Almost

The Heartbreaker's Game

Eun Hae’s POV

We walked out and sat down on the stairs, admiring the cool breeze that swam upon our faces, leaving a tingling and prickly feeling as it grazed on our skin. The sun shone above us, high up proudly in the midst of the clear blue sky, with the fluffy white clouds keeping it company.

We looked around.

“You know, sometimes I forget how beautiful life can be,” he mused more to himself as he looked up to the sky. “It’s so . . . wow. Is there even a word to describe it?”

I nodded. “I forget at times, too,” I agreed. I paused and then grinned sheepishly at him. “Uh, I’m so sorry but, err, what’s your name again?”

He smiled, shrugging as though he wasn’t offended that I had forgotten his name. “It’s Kai,” he replied.

“Kai . . .” Why does that name sound so familiar?

“Bye, Kai Oppa!

I gasped and turned abruptly toward him, the pieces falling together. “Do you, by any chance, know a girl name Nam Daeseul?” I asked him.

He seemed surprised that I mentioned her name. “Do you know her?” He nodded. “We’ve met a couple of times and had gotten to know each other.”

I shook my head. So this is the guy she was trying to set me up with. Okay, in a way, he does remind me of Changjo with his silliness. I nodded. “Yeah, she’s my best friend,” I told him.

“No wonder,” I heard him mutter.

“Sorry?”

He shook his head, smiling. “It’s nothing,” he replied. “Anyway, how did you know that I know her?” he wanted to know curiously.

I waved my hand. “Don’t worry, she didn’t talk about you,” I lied effortlessly. If he knew me better, he would have been able to tell that I was lying. Yeah right, she talks about you every chance she gets just so I could go on a date with you!

“Then how do you know?” He smiled, amused. “I’m really curious.”

I shrugged. How am I going to lie to him without making Daeseul sound desperate or without him knowing that Daeseul talks about him all the time?

“It’s just that, every morning before school, we’d come here and get a cup of coffee to start our day. So one time she reached here earlier than I did. When we were about to leave, she turned back around and said, ‘Bye, Kai Oppa’!” I explained to Kai.

Well . . . it wasn’t a lie, that story. I just edited out a lot of things and information, starting from how much she talks to me about him.

“Ohhh . . .” He nodded understandingly, buying my lie. “I get it.” He smiled. “What a small world, huh?” he asked me.

I nodded. “I think it’s getting smaller.”

Kai just shrugged. Then he blinked, which was followed by gasp.

“Omo, now I get it!” he cried out. “Eun Hae!

 

Kai’s POV

Now I understand why I thought Daeseul was my girl. I should have known right from the start. Daeseul was the connecting link between Eun Hae and me! And also, when she first introduced herself I was pretty sure that I had heard her name before.

Call me slow, but really, it was only until just now that I had figured it out. This is the girl that Daeseul wanted me to go on a date with.

Seriously, talk about small worlds!

She stared quizzically at me. “What’s the matter?” she asked me. “Yeah, you called me? What’s up?”

I shook my head. “I heard your name too,” I told her.

She raised an eyebrow. “Had Daeseul been telling you things about me, then?” she asked me, a smile tugging at the corner of .

I shook my head again. “Anniyo,” I reassured her, thinking of how to lie to her. “But I remember one day your cousin” — I fumbled, trying to remember her cousin’s name — “Changjo, was it, and Daeseul were here when your cousin took off, calling your name. Then she explained to me that you were her best friend.”

She blushed and looked down, playing with her fingers. “Oh. Erm. Did she also tell you that I’m always being bullied by idiots too?” she muttered.

Oh, yes, and that I am the man to be able to protect you from idiots like them too, I thought but I didn’t tell her that. She’ll probably feel even more self-conscious of herself than she was already feeling!

So all I did was just shrugged awkwardly. “Uh . . . yeah. She did.” I felt like I was betraying Daeseul.

But Eun Hae just sighed. “I knew it,” she muttered.

That puzzled me slightly. But I was too in awe as I remembered how persistent she was to get me to agree to go on a date with Eun Hae. I wonder how she’ll react when she finds out that the two of us had already met. But why didn’t she tell me that Eun Hae was working here? She told me so many things about Eun Hae that I practically know her favourite colour, food and all of that. But I didn’t know this.

With Daeseul’s constant persistence in getting me to agree to date her best friend, it was probably good that she wasn’t the girl for me. Imagine me trying to get to the girl who was chosen for me when she’s been trying to get me to a girl who I’m not supposed to be with. This is all too funny.

But . . . there was this nagging feeling bubbling inside the pit of my stomach. I don’t know how to describe it, really. It’s like . . . I actually wanted Daeseul to be my girl instead of Eun Hae, even though now it would be so much easier to get to her than it would have to get to Daeseul. I still wasn’t happy.

Eun Hae shrugged and looked up. “Daeseul is really sweet when she wants to be but she can also be really irritating at times.” She shuddered, a scowl coming upon her pretty little face.

I smiled. “So, tell me about yourself, Eun Hae,’ I said to her, full of curiosity. Was what Daeseul told me about her really true?

She shrugged again and smiled. “Well, you can learn about me in time,” she replied, giving me a mysterious smile and I knew that that was all she was going to say.

