Setting the Game

The Heartbreaker's Game

Kris and Suho sneered the moment they saw each other. There was no mistake about what they felt toward one another. Their hate for each other ran so deep that no one even remembered when it started — or even how and why they started to hate each other. It was eons ago.

“So, are you ready to lose again?” Suho taunted Kris. “Exo-K has been winning for the past five Games.”

Kris shrugged, not at all bothered by his jeers. “Please, even if you guys have been winning five years in a row, we’re still tied,” he replied.

Suho raised an eyebrow, smirking. “So you wouldn’t be disappointed when we win for the sixth time in a row,” he came back smoothly.

Kris rolled his eyes. “Can we decide on the country now and get the Game ready? I’ve been bored out of my mind for the past 364 days while waiting for this day to come,” he replied in a bored tone.

They switched the computer on and began to scan through the world map, wondering which country should be the arena this year.

“Last year we held the Game in Phillipines,” Kris mused thoughtfully, tapping his chin. “Which means this year, we’re still holding the Games in Asia.”

Suho shrugged. “Well, then, how about China?”

“We did the whole of China already. How about Malaysia?”

“We did Malaysia too.”

They looked at the map. “How about Seoul, Korea?” they both said together in perfect unison. They exchanged looks, a frown coming upon their handsome faces.

“That’s the only time we’re agreeing with each other,” Kris said.

“Who’s agreeing?” Suho scoffed.

“So Seoul it is,” Kris went on, ignoring him. He began to type in the information for the 71st Game.

“Who said you can type it out?!”

“Says me.”

“You had your turn last year!”

“Oh, grow up, Suho. I’ll let you choose your representative first, you baby.” Kris sighed, shaking his head with disdain. What a big baby.

Suho grimaced but made his way over to a glass bowl where it was filled with the five members’ names from Exo-K. There were only five pieces of papers. The same goes for Exo-M’s bowl of names. As Suho dipped his hand into the bowl, his fingers played around with the papers. He shut his eyes. Give me a good one.

He grasped a piece of paper and drew it out.

Then it was Kris’s turn to draw out a representative’s name from Exo-M’s bowl. He just dipped his hand in and pulled out a slip of paper without bothering to choose. He turned to Suho.

“One,” he said.

“Two,” Suho continued.

“Three!” they said together and opened the paper, showing it out to one another so they would know who the chosen representatives were.

On Suho’s paper, written in bold ink was the name Kai.

And on Kris’s paper, the name Lu Han was written clearly in a neat handwriting.

The representatives have been chosen.

They regarded each other. Kris’s mouth twitched, forming a smile, not being able to resist the temptation to brag about his chosen representative. He knew it would only irk Suho even more than ever. “Lu Han is so good-looking, he’ll have girls fall for him in no time,” he boasted.

Suho rolled his eyes. He held up his hand, a comeback forming in his mind. “Please, Kai got the charms. He knows how to flirt with girls,” he replied evenly. “Besides, Lu Han is more like a pretty-girl.”

Kris narrowed his eyes. “Oh yeah?” he shot back. “Kai’s lips looked they have been stung by a bee.”

“Looks aren’t everything.”

He arched an eyebrow. “Well said,” he replied.

Suho realized he just helped Kris with a comeback. “Oh, shut up,” he snapped grudgingly. He looked at the clock. “Anyway, shouldn’t we choose the girl first before we tell them who the chosen representatives are?”

Kris shrugged. “The poor guys are probably fidgeting right now in their seats, wondering who had been chosen,” he replied. “But sure, go ahead. You can choose first again, that way you won’t have any complains.” He gestured back toward the computer almost in a sneering way.

Suho glowered at him, not liking the fact that Kris was treating him like a little child. “You can go ahead,” he muttered. “I’ll just go first next year then.”

Kris shrugged. “Suit yourself, then.” But he went ahead and scanned the list of girls’ name from Seoul, Korea. He wanted someone who Lu Han can easily get — but not too easy. He always wanted her to be a bit of a challenge for Lu Han. From the list of statistics, unfortunately, there weren’t much to choose from. He didn’t want to choose es either because that was just cheating. He likes to play fair and square. Finally he came across a girl’s name. She was pretty and from the statistics the computer data files had of her, she was a good student, though average in her studies, she lived alone, and was sort of desperate for a boyfriend.

Lu Han could match up.

He shrugged, clicking her name to put her in the Chosen Files of Exo-M. Cheating? What cheating?

He stood up and turned to Suho. “Your turn,” he told him. “My girl is absolutely perfect for Lu Han.”

Scoffing, Suho took control of the computer and was almost instantly done within the first few seconds. Suspicion aroused in Kris and he turned to him. “You better have not chosen a e for Kai,” he said.

He shrugged. “We’re allowed to choose whoever we want to choose,” he replied. “There was no specific rule about what kind of girls they have to get.”

