Tears of Joy [Part 2]

My Kareshi And I.

 

“Attention all students, the ceremony will commence in about an hour. All performers please make your way to the gym for the rehearsal. I repeat, all performers please make your way to the gym for the rehearsal. Thank you.”

 

 

The sound of the school’s principal blasted through the speakers. “Yah, Kai and Ryoko, what are you guys waiting for? Didn’t you hear the announcement?” Your math teacher, Mr Lee tapped his wooden ruler against the whiteboard. The both of you quickly packed your bags, well only you were the one who seemed to be rushing, whereas Kai was taking his own sweet time. “Oppa, palli! We’ll be late!” You hissed at him. He shot you a look before rolling his eyes and headed out. *What is with him today?* You asked yourself.

 

 

Truth be told, Kai was actually nervous. He hasn’t performed in front of a crowd before. He could do a few people but the whole school? *Calm down Kai. You can do this. It’s just one stupid performance. Right?* He breathed in and out to calm down his nerves. You got out from the classroom to see him do breathing exercises by himself. You furrowed your eyebrows. *Just what is he doing?* “Oppa, are you okay? What are you doing?" Kai was startled and he quickly placed his hands in his front pockets. “A-ani. I was…I was waiting for you. Yah, why are you so slow? We’re going to be late because of you.” He said before quickly walking off. “Mwoh?!” You shouted back at him. *Tsk, always finding ways to irritate me.* You blew your fringe away from your face before running up to him.

 

 

 

The gym was packed with students and teachers who were in charge of the performance. The two of you spotted the others and joined them. “Yah, have you given your CD for the performance?” Lay asked. “Oh right the CD! Thanks for reminding me.” Kai left the group and headed to Mr Kim, the audio and tech in-charge for the ceremony. Just then, the principal stood on the stage with a microphone in his hand. “Attention students, the rehearsal is about to begin. Please be at your respective places.” Students and teachers started to work even faster. “Yah Ryoko, let’s go backstage. You brought your outfit right?” Suho asked. You nodded and quickly followed the rest backstage and into the dressing rooms.

 

 

Since you had two performances, you’ve picked out two outfits. *Okay, the first performance is with Kai oppa. So that means I’m using this one.*

 

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiYVvDV-ITAzBL-zyx1shI47jSC6aN8MLRfSMnOc7BI7a3WrFQpQ

 

You took your dress and was about to head into once of the changing rooms when you heard someone calling your name. You turned around and a smile formed on your face when you saw Hae Ra standing behind you. “Are you ready for your performance?” She asked you with a cheery smile. You nodded and showed her your dress. Her eyes sparkled. “Wow, Ryoko ah. This is beautiful. You’re going to stand out the most later on.” You smiled. “I don’t know. I’m kind of nervous actually.” Hae Ra patted your back. “Don’t worry, if anything happens, I’ll still support you.” She pumped up her fist in the air and whispered ‘Hwaiting’. You smiled. *Actually, I’m worried I might mess up and cause Kai oppa to yell at me.* “Oh Ryoko ah, I have to go and help Mr Kim now. Good luck for your performance! I’ll be cheering for you!”

 

 

Hae Ra gave you a light hug and disappeared down the hallway. You sighed. *Well, at least I feel a little bit better now.* Turns out, that feeling only lasted for ten minutes before finding out that you and Kai were to perform first. “I picked you guys to be the opening act for the ceremony!” Greg said. Instead of his usual sweatpants and beanie, he was wearing a black suit and he actually combed his hair. “But Greg, why didn’t you tell-“ Kai whined but Greg cut him off. “Because I have faith in the both of you.” “Hey, we heard that.” Xiu Min called out from the back. Him, Lay and Sehun were behind the three of you. Greg let out a nervous laugh, “Hey now, I have faith in all of you. It’s just that I think their performance is perfect for the opening.” Xiu Min shrugged, “Yeah yeah whatever Greg.”

 

 

Greg took one last look at both you and Kai. “You guys are going to do great, trust me. Now go get ready.” He said before going back to his seat in front of the stage. Kai sighed in frustration and ruffled his hair. You patted his shoulders. “Come on oppa. It can’t be that bad right?” You tried to lift up the atmosphere. Kai just sighed and walked away. You cocked your head to the side. *I thought Kai oppa wouldn’t get so nervous. Guess behind that tough facade there was a hint of softness too.* You giggled and proceeded backstage to where you’ll be entering. Kai was at the other end of the stage. You saw him jumping up and down to calm himself.

 

 

“Kai oppa!” You said as softly as you can but at the same time loud enough for him to hear. He stopped jumping and raised his eyebrows. *What is she doing? The audience might hear her.* Once you got his attention. You showed him a thumbs up sign. "Oppa hwaiting! We can do it!” “Yah Ryoko, what are you doing? Keep quiet will you? It’s about to start.” Mr Kim scolded you. You quickly bowed. “M-mianhe…” You looked back to see Kai smiling at you. Kai tried his best to stifle  his laughter. *That Ryoko, always knows how to amuse me, cute.* You smiled seeing him. *Well, at least oppa’s more relaxed now.*

 

 

The rehearsal was basically just telling the performers on where they’re supposed to enter and exit from and to do a sound check on the CDs they’re using. Soon, the real ceremony was about to begin. “Ladies and gentlemen, teachers and students, welcome to the SSFA 50th Anniversary Ceremony. Outside, you could hear the applause of the audience and gulped. *Wow, sounds like the whole school really is watching.* Without noticing, you started to bite your nail. Kai, who was at the other end, saw how worried you look. *I can tell she’s getting nervous right now. Maybe I should go there and-* Before he even could, someone already beat him to it.

