Chapter 43: The Awkwardness

Once Upon A Time (Twice's Nayeon x You)

 

 


Nayeon's POV

 


"She didn't choose me."

 


Jeongyeon turned to her side as she didn't want the sadness to be evident on her face. What she said that she was happy was actually a sarcasm. I am so confused about why she chose no one. Is that how hard her feelings were? I gave Jeongyeon a brotherly hug.

 


"We both are losers."


"Or are we?"

 

 


*FLASHBACK*

 


"You are the second one who did that to me.", Y/N was serious enough, scaring Jeongyeon. "I will consider that as a friendly kiss."


"But it wasn't-"


"It is, for me."

 


Both of them were eager to put out the fire in front of them. It's not the mood to hear themselves since the coldness reached inside.

 


"I hope you would believe that I did not do it for the sake of friendship.", Jeongyeon hugged her knees as she sat down. "I really like you."


"I'll forget you said that.", Y/N was unable to look at Jeongyeon. "I'll consider it a friendly kiss because I don't want our friendship to be destroyed, Jeongyeon."


"H-huh?", Jeongyeon immediately stood up, and the dancing fire dances more inside her teary eyes. "You know what? Stop beating around the bush, Y/N. You could tell it to me directly if you won't give me a chance to prove this love for you."


"Okay.", Y/N sighed. "I'm not made for you, Jeongyeon."


"That."

 


Jeongyeon placed her hands inside her pockets to not show Y/N how disappointed she was to be rejected. Once again, Jeongyeon felt that she's worthless, and not only that, she felt useless.

 


"If I can't be with my owner, then how much more with you?"


"Are you saying that you are doing this just because you feel guilty to your owner?", Jeongyeon nagged. "Nayeon and I talked about it to respect your decision, Y/N! You didn't have to worry about that!"


"I belong to Nayeon only."

 


The awkwardness after having such a conversation. Who would've thought that it's better to look at the snowdrops falling directly to the flames of fire? The sounds of the fire crunching the snowflakes.

 

 


*END OF FLASHBACK*

 

 


"Y/N said that?", Nayeon was surprised, and was hoping that there's still a chance for her. "What could she possibly mean by that? Maybe she's just conscious of her actions that I would point out her wrong?"


"You talk to her about it then.", Jeongyeon was trying her best. "For now, it's confirmed that I didn't have the tiniest chance for her to love me back."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I was hoping that Y/N is here!", I went to Mina's room.


"You were hoping for the wrong place and good morning to you too.", Mina was groggily speaking. "Thanks for being my alarm clock."

 


"Oh. Right.", I ran towards Jihyo's room. "Is Y/N here?"


"You are the owner. Why ask me?", Jihyo threw a pillow to my face. "Learn how to knock on the door!"


"Aish. This is my last hope.", I ran towards Momo's room this time. "I believe that Y/N is here!"

 


I scanned around the room and saw Momo sleeping while hugging something. I grabbed her back and turned her around to take my doll from her.

 


"Yah! What are you doing?!", Momo grabbed the doll back. "You have your own doll! It's a living doll! Why grab mine?"


"S-sorry. I was just searching for Y/N. Where could she be?", I scratched my head as Momo returned to her sleeping session.


"Do you know that the time now is 6:27?", Mina poked me. "Y/N couldn't be in her human state now."


"Aish. Jeongyeon brought her back home in a bad time."


"Bad timing? How?"


"It's-"


"Y/N isn't anywhere to be found. Let's search for her first before talking about it."

 


We searched for every member's room, but my doll couldn't be found. Jeongyeon, where did you leave her? Didn't she bring her back?

 


"Yah! Yoo Jeongyeon! Where's Y/N?", I forced her to wake up as she slept her heavy heart after that conversation.


"Oh. She was just following me when we arrived here, but I don't know where she is right now."


"Is that Y/N?!", I heard Sana yelling outside. "Yah! Y/N! I'll get you! Stay where you are!"

 


I immediately ran to look at where Sana is pointing and she's pointing on top of the tree. Aigoo! Why would she go up all the way there?!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Tell me why are we in a rush to go back to that place, Nayeon?", Jihyo was glaring beside me. "What is it that you want to talk about Y/N?"


"And why is Jeongyeon unnie not here? She usually joins us.", Mina was taking the time to change Y/N's outfit at the back.


"Aish. She could be tired last night."


"So I guess it didn't go well?", Mina paused. "Poor Jeongyeon unnie."


"Come on, Nayeon. You haven't answered my question yet.", Jihyo asked me again.


"It's a secret and it'll stay between the two of us.", I was smiling with pride, as I remembered what Y/N told Jeongyeon. "I want to hear those words coming from her and not just a simple narrative of others."


"What're you talking about?"


"If it's a secret, why would you bring all of us?", Momo was sleepy because of the weather.


"I didn't forcefully lead you out. It was Jihyo's rule so that I'd be free to go.", I was being careful because the whiteness is covering the glass.


"Of course! We will never know what'll happen especially in this cold weather!", Jihyo reminded us. "It's better if there's a backup help just in case!"

 


The wiper let me see that the cliff is just over there and the light on the back is also glowing. Here she comes.

 


"My only hope. We're here."


"Huh?", Y/N was looking at the view. "Why are we here?"


"Nayeon unnie wants to talk to you.", Jihyo sighed. "Seriously, Y/N. We don't know what she wants to talk about. Promise!"


"Right, I think I know what she's gonna talk about."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Y/N's POV

 


Nayeon opened the car door, but she's struggling since the wind is blowing harder and the snow keeps on sweeping through the car. Lifting her arms, she blocked the snow stinging her eyes, and started running towards the door on my side, opening it widely, yet she's still blocking the snow with her back.

 


"Will you please come outside?", she offered her hand at me.


"Sure."

 


I moved together with her while the three are left inside the car. The wind is howling stronger and we are having a problem with our balance, but she is determined.

 


"I'm sorry I had to take you out in this cold while.", the awkwardness was making it cold. "I needed to talk to you."


"I know what you're going to talk about."


"Not so fast.", we are standing near the cliff already.


"Wow. I cannot see the sea clearly."


"What did you mean when you belong to me?", of course, she has to start with that question. "It's unclear and I'm still hoping."

 


I felt deceived by my own self when I know in my heart I love my owner. I had always thought that I was too young to love, but it's not like it's a strange feeling for me anymore. The more time goes on, the more I discover, the more I realized why.

 


"I would like to hear it from you.", although the snow is covering us, I could clearly see the hope in her eyes. "What am I to you?"


"My owner.", I was trying hard. "The one who owns me."


"I hope it's not literal-"


"But I can't own you.", I suspended her halfway. "Never will I own you."


"No.", she held my hand on hers. "Just tell me what you truly feel and I will be yours."

 


Yes, I wanted you to be mine, but it's tough when you are just a thing and not a whole creature and you know in the first place that you are being owned. In the first place, it could not be reciprocated.

 


"You don't know what kind of creature I am, Nayeon."


"You could just pretend that you are a human and forget whatever you are or if you want, we'll go deeper searching for your existence-"


"And pretend that I own you and you own me?"


"Y/N."


"If you would know what I am, Nayeon.", I tried to smile. "You would have a different reaction."

 


Leaving her dumbfounded, I started walking towards the car. I want to turn back into a doll so that I won't cry. So that I could keep my tears inside. I just want to be a doll forever.

 


"But I love you, Nayeon.", I have to administer something that could reduce the agony she felt. "I'll always be yours."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nayeon's POV

 


"You aren't pushing the pedal well. What's with your foot?", Jihyo bent over to look at the pedal. "Stop by the hospital we went to last time. I think your foot is sore. Should we switch places?"

 


I just nodded, but I was just being slow because I couldn't process what Y/N told me. Jihyo started driving still staring at me.

 


"It's because you climbed up that tree even though the weather is chilly.", Jihyo started to drive faster. "Maybe cramps?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"You just went here last time, Ms. Im. You should be very careful.", the doctor told me about her concerns. "You know how weak your leg is!"


"I'm fine.", I smiled. "We should get going now."

 


She nodded as she gave me some instructions before heading outside. The three were waiting patiently at me outside not moving.

 


"What did the doctor say?"


"Prolonged rest."

 


I shrugged as I went first. I wasn't really in the mood. The hospital hall was also bare since there is an emergency that happened on the other floor. Until now, I still can't process everything.

 


"Uhh? Y/N?", Mina, who was carrying the doll was having a difficult moment. "W-what is happening?"

 


I turned to look back at Mina, but before looking back, I saw a body inside the room and I am familiar with the face of that person.

 


"W-what is happening?"

 

 

 

 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Ending next chapter since it's already Chapter 43! Bye! Btw, I appreciate you guys for commenting! I love talking to people. Bye! 😭