“But that’s cheating!” he protested, ignoring the fact that choosing a girl who was desperate for a boyfriend was sort of cheating too. “You can’t choose a e for Kai! That’s the only reason why Chanyeol won last year! Because she was all too-willing to sleep with him for money!”

“And looks.”

“Money!”

“Kris —”

“Change!”

Suho sighed. “Goodness, you’re so petty,” he grumbled. He went back to the computer and scanned through the list of girls’ name. Finally, he selected one and clicked on her name. “Done, happy?”

Kris wasn’t satisfied. “What’s her statistics?” he wanted to know. “She better be like an ordinary girl. That way it’s even and fair.”

Suho rolled his eyes. This guy sometimes can be too much, he thought. “Average student, yada, yada, yada, just an ordinary schoolgirl, which I’m sure you have chosen someone like that for Lu Han as well.” He started to head back to where the other Exo-K’s members were waiting for news.

He nodded, satisfied. “All right. You have two days to train your representative. And remember, you’re not allowed to tell them who Exo-K’s representative is,” he told him to his back.

Suho shrugged. “Yeah, yeah,” he replied, waving a hand offhandedly in a I-don’t-care manner.

Kris scowled and turned back to his own members. They looked up when he entered the room.

“So, dui zhang, who was chosen to play this year?” XiuMin asked, stuffing a bun into his mouth.

“Baozi, your face is going to explode if you stuff anymore buns into those fat cheeks of yours,” Chen remarked.

XiuMin glowered at him and stuffed another bun into his mouth, making his cheeks puff out like a chipmunk. “Bime punkry,” he said through a mouthful.

“Whaaaa?” Tao asked, tilting his head in confusion

“I’m hungry,” Chen translated.

“Oh.”

“You’re always hungry,” Lay muttered. “It’s a wonder you’re not even fat yet.”

“Agree,” the others all nodded.

Kris closed his eyes for awhile while they bicker. “The representatives have been chosen from both sides; the city and the girl have also been chosen.” He looked at Lu Han. “Congratulations, Lu Han. You’re going to Seoul,” he told him. “May the heartbreak be ever in your favour.”

Everyone clapped for Lu Han who blushed and glowed with happiness. He was hoping he would get picked and he did. The thought of playing with a girl again after quite some time instead of watching his friends do the job for him elated him. In fact, he was looking forward to it.

I wonder how I should play with the girl this year? He rubbed his palms together, smiling to himself as he pondered over his game plan.

Kris patted his back. “Don’t disappoint me.” He stood up and everyone stood up as well. “Let’s go back. Lu Han have stuff to pack and train.” He walked out of the room and everyone else followed suit.

“Wait!” XiuMin cried out, grabbing another bun before dashing out behind them.

 

Suho went back to Exo-K’s hall where the guys were all fidgeting nervously. When Suho came in, Sehun jumped to his feet. “Was it me? Can I go down to Planet Earth this year?” he asked eagerly.

“Sit down, you bastard,” Kai replied, annoyed. Sehun had been pestering him the moment Suho left the room and the maknae was wearing his patience thin. If he continued, he will snap and Sehun would wish he had never been born. Now, that thought amused him greatly.

“Is it me?” Chanyeol asked, another bastard.

Baekhyun, the quiet and peace-maker, hoped it wasn’t him. Out of everyone, he was the one who enjoyed the Game the least.

“Do I get to destruct another one this year again?” D.O asked his hyung.

Suho’s laser eyes glowered at him and he shrank back in his seat, knowing what was coming. “I’m lucky that, after you failing to pay attention to what you were supposed to do last year by running around like an idiot, watching movies after movies when you were supposed to look for your girl, you have not been chosen this year,” he snapped. “Anyway, Kai has been chosen.”

Baekhyun sighed with relief, D.O shrugged, Sehun and Chanyeol began complaining and muttered, “Lucky bastard,” to Kai while Kai’s heart skipped a beat.

He’s up.

Suho studied him. He was a bit worried about this one. Because he was just like D.O except he wasn’t that distracted. He did have his share of wins sometimes. But mostly, he ran here and there flirting with random girls and not bothered in finding the actual chosen girl. “Kai, I know you’re excited to see girls again, but please, do try to focus on the one you’re looking for.”

Kai shrugged. “My can’t make promises, hyung.”

Suho glared at him. “Well train it to make promises for these two days you have,” he snapped back dangerously. “We need to win. If we win, we win for the sixth time in a roll, which means we will be ahead of Exo-M by one point. And that would shut big-head Kris up.”

“You mean, you need to win,” Chanyeol muttered. He was lucky Suho didn’t hear him otherwise he’d be mincemeat by now.

Suho stood up and everyone else followed. “Come on, that’s enough excitement for this morning. We need to prepare Kai for his mission.”

Everyone nodded and stood up, patting Kai on the back.

“Kai, may the heartbreak be ever in your favour.”