United

The Heartbreaker's Game

No One’s POV

Suho shook his head and clenched his fist tightly when he saw that Kai was flirting with someone that he shouldn’t flirt with. Why did he always have problems with Kai?! Disgusted, he walked off to a corner to contact him through the watch. “Pick up, you stupid person,” he muttered.

Kris smirked as he watched Suho’s frustration. Kai was getting distracted as usual and Lu Han always had his eyes on the prize. Kris’ only critic was that Lu Han seemed to be getting a little bit too attached to her. As he watched Lu Han gently caressing a sleeping Eun Hae, he was scared that Lu Han might get distracted for the first time — getting distracted with something that was never allowed.

“Lu Han, what the hell are you doing?” he muttered darkly under his breath as Lu Han was now holding Eun Hae tightly in his arms. “You idiot. What’s so special about that human girl?”

Finally, Kai picked up and his face appeared on the screen. He seemed really nervous when he saw Suho’s furious face. “Hyung, can’t I at least have some fun?” he asked. “I mean, the rules said I can’t sleep with other girls but they never mentioned anything about dating them, right?”

“You go back and tell her you can’t go on a date with her no matter what and tell her that you’re in love with Eun Hae,” Suho growled.

“But I’m not in love with her!”

“You’re not supposed to!” Suho fumed, running a hand through his hair. “You’re supposed to make her fall in love with you! What happened to that? You were ahead, you know! You were actually on top! And now you’re at the bottom and Lu Han is winning. Do you seriously want to lose the Game, lose Exo-K’s pride and not win the Game for the sixth time in a row?! Are you even part of the team or not?”

“You sound as though you think I don’t have a plan.”

“So what is your plan?”

Kai smirked. “Easy. I’m only doing this because I’m trying to make Eun Hae confused and jealous. I went on a date with Eun Hae. I flirted with her. I kissed her. She should think that I have some feelings for her.”

Suho rolled his eyes. “And what’s this got to do with her best friend?” he asked, fairly annoyed.

“Exactly,” Kai replied. “I’m going to date her best friend. She’s going to wonder why I am dating her best friend after everything I’d done to her and she’s going to get jealous and realize that she’s falling for me.”

Suho gaped at him. He didn’t know whether to laugh at his ingenious plan or cry at his stupidity. “There are only two results for this tactic, you know,” he said once he found his voice. “You either win, and Eun Hae will be crazily jealous and fall in love with you, along with ruining her friendship with that girl. Or she’s not going to mind if she’s already fallen for Lu Han.”

“She hasn’t,” Kai said confidently. “At least, for now, she’s confused about whom she likes more and such.”

“How sure are you on that?”

“Well, if she was already smitten with Lu Han, Eun Hae wouldn’t have agreed to go on a date with me, now, would she?” Kai shot back.

“I really, really hope you’re right.”

“So does this mean I can go on a date with Daeseul?”

Suho sighed. “Just make sure you know what your intentions in going out with her are,” Suho replied and they hung up. He went back to Kris who was frowning thoughtfully at the screen. He watched and saw how sweet Lu Han is being. He turned back to Kris and smirked, knowing what was upsetting the other leader.

Looks like he wasn’t the only one having problems with his representatives.

 

Meanwhile, the other members of Exo soon lost interest in the Game and headed back to the Play Room (where all Xbox, PlayStation, Wii games) to play video games and to just have fun. There were many bags of opened potato chips lying around in the room with empty soda cans as well as the boys took time off to have fun while their leaders were too busy with watching the Game.

“Take that!” Chanyeol cried out gleefully as he and Tao played a fighting match on the Xbox. He had given Tao’s character a punch.

“Yeah! Give him a punch!” Chen encouraged Chanyeol, pumping his fist into the air. “Go, hyung!”

“Tao hyung, you can do this!” Sehun cheered for the other boy. “Burn Chanyeol hyung’s pride! . . . Although he can literally burn you.”

“Thanks for the encouragement,” Tao scoffed.

Confusion flittered across Sehun’s face. “Uh, you’re welcome!” he beamed and Tao just laughed at his naivety.

“Pabo,” Chanyeol remarked. “Ooh! Yes! That gotta hurt!” he exclaimed while Tao groaned.

“I’m not stupid!” Sehun spoke up indignantly. “In fact, I’m the opposite of stupid! What’s the opposite of stupid?”

“Definitely not Sehun,” Chen joked and everyone burst out laughing.

Now, if you looked across the room at the other end . . .

“Nooo! I’m not going to let you win!” D.O cried, pressing on the buttons of the controller to the PlayStation furiously.

XiuMin cackled evilly, making his car on the screen to go faster, distancing the gap between the two cars.

“Come on, XiuMin hyung, kick D.O’s !” Baekhyun urged, his hands into a fist in excitement.

