Back at the Choi's House

The Heartbreaker's Game

Eun Hae’s POV

I followed Aunty Yu Jun inside the house with Changjo following in behind me, closing the door behind me and we kicked off our shoes and set them neatly side-by-side on the shoe rack near the door.

I looked around the familiar hall. It’s been quite a long time since I’ve stepped inside this place. Well, a year, actually. I remembered so many memories here in this house with Changjo and his family. They were my family and still are. They are the only family I know I can count on. They took such good care of me when I couldn’t handle myself. But there was a time when I knew I couldn’t rely on them so much anymore.

So last year, the moment I turned seventeen, I went to look for a job. I found the job at the cafe and began working there. When I had earned enough to last for quite some time, I was able to afford my own apartment and then I moved out. I didn’t want to be a burden on my aunty and uncle anymore.

Aunty Yu Jun walked into the living room and Changjo headed for the stairs. I hesitated, not sure where I should go.

Changjo noticed my dilemma and squeezed my hand gently in reassurance. “I have to go up, change out of my uniform and put my bag down,” he said. “You go and talk to my mom. I’ll try to come down as fast as I can so you won’t be left alone by yourself for a long time, okay?”

I nodded, feeling reassured, and walked into the living room as he walked up the stairs. I found Aunty Yu Jun sitting on the sofa. This felt like the scene on the night my parents threw me away.

But I knew it’s not going to happen now.

I timidly walked over to my aunty, waiting for her to feel guilty for not taking enough care for me and such and I got my arguments ready, ready to say that it wasn’t her fault and that I don’t blame her.

“Jonghyun told me that Bang Yongguk was the reason why you are suspended for two weeks,” Aunty Yu Jun started. It felt weird hearing someone calling Changjo by his real name, but I guess only his mother calls him that. Everyone else know him as Changjo. Even his dad called him Changjo. “Is it true?”

I nodded.

She sighed, shaking her head. “Tsk, that boy is really something. I knew he was bad news when I first saw you with him but I thought he would be okay when I saw that he was treating you nice. And now he constantly bullies you.” She looked at me. “Next time he tries to do anything funny to you, just kick him in the nuts.”

I raised my eyebrows. This wasn’t what I was expecting. Aunty Yu Jun went on about what I should do the next time they try anything on me, giving me all sort of advices of how to handle myself and defend myself.

Now, wait a minute.

I felt like I was missing something.

You know that feeling you get when you missed an episode of your favourite Korean drama and when you watch the next episode, the plot has moved, changed, and you don’t know what’s happening anymore? Yeah, that was what I was feeling as Aunty Yu Jun began ‘teaching’ me how to defend myself.

I was so sure she was going to give me a lecture and everything, and that she would lay the guilt trip (unintentionally, of course; she’s the sweetest thing and used to always think that everything that went wrong was her fault, bless her. Maybe that’s why Changjo thought he was able to get away with a lot of things, if not for the father who was a lot stricter).

“Wait, Aunty Yu Jun,” I said and she stopped talking. “Aren’t you mad at me for getting suspended?”

She scowled. “Oh, I’m mad, all right,” she said and my face fell. “But I’m not mad at you, sweetie. I’m mad at your school for being so stupid for not checking the matter before suspending you. And I’m especially mad at those B.A.P boys who promised to take care of you and left you alone, turning against you.”

“It’s only Himchan and Yongguk who bullies me,” I mumbled awkwardly.

She waved a hand dismissively. “Still, it’s not like the others stepped up to help defend you, right? Especially that Daehyun, gosh, he was always so sweet to you and now he is scared that Yongguk might hurt him if he talks to you.” She shook her head and looked really disappointed.

How on earth does she know so much?

I eyed her suspiciously. “Aunty —”

But she kept talking and rambling on. I sighed and began tuning her out, letting my mind to wander.

It led to Kai.

I wonder why he looked so happy when he saw Daeseul. I closed my eyes and we were at the rooftop again, me and him. My hand reached up to touch my lips, where he had kissed me with his own.

Kai leaned forward and stared into my eyes. His gaze shifted down to my lips. I stopped talking about wondering where Lu Han was when I saw how close our faces were and gulped. He leaned forward a little bit more and pressed his lips against mine.

It was a short kiss, but it meant something. I don’t know what, but when he kissed me, I wanted to kiss him back. But instead I pulled away because Lu Han flashed before my mind and I felt guilty immediately.