 

 

“Your nails are not going to be pretty if you keep doing that.” You turned and relaxed after hearing that familiar voice. “Oppa, what are you doing here?” Chanyeol slowly walked up towards you. He was already in his outfit for the performance and you can’t help but think he looks really charming. His messy hair was also combed back which is a rare sight for you. Chanyeol chuckled and patted your back. “I’ve always wanted to see you dance. So I wanted to take a closer look. I’ve heard from Kai that you’re a great dancer.” You let out a nervous laugh. *Wow, somehow that makes me even more nervous.*  “Thanks oppa. But I’m actually quite nervous right now.” You breathed out. Chanyeol noticed that some worry lines were starting to appear on your forehead, so without thinking, he pulled you close and kissed your forehead. “Hey, I’m sure you’ll do great. You always do. Besides, we’re all here cheering for you.” Instead of being embarrassed about his actions, you actually started to feel better.

 

 

“You know what, I’m going to nail this performance.” Chanyeol grinned and was about to ruffle your hair but stopped. “I shouldn’t mess up your hair now should I? Anyway, hwaiting!” Chanyeol gave you one last hug and went back to Kris and Tao, who also wanted to see your performance. *Okay Ryoko, you can do this.* You reassured yourself. Just then, you heard the emcee announcing your names. “First up, a dance presented by the talented freshmen of SSFA, Kai and Ryoko. The lights went off, and both you and Kai went out to the spotlight.


“Ryoko ah! You were amazing!” Hae Ra embraced you in a tight hug. “T-thanks Hae Ra ah but, I c-can’t breathe!” She quickly let go of you and a blush formed on your face. Kai could only stand beside you and roll his eyes. *Why is she here? I wanted to be with her alone.* Just then, his wish was granted. “Hae Ra, listen, I have another performance to get ready for. I’ll meet you again once I’m done okay?” Hae Ra nodded and disappeared backstage to help Mr Kim again. You sighed and smiled. *Thank God everything went well.* Right then you heard Kai clearing his throat. *Oh right, he’s still here.* You turned and put out your hand. “You did great oppa. Finally, you’re done with the performance!”

 

 

Kai looked at your hand. *She wants to…shake hands? That’s it.* He grabbed your hand and pulled you into a hug. Your eyes widened at the sudden skinship and you felt yourself blushing. “O-oppa, what’s wrong?” You felt Kai breath in against your head. “Nothing. I just…wanted to do this that’s all. You did great Ryoko ah. I’m proud.” You smiled against his chest and returned the hug. “We did great oppa. We.” The two of you broke the hug. Kai suddenly leaned forward and planted a kiss on your cheek. He ruffled your hair and disappeared into the dressing rooms. You just stood there, frozen. *K-kiss?! Why are the guys giving me kisses so suddenly?!* “Ryoko ah is that you? What are you waiting for? Our performance is coming up soon!” Baekhyun called out to you. Before you could say anything, he pushed you into the dressing room and closed the door.

 

 

Baekhyun stared at the closed door and sighed. *Looks like I’m not the only one.* He thought to himself. *First it was Chanyeol, and now Kai. I wonder if the others have the same feelings towards her. I wonder if she has any feelings for any of us.*

 

 

A few minutes later, it was your time to perform with Baekhyun. The curtains were closed and the both of you stood at the center of the stage. Again, that feeling of nervousness was back. *And I thought dancing in front of a crowd was nerve-wrecking.* You thought to yourself. Baekhyun glanced at you and saw how your knuckles were turning white from gripping the microphone to hard. Since it was dark and nobody could see, he took your other hand in his and gave it a reassuring squeeze. You jumped a little at the gesture. *Holding hands isn’t helping at all! It’s making me even more nervous!* You tried to take deep breaths. It was then you heard the emcee’s voice. “Now, a special duet from SSFA’s freshman Ryoko, and SSFA’s junior, Baekhyun!” The curtains started to slowly open and a spotlight was shown at the both of you. Lucky for you, because of the blinding light, you couldn’t see the audience and you started to relax. And then the music starts and the both of you started singing.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIbaOPIQNto&feature=related

 

 

At that moment, you felt like, you could do anything. It was only you and Baekhyun. You had forgotten about everything. Forgotten about the audience sitting in front of you, admiring your performance, forgotten that you were still holding hands with Baekhyun, forgotten about the fact that you were leaving Korea the next day. At that moment, you felt like you were truly alive.

 

 

 


 

[A/N] Hahah okay sorry for this ty chapter. I want to make it sound like it was the best performance ever, or something like that, but I didn't know how to put it in words. And yay! I've finally got a good internet connection! Now I can update more often, well, depends on whether I have any ideas for the next few chapters hehehe. Anyway, it's good to be back ;)