“D.O will definitely beat him for sure!” Lay cried. “Slam against his car once you’ve caught up with him!”

“Since when was the unicorn so violent?” Baekhyun teased.

“When it comes to beating XiuMin gege in things,” Lay replied earnestly and they slapped high-fives.

“Yah!” XiuMin cried, keeping his eyes on the screen. “That was uncalled for. I am older than you. You shouldn’t be — mmph!”

D.O stuffed a bun in his mouth, one hand still on the controller.

The cleaning Minions came into the room for the daily cleaning routine but froze in shock when they all saw that both Exo-M and Exo-K were getting along in the Play Room. They exchanged glances.

“Should we tell the leaders?” Minion 345 asked.

Minion 42 shook its head. “It’s about time they all get along,” it replied. “Besides, telling the leaders will just cause another century of squabbling and fighting. I don’t know about you but I am getting tired of Kris and Suho bickering among each other.”

Minion 99 nodded with agreement. “Maybe their friends could teach them a thing or two about getting along with each other.”

“In the meantime,” Minion 42 spoke up and the other two turned to it. “We should leave them alone. Let them all have their fun. Besides, no point cleaning this mess up when they are only going to dirty it again.”

And with that, the three Minions left the room, smiling as they heard the happy cheers of Exo getting along.

 

Kai’s POV

That was close. Suho bought my lie.

I have to thank my quick thinking for getting out of trouble. I shook my head as I went back to Daeseul. I looked at her. I didn’t ask her out on a date because I wanted to make Eun Hae jealous. I asked her out because I wanted to go out with her. I wanted to just, for once, not think about the Game and enjoy what normal humans (or aliens, in my case) do to enjoy themselves.

Daeseul looked at me as soon as I slid back into the booth. She raised an eyebrow. “Are you okay?” she asked. “You looked really worried earlier when you excused yourself to answer a call.”

“I’m fine. My mom called. I was scared that it has to do with my sick grandfather,” I lied effortlessly.

“Oh, what happened?”

I shrugged. “He’s been sick for very long, you know, because of old age. I am very close to my grandfather so I was worried.” Honestly, I don’t think I’ve even met my grandfather, be it on my mother’s side or my dad’s side. I was whisked away to SM Building the moment I turned sixteen and normally I don’t go out to meet any of my family members. I actually don’t want to, to be honest. Never did like them.

“Is he okay?” Daeseul asked.

I nodded. “Luckily he’s fine. My mother just told me that he’s still alive and well, and in fact, he’s very healthy. It looks like he’s going to live longer than expected.” I pretended to be happy about this.

I should get an award for acting.

I managed to fool Suho, who has known me the longest and better than anyone, and I had managed to fool Daeseul, who was fast and was able to pick up on things.

 

Daehyun’s POV

I walked back to the dorm, dejected. Youngjae was silent as well as he walked beside me. I sighed, looking up to the sky and saw that the clouds were darkening. It means it’s going to rain soon.

“The sky’s crying with us.” Youngjae muttered depressingly.

I couldn’t agree more.

By the time we reached back to our apartment, Yongguk looked up. “Where the hell had you two been?” he demanded to know. “I came inside to find you guys gone! No notes or anything to let me know where you were!”

Himchan came out of the kitchen with a drink in his hand. “Why do you guys look so depressed?” he wanted to know. “Who died?”

I rolled my eyes and trudged upstairs to the room. Youngjae went to the fridge to get a drink before he came up to us.

We lied down in our beds and looked up sullenly to the ceiling. We looked at each other and wordlessly looked back up.

Knock, knock.

“What?” Youngjae muttered.

The door was pushed opened Jongup and Zelo entered the room. We sat up in our beds and they came over, with Zelo making sure he’d locked the door before he came to sit on the edge.

“You guys went to see Eun Hae?” Jongup asked.

“How did you know?” I frowned.

“I was skateboarding down the streets when I saw you walking into the direction of Eun Hae’s apartment,” Zelo explained.

“You know where she lives?” Youngjae asked him.

He nodded as all heads turned toward his direction. “I had to make sure that I know she’s safe,” he pointed out and then we all remembered that he always looked up to her. Zelo really cared for her.

“Well, she didn’t want to talk to us,” Youngjae sighed. He looked at me sympathetically. “She hates us.”

“She hates me more,” I whispered.

“That’s not true!” Jongup defended.

“You know what?” Zelo piped up and we all turned to look at the maknae. “I don’t know why but lately the hyungs have been making me mad at them. I hate looking at Eun Hae Noona’s face and feel guilty for what I’d done to her.”

We all nodded.

“We’ve got to do something,” Jongup spoke up.

“And we’re not going to stop until we’ve talked to her,” Youngjae agreed. “Whether or not she still consider us as her brothers, that will be up to her. Just as long as we don’t sit in the back anymore.”