Chapter 24 - It was all for you

A Quest for Joy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon lied on her bed thinking about the mysterious man's words. Her uncle was a powerful man or a man with a lot of connections, she got that part from her teacher, Joowon, her step parents and now the mysterious assassin. They all seemed to obey Mr. Lee and the assassin seemed to be genuinely afraid of him when he talked about him and the necklace. But she does not know why that is the case. Even if he is like a head of security or owns a security company, there is no need to be that afraid, there are laws in place right? And why the need of formality, calling his self proclaimed niece, Young Master? 

After about 20 minutes or so, the door clicked open again. It was her step parents.

Was she about to get scolded again or just get interrogated, it was the first two thoughts that came to her mind. But Mrs. Im approached her with an expression, and if she wasn't seeing things, it was a worried and sad look. 

Taeyeon scrunched her face slightly at the odd sight, "...".

"Taeyeon-ah..." Mrs. Im cupped the side of Taeyeon's cheek with her right hand causing her to flinch.  She sat beside her and looked all around Taeyeon's small body to check for her injuries. Bandages were wrapped all around her abdomen and patches of bandages were seen at the side of her ribs. 

"Where did you go? Why didn't you come home after your graduation? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?" Mrs. Im yelled at her, but it wasn't the detested attitude Taeyeon was used to, instead it had a hint of worry.

Taeyeon was shocked, but in disbelief she replied, "Wow, it's like you care for someone who didn't even come to my graduation." In fact, she did remember Mr. Im was under her uncle's orders and seeing her injured must caused Mrs. Im to worry about herself. It wouldn't end well for her, if Mr. Lee knew she was injured.

Mrs. Im stared at her sympathetically and lowered her head as if deep in thought.

"If you have something to say, say it. I don't have the patience to look at you all night." Taeyeon looked up to see Mr. Im standing behind Mrs. Im looking lost at his wife.

"Taeyeon-ah, let me explain. I will leave soon I promise." Mrs. Im scooted closer, almost instinctively Taeyeon moved away and lied there not expecting anything pleasant. 

Mrs. Im took a deep breath before proceeding, "Do you remember when you first came to our family?"

No answer.

"You were so young and yet you didn't cry when you came into our unfamiliar home. Every day since then you surprised me. Although it was a strange place to you, you took care of yourself." 

What the heck are you telling me these again old lady. Last time you were snickering about how it helped you make your job easier. Taeyeon unconsciously rolled her eyes.

"At first I tried talking to you, but you wouldn't listen so I got so mad. And guess what? Unlike our Yoona, you didn't flinch at all by my scolding. You just stood there and gave me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter