

 

 

“Good Morning.” Jae lazily sat at the kitchen’s preparing table and gently massaged his aching temple. Everyone was still sleeping except for the girls who were at the kitchen preparing some breakfast.

“Good morning drunken mister.” Rei smiled and Saki giggled.

Their Oppa really looked like a mess that morning. His hair was a total disaster and his facial hair was starting to get noticed. It made Rei grimaced. She hated unshaved guys.

“Oppa, have you looked at your self in the mirror?” she frowned and leaned unto him.

“I don't think so.” Saki batted in behind her. She was at the sink washing some fruits for everyone.

Jae then touched his face and felt the growing hair. It was rough and he felt uncomfortable with it.

“Are you trying to be an action star? Well, you don't look good at it.” Rei said straight to his face which made him frowned more.

His head was aching so badly and his sister was scolding him for growing unwanted hair on his face.

“Mimi please.” He whined. “My head is about to explode and I don't feel good.”

She just chuckled and shook her head slightly.

“Too much alcohol again.” she whispered and slid the medicine on the counter towards him with a glass of water.

“Breakfast ready.” She announced. “Do you want to eat her or at the dinning room? The guys are still asleep so you will probably eat alone.”

“I will try to wake dolphin.” Saki said and left.

“You won’t eat with me?” Jae asked Rei who then placed a plate in front of the guy who was suffering from a hangover in front of her.

“I will wait for Yoo-chi to wake up.” She answered casually but Jae suddenly acted like a child, making her laughed.

“You don't want to join me in eating now that you have that devil with you.”

“Oppa!”

“It’s okay.” He nodded, trying to make her guilty but Rei wasn’t buying his drama at all. “Even Saki is so busy with that sea creature. I’m actually used to having meals all by my self since you are all busy with all of your guys.”

“Husband.” Rei corrected. “Yoo-chi is my husband and that sea creature is Saki’s soon to be husband. Well, if she doesn’t change her mind.”

“She won’t change her mind.” Junsu suddenly said behind them. Saki was just about to wake him up but they met at the stair and decided to have their breakfast. He was so sure about it. Saki just giggled and hugged his waist.

“Oppa is getting dramatic once again. PMS?” she laughed.

“Yah right. You started to forget about me when you met those creatures.” He hissed.

“Those creatures are your friend hyung and soon to be family.” Junsu said. He understood that Jaejoong was just missing his girl and he was channeling his frustration towards them.

Jaejoong didn’t mind him as if he didn’t hear anything and focused his attention to the omelet in front of him. He took a bite and felt satisfied with the taste. He secretly admitted that it was better than his cooking.

“Mimi, your omelet is getting better and better.” He complimented and Rei just smiled.

“I didn’t cook it Oppa. Mi Young did.” She said at the same time Jaejoong choked. She immediately took a glass of water and gave it to him and patted his back.

“She cooked this food?” He said after he recovered from the news that seemed to shock every nerves on his body. He reacted like Mi Young did a very serious crime and everyone was taken aback.

 “Yah.” Rei started to worry. Mi Young had told her about Jaejoong’s rules around the house. She didn’t take it seriously at first but seeing her Oppa in that state, she suddenly wanted to step back. Even Saki, she never expected that Jae was really that serious when he told her about those rules.

“Where is she? I told her not to cook anything!” he yelled.

“She’s outside, in the garden.” Rei whispered. His yells and the atmosphere were so familiar that she wanted to tear up.

“Call him.” He commanded like a king and totally forgot about the omelet even if it tasted good. He didn’t like anyone breaking his rules. He was so annoyed that even Junsu couldn’t even utter a single word. Rei and Saki immediately followed like kids, afraid to be scolded.

A minute passed and the girls arrived together with Mi Young whose head was bowed down and she kept on crumpling her uniform and slowly tearing it apart. She couldn’t look up to face his anger. Rei and Saki told her about his sudden outburst and they even said sorry making her cook breakfast.

“S-sir.” She stumbled even to her words. Her knees were shaking like crazy and sweat begun to form on her forehead.

“You cook breakfast.” He accused and she answered with a nod.

“How many times do I have to tell you that you are not allowed to cook?” he hissed.

“Oppa, it’s not a big deal!” Rei tried to defend Mi Young but she was cut immediately.

“I’m not talking to you.” he said so Rei shut up.

“I-I’m sorry…” she sniffed, fighting the tears that were about to fall. It was like she committed a huge crime and Jaejoong was far from letting it all off.

“First you entered my room and I let you get away with it.” Jae started again. He was angry and he didn’t care if everyone was watching him scold his maid. He wanted her to learn her lesson even in the most humiliating way.

“You stole and cook for Changmin without my permission. I let you get away with it once again and then you did it again. Are you trying to piss me off?”

