Chapter 49: The Heartbeat

Once Upon A Time (Twice's Nayeon x You)

 

 


Nayeon's POV

 


"You are Y/N's aunt?", I was set ablaze by what I heard. "Then why are you doing this?"


"The whole family is witches.", here goes the storytelling. "This place is our secret hideout back when our village was burned by the people when they discovered who we truly were. I could remember the burning fire flickering before my eyes, seeing how our family was set on fire. You didn't happen to know anything about that cause the news wouldn't portray news like that, and this place is quite far away from the city."

 


The way she dispersed the story was half and half. Half fire in her eyes because of anger at how she looked at her past. Half water because of her tears, but she couldn't put out her own fire.

 


"My little sister and I gratefully fled and was able to settle in a place like this, in the middle of the woods, where no one would be able to spy on us. That's what we thought, not until rumors were finally out again, so I urged my sister to go to the city and live her life with freedom. She was reluctant at first because she wants me to come. I couldn't because I need to stay here and to continue our family's legacy. What we truly are. We aren't that bad as what movies show. We are actually taking care of the elements in the forest, and make some potions for healing. There are some other who are bad though since they would be paid to curse a specific person. I don't want us to go extinct. I told her to come back once the peak of rumors would be slanted."

 


Just imagining all of this, I know that they are not truly evil. They were just victims of cruelness. They were just trying to escape.

 


"One day, when I ordered my sister to come back to my place.", she smiled. "She came back with a huge lump on her belly. I could remember her caressing her belly at that time as I was thrilled that our bloodline will continue and that I have to take care of a kid. It did pain me though when she kept my hands away from touching that bump. All that she could say was that she was finally married, and her husband loves her so much to the point that he accepted her despite her not being a pure human."

 


That was sweet of her father. Knowing it right now, what she truly is, I could feel that I even loved her more and that I couldn't stop loving her, but I did a huge mistake, and I was the start of her misery. I was the start of her having no life and freedom. How could I be happy like this?

 

 

"She stayed away from me for how many years but decided to go back to beg me to stay with her as she assured me that she will guard me. She wanted us to blend with humans well, but no, the powerful magic was passed by to me as the eldest, and I cannot waste it. Seeing Y/N grow up when they came back here, it pained me because I wanted her to be free, but she's the next in line and needs to fulfill what our ancestors did."


"Y/N did not know you yet that time?"


"She did not because when they arrived, we automatically start the argument, and her father had to hide her in the room to avoid seeing the conflict. I may be familiar for her, but it's been 2 decades until she saw me with her own eyes once again."


"That explains why you were kind to her, and you were glaring at me."


"I did not expect visitors to go inside a hole they were not familiar with.", she smiled even more. "Still, I was happy at that time when I was able to see her personally, when she spoke to me, when we interacted with each other. I thank your friends for bringing her close to me after all these years."


"Only my friends? How about me?", I bowed down. "Right, I am the one who caused all of this."

 


"That's why she was inside the body of her own doll that she saved.", her smile disappeared. "I gave her to you to scare you away, as an act of revenge, Nayeon. That letter is from me as I oath to myself to seek revenge."


"Sorry."


"That's why I made her turn every midnight for you not to sleep well. I was successful for the first few nights.", her fist clenched as she looked at me. "It made me happy seeing you be haunted by my niece. She turns every rainy day too since it was raining hard when that accident happened. Rain, that flushed her blood away, calling for me. How could you fall in love with her in the border, Nayeon?"

 


A sudden tint of blush was showing on my face, and looking at the potions around this house made me think that I should drink something to cover this shade. To change my color.

 


"I-I am not-"


"You did not have to deny it.", she opened the door with her magic stick. "And I don't care about you catching feelings with my niece. I won't accept you for her, Nayeon. I won't give my niece to a naughty girl. Even if she comes back alive, I won't give her back to you. You can now leave after hearing my story."


"Yeah. You're right. If it wasn't because of me, she could've been relishing her life."

 

 

While bowing, I could see that her stick with the red color turned into orange. The orange color of that stick made me remember the potion that she made for my friends. It was pointing to me, hypnotizing me in the orange world. There was a sudden flash that went straight to me with a buzzing noise.

 


"But, no. That doesn't mean I want to forget her.", I seized a metal near me and blocked the magic that was about to make me forget her. "I wouldn't want to forget her even with this pain I'm feeling. Don't let me forget her. Let this suffering heart be my punishment for what I've done to her."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Ugh! How could I have forgotten to ask her where the doll was? Did she keep the doll in her home or is she in the mansion? Was she in the hospital to be a source of strength for her real body?"

 


I tried to get up from the bed and opened my closet. Did this become a habit of mine? I went to the other members' room afterward. I even saw the big dollhouse in Momo's room, the bonnet that Mina was knitting yet was unfinished, the bandage that Jihyo was unable to throw because it was her sign of braveness. Finally, Jeongyeon who was staring blankly at the blank skies.

 


"You still up?", I peeked inside, but she did not bother to turn to me.


"Yeah. Looking up, bro.", witty Jeong.


"But, the skies are empty? Why do you keep on looking at it?"

 


There were no stars to be counted and appreciated. Jeongyeon felt empty inside, yet she doesn't know why.

 


"I don't even know.", tears started to fall from her eyes without her knowing it. "I could just hear somebody's voice telling me that I'm not worthless, and I'm a human with a purpose."


"Huh?"


"Outside is really empty because I am empty inside."


"Who's voice?"


"I don't know. I could hear her when she's beside me.", she started smiling. "But I swear it's not you, Im Nayeon. You don't comfort me!"


"Rude enough."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Going back to my room after telling them that I'm just looking out for them, yet I'm actually looking for someone else. She's not anywhere. I opened my drawer to write her a letter but I saw that letter instead.

 


"Please, handle me with care. I am fragile."

 


I should've done my best to search for her whereabouts. If the doll breaks, the heartbeat will also break.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No One's POV

 


"Ahjumma! Why is Nayeon noona not coming back here anymore?", there's this little boy again that everyone hates, the villain.


"Ahh! She is busy. Don't worry. I'll tell you next time when she'll be home.", Nayeon's mother reassured him. "Do you need anything? I'm gonna make you some snacks, okay?"


"Okay."

 

 


When Nayeon's mom left, the spoiled brat went inside Nayeon's room, not knowing why. One thing that caught his eyes made him remember something. It's the reason why Nayeon treated him differently. Thinking that it has a curse, he took it inside the box and brought it outside. What is he gonna do with it?

 


"I hate you for Nayeon noona."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Doctors were rushing around as the doctor who was assigned to this girl for a long time fainted when he saw the heartbeat getting worse. The heartbeat became irregular. Everything is going wrong. Soon enough, the heartbeat might go in a straight line.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:


You guys ready for the ending?! Tomorrow is December already! Is it cold? Who wants cuddles?
❤️