They Hurt Me

The Heartbreaker's Game

Eun Hae’s POV

They’re here, outside the door.

Daehyun and Youngjae.

Ding dong!

They would not leave.

Ding dong!

They kept pressing on the doorbell.

I leaned my back against the closed door and took a deep breath. Lu Han was looking worriedly at me. I glared at him. It’s not like he didn’t know who they were and how they looked like. He knew. And he knew that I dislike them. So why did he not chase them away but rather, made me come to see them?

Ding dong!

“I had a feeling they came to apologize to you and hopefully to set things right, that’s why I didn’t chase them away,” he said as if he read my thoughts.

I raised an eyebrow. “So now you’re a mind reader as well as a dream controller?” I asked him bitterly.

He shook his head. “No, it’s just that your face expression wasn’t really that hard to read,” he replied.

I scowled. I'd bet.

“I can read people’s faces pretty well. The closer I am to them, the easier it is for me.” He shrugged. “Well, I’ve gotten closer to you, haven’t I?”

I just looked blankly at him.

Ding dong!

“Are you okay?” he asked, frowning.

I barely heard him. I was just thinking about those two idiots outside the door. My mind began drifting away to a particular memory that made my heart to ache every time I think about it.

 

I was fourteen, already living with B.A.P, before Yongguk and I became an item. I was just sitting on the couch, dead tired from work.

The older boys were out and Jongup and Zelo were already in bed. I was too lazy to move from my spot.

Where are Daehyunnie Oppa and Youngie Oppa? Where are my favourite brothers?

Finally, the front door opened and Daehyun came in. He took one look at my face and he knew I was exhausted. He came over to me and scooped me up gently in his arms. “Come on,” he said lightly, “let’s go to sleep.” He carried me to the bathroom and set me down on my feet. “Go bathe.”

I nodded tiredly and went to bathe. When I came out, wrapped in my towel, I walked to my room. Daehyun was rummaging through my clothes. He handed me a plain shirt and shorts as well as my undergarments. I was that close to him that I didn’t feel shy, neither did he, if he had seen my undergarments. Of course, seeing me only in my undergarment was another story.

He let me have my privacy as I changed into my clothes before I opened the door to let him know that I was done. He came in and helped tucked me in bed. I smiled at him as he sang a sweet lullaby to me to sleep like he did every night.

“Sing me another song,” I told him.

“What song would you like me to sing for you?” he wanted to know.

I pondered over the question for a while before I answered, “CN Blue’s Dream Boy,” I told him. “Please?” I did my best aegyo.

He chuckled, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. “Anything for you,” he replied smoothly and soon he began to sing so sweetly. I smiled, listening to him as he sang. I closed my eyes and smiled even wider. Daehyun was such a good singer.

When he was done, I opened my eyes. He smiled at me and leaned down to kiss me on my forehead. “Eun Hae ah, I love you very much.” He draped the blanket over me, making sure that I was warm for the night.

I giggled. “I love oppa very much too!” I paused and looked at him seriously. “Appa and Umma kicked me out. They don’t love me anymore. I didn’t think I’d have anyone who would love me until I met B.A.P. You guys are my true friends.” My lips began to quiver at the memory and I fought back tears.

Daehyun immediately got under the covers with me and hugged me. “Hey, hey, none of that,” he whispered comfortingly into my ears. “I’m here for you. I’ll always be here for you, arraso?”

“Chincha?”

He nodded. “I promise,” he replied. “No matter what happens, I will always be here by your side, to protect you.”

Just then the door swung opened and Youngjae came into the room. He saw that I had tears in my eyes and was in bed at the other end and hugged me by my waist. I felt reassured, having the two closest guys with me. I was facing Daehyun and he smiled. I felt Youngjae resting his head a little on mine.

“I’m so glad to have you guys around, oppas,” I murmured.

“We’re always going to be here for you, Eun Hae ah,” Youngjae reassured me. “No matter what. We’re your big brothers and we love you so much. Whoever hurt you, we’ll hurt them ten times more.” He kissed my head.

Daehyun nodded. “Big brothers don’t fail their little sister, and they’re supposed to protect her from harm,” he chimed in.

I was glowing with happiness, knowing I could count on the both of them. “Gomawoya, Daehyunnie Oppa! Gomawoya, Youngie Oppa!” I kissed Daehyun on the nose and turned to give Youngjae a peck on the cheeks.

They chuckled softly. As Daehyun moved his hand under my head as a pillow, wrapping his free arm around my head to tuck me under his chin, Youngjae wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me close. I closed my eyes and drifted off to deep slumber, feeling safe and protected in the arms of the two people who I knew would always protect me no matter what.

When I woke up the next morning, both boys were sleeping peacefully. I smiled to myself as I stared into the ceiling.

Daehyun and Youngjae . . . they’ll protect me forever.

 

How wrong I was to believe that foolish thought. Of course, two years later they stood by and did nothing as Himchan and Yongguk discriminated me. They let them hurt me, and they did nothing to stop them, especially when I packed my stuff and went back to live with Changjo again.

From the day I walked out of their house, they stopped talking to me. And that was the start of Yongguk and Himchan’s endless bullying. Daehyun and Youngjae stood by the sidelines, doing absolutely nothing.

