Chapter 8: The Sunset

Once Upon A Time (Twice's Nayeon x You)

 

 


Nayeon's POV

 


There was a stillness in the hallway as the lights . We are both looking at each other in the eyes. Tick tock. No no no no. I grabbed the doll from her without looking back. To my room!

 


"Nayeon?!", Jeongyeon called after me. "Yah!"

 


Jeongyeon please don't follow me! Not this time! Just next time! I looked behind and saw a long-legged creature running towards me. Kindly stop that ostrich! I hopped towards my door and the doorknob pivoted. Locked! There are some sparks going around my room. Of course, it's midnight.

 


"Hmm? Why are you carrying me?"

 


I never should've focused too much on my door. I turned to face the owner of the voice who's legs were in between my arms. I was carrying this human doll. She wasn't that heavy though. Maybe that's the reason why I didn't realize I was still carrying her.

 


"It's making me uncomfortable.", her face blushed and I realized that our faces were just inches away.


"Kya!", my hands freed her from me then I banged my head on the door.


"Nayeon?!", Jeongyeon will you please stop?


"I heard the commotion. What's going on?", Jihyo is still awake?


"Two different voices.", I felt her chin on top of my shoulder blades. "Do you want me to hide again?"

 


My head rotated unconsciously towards that down voice. Why am I forgetting everything outside that door? Does this doll have some powers? Again, our faces. The distance. She didn't recoil cause she was dead serious on what I'm gonna order her.

 


"Just open the door."

 


She commanded me instead of telling me to trust her. I admit there was a doubt. What is better than making my members doubt me? I opened the door slowly not looking at the latter.

 


"I heard Jeongyeon's voice.", Jihyo burst out. "What's happening? Why is she calling out your name in a loud tone?"

 


I expected Jihyo and Jeongyeon to be surprised at the sight that there's another person together with me. Why aren't they mentioning anything?

 


"I called her because she was searching for something in the dark!", Jeongyeon finally admitted to Jihyo.


"I was only searching for my doll. I'm just worried I lost her! You know how forgetful I am! I even forget that I put my own eyeglass in the refrigerator! Why do you even have her in the first place?!"


"Aish. Will both of you stop bickering with each other?! The two of you are older than me!"


"Momo took your doll cause she introduced your doll to her other dolls!", Jeongyeon ignored the fact that Jihyo was being a referee. "I was about to give her back to you cause Momo fell asleep but you snatched her away in horror!"

 

 

 

 

 


The argument ended up being fixed when Jihyo forcefully asked both of us to apologize to each other. Ahh. I wasn't able to talk to Y/N last night. If Jeongyeon didn't act stupidly, I would've spent time with her. I did not even know where she went last night. I opened my closet and yes, there she is. As always.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Ahh! I'm so glad that we finished earlier today!", Chaeyoung explained once we arrived back in our own place.


"That's right.", Jeongyeon agreed. "Anyone wants to go out with me?"


"Are you asking someone out?", Momo chuckled.


"Yeah. That's the life of singles.", Jeongyeon's mouth chirped. "Though I don't plan to date, okay?!"


"That , Dude."

 


Leaving them alone in the living room, I badly needed a rest so I went inside my room. Placed my headphones on, while I'm right beside this eerie thing. I hope someone won't disturb me this time.

 


"Love me love me now

Love me love me good

Don't need nobody else when it feels this good

Ain't nobody around, do it like you should

Do it do it do it do it

Yeah you make me go"

 


Yeah! This is the feeling of jamming alone in the room! This is better than being frightened onstage! Huh? The clouds are getting dark at this hour? There'll be no sunset visible today then.

 


"Ttagaun Sunset

barabogijocha himdeureo Baby", I sang a different song that fits the situation unlike what's playing in my headphones. "I'm weird, aren't I?"


"Yes, you are."

 


I was taken aback by that voice. Why did the music shuffle at the same time that I heard her voice? Where's the clock? 5:26 pm. Then why?

 


"Y/N?", my lips cannot return to its proper place. "How?"


"How, what?"


"It's still 5:26 pm."


"And?"


"Why are you alive?"


"Should I be dead then?", there she is quacking.


"No, let me explain.", I was fumbling my own hair with my hands. "Let's get this straight. You are a doll, okay?"


"I'll pretend that's true.", she nodded as she listened to me carefully.


"Cause it is!", I insisted. "You are a doll that transforms every midnight. I observed it for 3 consecutive nights already, okay? With my own eyes!"


"But I'm a real human and I'm Y/N!"


"Hush!", I silenced her. "Haven't you realized that you are only awake at midnight? Didn't that come across your mind?"

 


The sudden thought of curiosity flashed in her eyes. There's something that even she doesn't have any idea of what's really going on her. I wished I never said those words cause I made her mood go together with the gloomy rain.

 


"I-i", she cannot say anything and I don't even know what to do so I hugged her instead.


"Don't worry. We are gonna find out why is this happening to you.", I felt sad too. "So how about we make some rules?"


"Hmm?"


"You know, I am a Kpop Idol from a Kpop group, Twice. I am living together with my members and they were the voices you heard every midnight.", I paced back and forth to give her some information about me. "My groupmates are doubting me because of the noise I am causing recently and you are the reason why."


"Idol?", her eyes blinked a lot of times then laughed.


"Yah! What's so funny?!"


"If you mean being an idol acts weirdly and wears big glasses.", she stopped talking when I glared at her. "Okay. I won't doubt you."


"Going back to the topic, you are now aware that I have groupmates.", she kept on nodding. "I want you to stay here all the time every time you become alive, okay?"


"Why?", she wants her own independence.


"Just please, trust me with this. Most of the members are conservative and our leader is overprotective. She would call the police on you once she finds out that a stranger is living here.", please don't make that face. "We are idols so we are always alert. I don't know what to reason out in case they will find out who you are. Please, don't ever go to the kitchen just like last time! My members were creeped out!"

 


I know she feels bad about what I shared but she needs to do this even if it's against her own will. At the same time, it is against my own will to make her my prisoner too.

 


"Anyway, Y/N."


"Hmm?"


"Did you feel some burning sensation last time? That time when you have coffee stains on your clothes?", I want to know what are my limits in times she cannot speak for herself.


"Hmm.", why does she even have to think about it? "Yeah, I felt it as I was sleeping but I cannot move. It's like I just ignored the fact that I felt that. Now that you mentioned it, I think it's weird. Shouldn't I wake up immediately and freak out that I was burnt?"

 


Aww. This poor thing. She's locked inside a world that she couldn't even bother to move at the stimulus. She is a living thing.

 


"Nayeon?"


"Nae?"


"You gave me some rules.", she pouted. "To make it fair, can I please ask you a favor?"


"It depends on the favor."

 


Why am I showing her like I'm uninterested in whatever she's gonna say? She wasn't able to continue talking so I looked at her direction. She is becoming lethargic at the moment. I rushed towards her and held her in my arms. I know she's seeing the whole world turning with these eyes. What is happening to her? Should I ask for help? No, that is not going to happen, or else you know. 

 


"Y/N, what's happening with you?"

 


The ripples of the rain on top of the roof are getting slower and softer than before. It's also getting darker as we head to evening. Why is my doll getting weaker? What's with the rain and the evening?

 


"As my owner, can you-"

 


Her next words were audible enough to hear as a whisper so only I could hear it. Now, on my hands, she's lifeless. I will do it for you.