Chapter 11: The Birthday

Once Upon A Time (Twice's Nayeon x You)

 

 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE: For Nayeon's birthday, our main character in this story, I'm gonna update today as a gift for her! Cheers, everyone! 🥳

 

 

 

 

No One's POV

 


"Nayeon.", Jeongyeon's eyes widened cause she knows she did something wrong for Nayeon.


"Let go of her.", Nayeon's eyes were filled with blazing flame. "She's not yours."


"I know, but I won't let go of her."

 


Jeongyeon's gait straightened. She was ready to face Nayeon just for seeing the magical side of the doll. Nayeon was holding the left hand, Jeongyeon was holding the right hand. What everyone doesn't know was that.

 


"No.", Nayeon's eyes lit with the light and the sparkles. "No."

 


There was disbelief for everyone. Nayeon's disbelief that the secret will be revealed. Jeongyeon's disbelief that this extraordinary moment is happening in front of her. Y/N's disbelief when she realized that she was standing in between the two women.

 


"You.", Jeongyeon hooted. "It was truly you."


"I can hear footsteps.", Y/N noticed. "It's coming towards here."


"Jeong, please.", Nayeon still had a hope that Jeongyeon will help her. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Y/N's POV

 


Nayeon's eyes were somewhat tearing up as she didn't know what to do. Am I gonna get caught right now? I also looked at this new person in front of me. Please, for the sake of Nayeon. Without any choice, I ran and ran towards the closet as I'm usually doing. What is going to happen to me?

 


"Why did you take the key from me?", a shorter girl with large eyes entered the room as she was examining both of them.


"Jeong.", Nayeon did not bother to look at the one who recently arrived. "Jeong."

 


I know lying is immoral as what my mother and father told me. Why are they always lying? Are humans like that when they grow old? Please, lie.

 


"I'm sorry about that, Ji.", the Jeong girl started talking with uncertainty. "Nayeon has-"


"What?", why are they even terrified of her? Is it because of her big eyes? "Jeongyeon, I'm waiting."


"I pranked Nayeon!", her eyes were tightly shut. "I'm really sorry, Ji!"


"Can't your joke wait tomorrow, Jeong?", she looked at Jeongyeon with disbelief. "And why did you do that? You know Nayeon unnie is having a hard time to sleep well!"

 


The tallest girl's arms were tightly tucked on her side as her clenched fist beacons that she was keeping something that she did not like.

 


"It's because Nayeon pranked me last time at night too!", she shook. "I just need vengeance!"


"Ahuh? What have I done?", Nayeon's jaw and her chest were in an upright position as is she's gonna fight Jeongyeon for lying.


"What the-", Jeongyeon was confused why Nayeon took it seriously instead of acting out.


"Enough you two!", the leader pushed both of them away from each other. "Jeongyeon you ruined my sleep just for this! I want you to go back to your room now!"

 


This big-eyed girl went on her way first and the keys that were stuck on the doorknob were ringing as she took it firmly without looking back.

 


"You have poor instinct.", Jeongyeon faced Nayeon. "I was just acting. How could you leave me in place?"


"You were just acting?", Nayeon was about to laugh.


"Yes, she was.", my eyes that were watching in between the space of the slightly closed closet finally became visible as I went outside. "You are so dense, Nayeon."


"Where is your respect?"


"I'm sorry you had to take all of the blame.", I bowed in front of Jeongyeon. "Thank you for saving my master."


"Huh?", Jeongyeon was taken aback. "Finally! Someone is talking with sense right now! I can't believe a human doll thinks way better than you, Nayeon. No worries about that."


"But lying is still not good.", I stopped her hands from clapping.


"I did that to save you!"

 


My head bowed as I realized that I made someone lie just for my sake. Keeping secrets is okay but lying is not. Telling someone's secret is also not good.

 


"Aren't you afraid of me?"


"Of course, I am.", Jeongyeon did not look straight in my eyes. "But Jihyo is scarier though."


"Who is Jihyo?"


"That one who just went inside then went back outside." Nayeon nonsensically said. "She is the group's leader. We cannot mess up with her."

 

"What do you plan now?", Jeongyeon dared Nayeon. "Perhaps could you even explain to me why this is happening?"


"Really, I don't have any idea too. For now, we just have to keep Y/N in discreet until we are gonna find out what's happening cause even her doesn't know why is it happening to her.", Nayeon effortlessly explained. "I do have one serious problem though, Jeong."


"What is it?"


"It's not only midnight when she transforms.", I, too, was sad when I was reminded that day that I found out I was a doll. "There are times when she transforms unexpectedly in afternoons."