“Oooh, I know that tactic, you sneaky girl,” I laughed. “You’re trying to look appealing for me to want to be interested in you. Nice.”

She laughed as well. “Of course not,” she said, waving a hand dismissively with a warm smile on her face. “Although I have to admit that I am being serious about you finding out for yourself what I’m like and such. Honestly, I’m lazy to tell you about myself. So I’m doing this in a fun and also in a way where I don’t have to tell you everything about me and vice versa. So we can learn.”

"Oh yea, chemistry and all that, right?"

She shook her head at me. “Are you some nerd or somthing, Kai-sshi?” Eun Hae asked me. “You sound like some nerd!” She giggled.

I scoffed. “Do I look like a nerd to you?”

“Weeeellll . . .”

I whacked her lightly on the arm and she pretended to be hurt, pouting her lips. She looked so cute.

But Daeseul is cuter.

I shook my head and I realized that my heartbeat was now quickening in its beat. Why is my heart beating so fast? It only started when I thought that Daeseul is cuter. Wait, why do I even think that Daeseul is cuter? I don’t care who’s cuter than or not as long as I win the Game this year.

I ran a hand through my already-messy hair. This is so frustrating. I can’t believe that I actually thought that.

 

Eun Hae’s POV

After work, around eight in the night, I was so dead tired. I could tell that everyone else around me were equally tired. This was the first time any of us had worked so hard in all our lives of working here. We were actually quite proud at our accomplishment.

Our boss agreed to let us go home and we cheered, packing up, congratulating each other on the hard work. Kai and I walked out of the shop, enjoying the million stars painted in the dark, night sky. The crescent moon looked exceptionally beautiful, with its own source of light glowing.

I wonder what Lu Han was doing.

Kai turned to me and pointed to one way. “I’m heading over there,” he said. “You?”

“Oh, I’m walking the opposite end,” I replied.

“Do you want me to walk you home?”

I shook my head and smiled. “Nah, it’s okay. I can walk home myself. I’ve been doing that for the I-don’t-know how many months I’ve been working here.”

“Be safe. Bye.” He turned and walked back home. I stared after him for awhile.

“Miss me?”

I jumped, startled. I turned around in time to see Lu Han appearing visibly in front of me. I frowned. “I thought you said you had to go somewhere.”

He shrugged, shoving his hands into his jeans pocket. “I had to go back to Planet Exo for awhile,” he explained. He nodded toward Kai’s back. “Who’s that guy?”

My heart dropped when I realized he had gone so far away from me without knowing. “You went back?” I said, slightly frowning. “Why did you go back?”

He shrugged, blowing a raspberry. “My, uh, big brother wanted to talk to me about something that he couldn’t say over this watch.” He tapped on the watch he’s always wearing. He had told me long ago what the watch does. He slipped his hand into mine and we walked down the road together. I smiled. We probably looked like a couple to those people walking down the street.

“You didn’t answer my question,” he said.  “Who’s that guy you were with just now?”

“Oh.” He meant Kai. I shot him a look. “Why? Are you jealous?” I teased.

He scoffed. “As if,” he said, folding his arms across his chest. “Why should I be jealous when I see no competition there? Obviously, you are in love with me.”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re not even remotely close. He’s my boyfriend.”

He shook his head. “You are so lying,” he said. He stopped and I bumped into him. He held me to steady me. “Look me into my eyes and tell me that he’s your boyfriend.”

I looked into his eyes, dead serious. “He’s —” I broke away, feeling my cheeks on fire, my heart starting to pound when I realized I couldn’t lie. How the hell does he know?

He smirked smugly. “See? I told you so,” he boasted. “It’s clear you’re in love with me, not him.” He laughed.

I scowled. “,” I muttered as I chased him down the road.

 

Kai’s POV

Once I was sure she was out of earshot, I teleported myself back to the apartment I had rent for the time being. I had teleported myself into my living room. I looked at the time. It was pretty late. I wonder if she was home yet. I remembered her telling me the name of her apartment. I switched the computer on and searched it up. When I found a picture of it, I closed my eyes. When I opened my eyes, I was standing in front of her apartment. I glanced around. Well, the place looks friendly enough.

Then I heard her voice. I quickly hid behind a car so she wouldn’t see me. I didn’t want her to know I was stalking her. As I watched, there was a guy with her. I frowned, craning my neck to get a better look. It wasn’t Changjo. I thought Daeseul told me that she didn’t have a boyfriend. Maybe he’s the brother. But I had to make sure.

So I closed my eyes and pictured her face. When I opened my eyes, I saw her at a door with the guy behind her. His back was turned so I couldn’t get a closer look on his face. Eun Hae opened the door and he stepped passed her, hurrying inside.

She sighed. “Why I let you live with me is beyond me,” I heard her say.

“That’s because you love me!” the guy said gleefully and she made a face as she locked the door.

I frowned, confused, wondering who he was. Knowing I wasn’t going anywhere tonight, I teleported back to my room and went to bed and slept.

 

Kris and Suho’s POV

That was close. . . .

Lu Han and Kai almost met each other.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wahahaha :P I just love teasing you guys :P