Why do I even care about Lu Han?! It’s not like we’re dating! And besides, Kai was so . . . good, defending for you. He didn’t lose his temper with your parents and he came to get you while you were crying! I told myself.

Is it right for him to kiss me and then look so happy when he saw Daeseul? Does he like her? What about me? And does Daeseul like him back? What about Lu Han? I’m still mad at him but I still like him.

But do I like him like that?

Aish, boys, I thought grudgingly. They leave a huge migraine and they don’t even realize what they were doing to you.

Speaking of boys, Changjo finally came down, looking sheepish that it took quite a long time and I saw why: he bathed. I glared at him and he shrugged, sitting down next to me and soon changed the topic to something else, to my uncle’s business and Aunty Yu Jun began to tell us about it.

I shot him a grateful look and he put his arms around me. Maybe, since Aunty Yu Jun was done talking to me, I could spend my dinner with Lu — Kai — Han.

Wait, what the hell?

I looked at the clock. Oh, crap. I have to be somewhere at four o’clock and now it’s already two-thirty. I sighed.

I shook my head. Aunty Yu Jun didn’t notice but I did not fool Changjo. He stared at me quizzically, with an eyebrow raised. I shrugged and smiled, mouthing, “It’s nothing, don’t worry.”

He didn’t believe me. He turned to his mother. “Umma, if you don’t mind, I’m going up to my room. I want Eun Hae to follow me.”

Aunty Yu Jun nodded. “All right. I want to take a nap, anyways. You kids have fun, but please do not make too much noise. You might disturb the neighbours.”

Changjo took my hand and we both walked out of the living room. We walked up the stairs in silence and as soon as we made it to his room, he rounded up on me and I jumped backward, startled by this sudden movement.

“Why aren’t you at work?” he asked.

I should have known he wouldn’t have forgotten about that so easily. “I told you, stuff happened.”

He rolled his eyes. “I know that,” he said impatiently. “But what kind of stuff happened that made you not want to go to work anymore?”

“I was tired,” I lied.

He shook head. “I don’t believe you.”

I sighed and I told him about seeing my parents. Of course I left out the bit where Lu Han butted in and edited some part by saying that they recognized that I was their daughter after some time. He gasped when I told him and didn’t say a word until I was done. He was practically fuming that his aunty and uncle would do something like this to me.

“I cannot believe that they would do something like this to you!” he fumed. “Why couldn’t they have just pretended you didn’t exist?” He looked at me and his eyes grew wide. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that!”

I nodded. “I know,” I said softly.

He hugged me. “Are you okay?” he asked worriedly

“Aish.” I pushed him away. “You care too much about me, did you know that, Changie? It’s sort of suffocating me.” I grimaced.

He frowned, unhappy. “Hey, at least I care about you!” he protested. “Would you rather I be like those stupid B.A.P boys?”

“True,” I admitted.

He patted my head. “Good girl.”

I looked at the clock and realized that it was three-thirty already. “Changie, I have to be somewhere,” I told him. “I’m sorry. I have to go. Bye!” I turned to go but he held my wrist firmly.

“Where are you going?” he asked.

“Nowhere,” I replied. I didn’t want to tell him where I was going. “Look, I’m just going to go buy some stuff and cook dinner for some idiot otherwise he’ll come into my room at midnight begging for a snack.”

He frowned. “What do you mean ‘he’ll come into my room at midnight’? And who is that ‘some idiot’?”

“Oh, you know,” I said, waving a hand. “Because Lu Han lives with me and —” I froze, realizing what I just said.

Changjo doesn’t know Lu Han, let alone the fact that he’s living with me! I inwardly facepalmed myself.

Changjo’s frown deepened. “Who’s Lu Han? And why is he living with you?” he asked in a low voice, trying to contain his anger.

I giggled nervously. “Oh, uh, nobody,” I answered quickly.

My cousin brother shot me a look. “You at lying,” he said bluntly. “You can’t lie to save yourself, Eun Hae. So, who is this Lu Han and why is he living with you?”

“It’s really no one to worry about,” I said and tried to walk out of the door but Changjo was faster.

He was in front of me and I squeaked. He took steps closer to me and I took steps back, further and further away from him, and even further away from the door until my back was against the wall.

I winced as Changjo trapped me in between, his hands on both sides of me.

“I’m going to ask you again,” he said in a low voice, “and I’m only going to ask you this once so you better answer.”

I gulped fearfully.

“Who is Lu Han?” he demanded to know. “And why are you living with him?”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm going to repost until where I've left off. If AFF gets my chapters back, I'll delte the reposts.