"That's one big problem."

 


We are all wondering what to do. I bet this is not a safe place for me then. Should I leave them to lessen their worries in life?

 


"Should we buy a house for Y/N, then?", Jeongyeon suddenly suggested.


"Mwo?", Nayeon and I looked at her sternly.


"Y/N, we cannot yet move freely nowadays cause we have a lot of schedules as idols.", Jeongyeon held my hand without fear. "Please wait for the time that we would finally have a vacation so that we could start our private investigation."

 


She isn't as bad as what my first impression told me. If my mother and father are here, they would be frustrated at me that I judged a person too eagerly. First impression never lasts.

 


"Ahh!", Nayeon took my hands from Jeongyeon's hands. "You have a point, Jeong. I remember that we have a treehouse in our backyard."


"Treehouse?!", that sparked great bliss inside of me.


"Why do you seem so happy about that?", Jeongyeon irked when she saw that moment. "Aigoo! I thought I finally found someone mature here!"

 


Jeongyeon bounced out of frustration. I bounced on the other hand because of excitement. Nayeon is observing us as we were bouncing for two different reasons.

 


"Is that okay for you, Y/N?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wow! Is this Nayeon's treehouse? This looks simple but is good to live in. I am just a kid. There was thick bedding for me to sleep. Nayeon and Jeongyeon were also carrying some stuff for me. The foods!

 


"Are these enough for her?", Jeongyeon asked Nayeon as they kept their heads hung low because of the tiny space.


"She doesn't even eat."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Nayeon's POV

 


"Is that true, Y/N?", Jeongyeon looked at her with concern. "Yah! You should not starve without any reason! That's not good! You should always fill up your tummy!"


"Ahh? I don't feel hungry?", she tittered.


"What kind of living being doesn't feel hungry?"


"Could you please stop?", why is Jeongyeon even showing concern over her? "We are in a hurry."

 


Jeongyeon stared at me oddly. How could an owner care less for her own belonging? Shouldn't I be the one to talk like that to Y/N?

 


"You have to go back before Jihyo finds out you are nowhere to be found.", Y/N assured us that she's gonna be alright.


"Alright.", Jeongyeon turned away. "These foods are gonna be enough for a week's supply. I hope we are gonna have a vacation as sooner as possible."


"Go now!", I pushed Jeongyeon's for her to go down the ladder. "Y/N, have this."

 


I took her hand on top of mine as I opened her palm landing the thing that would make me less anxious. She was pleased but she was confused about why I gave her that.

 


"What is this thing?", well, that was unexpected.


"Huh?", she doesn't lie. "That's a phone. Call me if you need anything or if you encounter a problem. My number's already registered there."


"Cellphone?", she was in deep thought. "Do cellphones look like this? Wow. This is high tech!"

 


Is she being serious? What kind of creature am I facing? How come a person doesn't know what a cellphone looked like? She pressed the buttons until the phone lit up. She still pressed the buttons and she was discouraged why only the volumes change and why it goes on and off again. I took her hands and guided it with my own hands by swiping on the screen.

 


"Wow.", the screen is reflecting in her eyes. "That was magic."


"No, it's not. It's science!"


"You have to go now, Nayeon!", she smiled as she waved goodbye.


"Contact me, okay?"


"Will do."

 


I hate going down step by step on the ladder. I hate seeing her lesser with each step I take. It feels like I'm a bad owner leaving my thing alone.

 

"Yah! Nayeon! Jeongyeon! What are you doing in that treehouse!", eomma.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"It's been 2 weeks since we last visited her.", Jeongyeon said as she was sitting on the passenger seat while I was driving. "Did you even miss her?"


"Shut up will you?", the pace of the car ran faster than before.


"I love teasing everybody!", she threw her hands up in the air. "I'm glad that tomorrow we are gonna spend our vacation!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh. Why are the two of you here?", Mom was surprised as we ran together.


"Not now, mom!"


"Hello and bye, ahjumma!"


"Huh? Why do they always climb on that treehouse?", Mom, who was carrying the cookies she made, observed us. "Besides, it's already midnight. Why come at this hour?"


"Y/N-ya!"

 

 

Jeongyeon and I were bumping heads as we reached the hidden home. Huh? Didn't she use the flashlight? Suddenly, there was light. Different from the light she emits during her transformation. Candlelight. The candlelight showed the strawberry, the lettering, the whole cake.

 


"Happy birthday, Nayeon.", her smile lightened the room more. "This is for the birthday girl."