“N-no…” she shook her head nervously. “ I… I was just...”

“I don't need your explanation.” He also cut her up.

Yunho together with Changmin and Yoochun went down. Jae’s loud voice woke them up. Changmin was still yawning when they saw what was happening.

Hot tears suddenly ruled Mi Young’s eyes when she saw Changmin coming. Another round of humiliation was added to her back. Being scolded in front of him was never on her list.

“What’s happening?” Yunho asked and eyed each and everyone in that place. But even if he was the leader, he failed to stop Jaejoong from his rage.

“Oppa.” It was Saki’s turn to defend Mi Young. “We asked her to cook breakfast. She refused but we insisted. If you’re gonna punish him for breaking your rule then I think it’s just right to punish us with her.”

Rei nodded in agreement. The scene was indeed very familiar to her. It was the same attitude Jaejoong gave to her when she first arrived. And seeing Mi Young being placed in the situation she was in years ago can’t help but bring nostalgia to her.

“I think you’re being shallow.” Saki added. “You are scolding her like she placed some poison on your food. You hated her so much Oppa but she’s not doing anything.”

“Saki, I’m not talking to you.” Jae yelled but Saki didn’t step back.  Jae was being unreasonable and she couldn’t allow his anger swallow him and Mi Young alive.

“Oppa, why don't you listen to us?” Rei said. “It’s not her fault.”

Jaejoong then faced Mi Young, ignoring Rei’s plead.

“Are you really that dumb not to understand simple rules and instructions?” his voice turned calm but still sharp. Mi Young just stood and looked down, accepting every word that was coming out from Jae’s mouth.

“Hyung.” Knowing her situation, Changmin joined it.

“Changmin, don't start. Don’t even try to defend her.” He warned.

“Mi Young!” He yelled and she jumped in surprised. “Can’t you hear me? I’m asking you!”

“I…I…” she mumbled, unable to find her words. She looked at Changmin and saw the worry written all over his face.

“Where’s your brain? You are one stupid maid! Even a high school student will surely understand those simple rules! If you cannot follow them then you better leave this house and look for another job!”

“Hyung!” Changmin yelled which surprised everyone. Jaejoong crossed the line and he will not sit back and watch her friend being suppressed by his anger.

“Changmin.” Yunho held his arm, signaling him to stop and never cross on Jae but he just ignored him.

“Mi Young, go to your room now.” He said.

“No stay here.” Jae hissed.

Mi Young was then confused and didn’t know who to follow.

“I said go to your room now!”

With Changmin’s sudden raise of voice, she didn’t wait for Jae and immediately run to her room and locked herself in.

Then Changmin faced his super angry hyung.

“If you are angry because Naomi Noona forgot your birthday, don't include Mi Young on your wrath.” Changmin tried to sound respectful towards him. He tried to understand. He knew that Jae was having difficulty on his relationship but he was being unfair and that, he couldn’t tolerate.

Jae stood and angrily pointed at him upon hearing Kiyomi’s name.

“Don't you dare include her here.” He warned but Changmin just chuckled.

“You know for a fact that everything has something to do with her.  Mi Young had nothing to do with you. She’d doing her job perfectly but you just kept on torturing her. You are frustrated and hurt. We understand that but please, don't include someone who had nothing to do with what is happening to you now. You once allowed her to cook and now you are acting strange again. Hyung, enough!” he said and nobody uttered a single word. Silence then ruled the air.

“Changmin, stop this stupidity now. You are defending her too much. Why? Is it because you’re dating her?” Jae said sarcastically and everyone eyed the maknae with so many questions in their eyes.

“Yes I’m dating her.” He bravely said. “But you are the one that is stupid.”

The guys widened their eyes in disbelief. Changmin just called his hyung, Kim Jaejoong stupid. Something he had never done before.

“You know that she barely finish grade school and you still humiliated her. Maybe she couldn’t read or write like we do but she’s not stupid.”

“What?” Saki blurted out. She couldn’t believe what Changmin had said. “She couldn’t read and write?”

“Hyung, Yunho hyung and I need a helper. If you’re going to fire her, I will be more than willing to hire her. Now I know why your girlfriend doesn’t call you.” he smirked. “You’re not even worthy.”

“Changmin!” Yunho yelled but the maknae went out of the house and straight to his car, not minding that he was still in his pajamas. He was angry and he didn’t like that way Jae acted.

 

Jae was left dumbfounded. It was the first time Changmin said those words to him and it stricken him like thunder. He couldn’t believe that he received those words from his maknae. He smiled sadly and said…

“Happy birthday to me.” And went inside is room.

 

 

 

 

**************************************************************

comments... suggestions and violent reactions are loved....

 

 

 

aejae22

 

BY FATE