Chapter 21: The Worker

Once Upon A Time (Twice's Nayeon x You)

 

 


Y/N's POV

 


An unknown girl who was together with her intruded our conversation. Suddenly, Nayeon let go of her hand.

 


"Why the heck they didn't stop her from going here?", Nayeon was cursing under her breath and it is clear she was talking about Momo and Jeongyeon. "How long had you been there, Mina?"

 


From her feet to her head, that's how my eyes moved. Her name is Mina. A sudden flashback flashed in my mind. That girl who went here last night but did not come inside. She was just looking at the menu.

 


"I wasn't that long enough.", Mina washed her hands beside me. "Why are you talking to the worker, Nayeon unnie? She's got some things to do than have a dialogue with you. Why did you even expose yourself in front of her?"

 


Mina's back leaned on the sink as she crossed her arms. It was unknown to her, isn't it?

 


"Ahh! That!", Nayeon laughed as she tried to caress her . "I slid on the floor, Mina. Y/N got in time to help me up. I removed the mask cause I need to breathe properly from that mini heart attack!"


"Then, I should report this incident to the owner.", Mina frowned. "Who knows? Maybe the next time a person will have the same accident, they'll have it worse."


"You!", I mouthed at Nayeon cause I cannot just lose this job.


"Yah! Mina! Stop right there!", Nayeon blocked Mina's way and held her hands. "It wasn't on purpose. Y/N already told me that they are gonna have a renovation once they'll make a lot of money."

 


Feels like someone is strangling my neck with what Nayeon said. I am not gonna offer my salary because of your lies, Nayeon!

 


"What do you think you're doing?!", I was on Mina's back still mouthing everything to Nayeon. "Look at me!"


"It would take a long time but as long as you're moving a step, then it's better.", did this Mina just turned from a strict woman to a gentlewoman? "Making friends with someone who helped you isn't that bad. Since you helped Nayeon unnie, I'd want to befriend you too."

 


That bright gummy smile she gave. Little by little, her arms raised as she was offering a hand to me. If I was her lover, I would take that hand and kiss it then finally propose to her!

 


"Hello there, Y/N. I am Mina."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nayeon's POV

 


The reason why I didn't have any help in facing Mina was obviously shown in my eyes. Jeongyeon and Momo were competing with the food. The big eaters.

 


"Honestly, Momo? You should give this to me.", Jeongyeon grabbed the plate from Momo. "The sun is gonna completely shine later. If you will keep on eating, you won't have the appetite to eat breakfast!"


"I'm fed up with your reasons!", the tug-of-war. "Why don't you order more for us?!"

 


I was about to hit their necks when an old woman went out of the kitchen unamused. She passed by me and Mina without being bothered to look at us.

 


"Enough!", if an old woman raises her voice, who wouldn't stop what they're doing? "You shouldn't fight in front of the food. Where are your manners?"

 


The plate was left on the table as the two bowed again and again to apologize. The face of the old woman shifted into a nicer one.

 


"Erika?"


"Nae, grandma?"


"Bring them another plate of food.", her hand motioned. "It seems like they aren't full yet.


"Grandma, I told you not to give a lot of giveaways!"


"You also don't have manners. How dare you talk back to an elder?", with a sigh, Erika left.


"Ahh! You did not have to do that, halmeoni.", Jeongyeon bowed in front of the old woman again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After everyone was already finished, we need to get back as fast as we could before Jihyo would ask our whereabouts once again. Mina left a big tip. I agree with what Mina did. Once everyone already went outside, I rushed to Y/N first.

 


"You turn back at 6 am. What are you going to do about that?", I whispered earnestly.


"Don't worry. This is just a part-time job.", Y/N whispered back. "I'll be out in time. Now, go, before they'll lose endurance."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Y/N's POV

 


"Do you know them, Y/N?", Erika noticed that Nayeon and I just talked.


"Umm. Yes.", there's no point in lying.


"Their faces look so familiar but they are hiding very well.", Erika realized that they gave a huge amount for a tip. "How?!"


"What happened?", we all went to her.


"Look at this."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nayeon's POV

 


"I know that we are all vacant this day, but why do your faces look tired if we don't have agendas today?", Jihyo was checking us. "Mina, you went alone again?"


"I was with them.", Mina pointed at us.


"Why do you always go out at night?", Jihyo was stressing out.


"When is the best time to go out except at night when fewer people are present?", praise Mina for that.


"You look like you were criminals doing some crime at night for who knows? Fine.", Jihyo shrugged it off. "Now, eat your breakfast."

 


We sat down and ate the bacon and eggs that were prepared on the table. Jeongyeon and Momo have the largest stomach though they haven't started eating yet.

 


"Impossible.", the juice poured out from Tzuyu's mouth.


"What is it?", Jihyo wiped the liquid on Tzuyu's lap then looked to where Tzuyu was looking. "Impossible."


"What?", Jeongyeon and Momo have some explaining to do.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"If you didn't act like that last night, we wouldn't be questioned!", Jeongyeon was quarreling with Momo again.


"What? You were the one who kept on stealing my food!", Momo sulked.


"I told you to let me eat it or else you won't have an appetite by breakfast! It is more questionable if it's you who wouldn't eat!"


"How come?"

 


Their tongues are irritating my eardrums. Even if I cover my ears tightly or wear earphones, it could still be overheard. Suddenly, their voices weren't clear anymore.

 


"Oh my gosh! It rained!"


"You know what it means?"


"Run!"

 


The three of us hurried outside not minding the attention of the members. They would think that we are like kids who are going to play in the rain. 

 


"Explain to me why those 3 are always together nowadays?", Sana watched us.


"Probably because they are the unnie line.", Chaeyoung said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Y/N!", Momo was the first one who went inside. "You don't have work right now?"


"Nope, they let me work during midnights.", Y/N smiled at us. "I'm sorry I cannot interact like how we did these past midnights."


"Why do you even work, Y/N?", Jeongyeon looked if there are still groceries. "Did we lack something? Why didn't you tell us before?"


"It's not like that.", Y/N became unhappy just now. "I don't want to explain. I just want to be productive every time I'm alive."


"How about your owner?", they all looked at me.


"It's fine for me if she wants it.", I sat in front of Y/N. "Why are they even open at midnight? Don't they rest at all?"


"They do. They have regular workers during the morning. Nicole and Abegail are also going to school during the mornings.", Y/N was captivated to chat about her experience. "If there are no customers, we take a nap until a customer arrives. They need to open the shop for 24 hours because they are tight financially."


"How about the grandmother? It's unhealthy for her.", I know why Jeongyeon felt that and she even mentioned that on Seize the Light.


"She sleeps.", Y/N shrugged. "It's just you were too noisy at that time."


"I feel so sorry."


"Thank you for giving a huge tip.", a radiating simper.


"Who did?", Momo and Jeongyeon were waiting for my answer.


"It was Mina."

 

 

 

 

 

 

The rain finally stopped so we decided to go home since Y/N turned back into a doll again. When will it rain again?

 


"Mina is a good person.", Momo smiled while staring at the window pane.


"She is.", Jeongyeon granted. "Y/N mentioned that they are struggling financially. I worry about grandmother."


"Yeah. Y/N wouldn't like it if we would donate directly. I bet the grandmother wouldn't want that too. Independent people don't like that idea.", I heaved a sigh.


"What can we do to help them?", Momo converged on the talk.


"I have a plan."