They never came after me.

They didn’t protect me like they promised they would.

They weren’t there for me like they said they would.

They left me to fend for myself. If it weren’t for Changjo, I would have killed myself. I was so depressed that I had attempted suicide. If it weren’t for Changjo and my aunt and uncle, I would never have been able to get back up on my feet. If I didn’t meet Daeseul later in life, I would have been pretty lonely.

But they never came back.

And I never sought after them.

 “Eun Hae!”

I looked up to find Lu Han right in front of me. I gasped. He was only, like an inch close to my face. Leaning my head back was no use because my head banged against the door. I looked at him. “What?”

He reached his hand out and cupped my face. Then he wiped my face with his thumbs. It was only then did I realize that I was crying from remembering that now bittersweet memory.

“Gwaenchanhaya?” he asked me.

I nodded but he knew that I was lying, anyway. I sighed. “Look, could you possibly . . . maybe, chase them away?” I asked him with a hopeful look.

He raised an eyebrow. “Don’t you think I would have done that when I first saw them?” he asked back and my face fell. “If not I would have chased them away.” When I opened my mouth to protest, he went on, “Look, just try talking to them. You’ll never know, what if things turn well? You’ll get your friends back.”

“I don’t need them,” I snapped.

“Eun Hae . . .”

“No!” I said furiously, tears falling all over again. “No, I’m not going to talk to them! After all this time, why now? Why do they choose to come after me now? They told me that they would always be there for me, to protect me, to make me happy, but they broke their promise! Why make such promises if they’re only going to break it?!”

“Eun Hae —”

“You know what the worst feeling was? I used to cry every night for the first few weeks, waiting and hoping that they would come back and comfort me. I didn’t want their apologies, I wanted my brothers. But they didn’t! They never did! They let Yongguk and Himchan torture me like hell even up to this day!”

Lu Han came to put his arms around me but I pushed him away.

“But I don’t hate them! I don’t! I still love them! I still love them because they were my brothers!” I cried, sobbing uncontrollably now. “Was it something I’ve done that made them not want to comfort me anymore? Did they truly believe that I was a Yongguk and Himchan said I was? Why wasn’t Daehyun here to sing to me to sleep like he did every night before? Why didn’t Youngjae help me with my work when I was failing like he used to? Why didn’t they hug me and tell me they’re going to hurt those who hurt me like they said they would? Wae?

“I’m sure they have a perfectly good —” Lu Han tried to say.

But I cut him off again. “They were afraid of their hyungs, that’s why! Because they wanted face and cared more about their safety than mine! Because Yongguk and Himchan were intimidating and aggressive! They’re not usually someone you want to mess with. For me? I’ve got no choice because I refused to sleep with them!” I shook my head bitterly. Finally, the feelings I’ve been holding onto were let out.

“Who hurt you the most?” Lu Han asked quietly.

“Daehyun,” I replied and I felt this sharp pain in my chest, like a knife stabbing my heart multiple times. It was like the wind knocking out of me. “He was the closest to me, between him and Youngjae. He was my —” I choked on my words. I closed my eyes and shook my head and tried again. “He was my brother, my protector, the one who could make me laugh. He was the one person who I thought I would be able to always count on for his love and his support. But now he’s . . . nothing more than a stranger.” My voice was now a whisper and I slumped down on the floor tiredly from my outburst.

Lu Han came over to me and hugged me. “Why don’t you go to sleep?” he asked me. “I think you need it.”

I nodded.

Even though I woke up a few hours ago, I was feeling pretty exhausted after my outburst. So I stood up and walked back to my room.

“I’ll be there soon,” he promised and I know he’ll keep that promise.

 

Lu Han’s POV

As soon as I was sure she was in her room, I opened the front door to see both Daehyun and Youngjae standing there, looking terribly upset and guilty with themselves.

“You heard everything?” I asked them even though I knew the answer.

Youngjae nodded. Daehyun was . . . numbed. “I didn’t know that that was how she felt all this time. I am so stupid,” he whispered.

I looked down at my feet and sighed. “Look, maybe you should leave.”

“No,” Daehyun said furiously.

Youngjae nodded in agreement with his friend. “We came to apologize to our sister. We’re not going until we’ve done what we came here for.”

I scoffed. After everything they had done to her, causing so much pain and havoc in her heart, they still have the guts to call her their little sister?

Daehyun studied me. “Who are you to her, anyway?”

“I’m her boyfriend,” I replied evenly and his eyes went wide. “Yes, I live with her. You got a problem with that? Because you shouldn’t, since she’s not any of your concern anymore. You guys failed to make her happy, but I’m not going to fail on that.” I was lying. I was going to eventually fail her. But I’ll make it in a way that I don’t end up betraying her. But what if you don’t want to leave her? I pushed that thought away. I’ll have to leave her one day. I cannot stay with her forever. “You better go before I call the police.”

Daehyun’s eyes were cast down. “Please, take care of my little sister,” he whispered.

Youngjae nodded. “She means the world to us.”

“Well, if she really do mean the world to you, you guys should’ve thought twice about hurting her, right?” I snapped before closing the door in their faces like what Eun Hae did to them earlier.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oooh~ D:

Don't worry, next chapter will be less heartbreaking. (: