Chapter 44: The Truth

Once Upon A Time (Twice's Nayeon x You)

 

 


Nayeon's POV

 


"See that girl?", there was a voice behind my back. "She was there for almost 2 decades already."

 


There was something unusual in the ambiance and I don't know if I should be frightened, terrified, or unhappy about the revelation that was unveiled right in front of my eyes.

 


"Comatose?"


"Yes.", it was the doctor that treated me. "I am not assigned to be her doctor, but the doctor assigned to her needed some help last time and that's how I discovered her, though she was always kept here privately."


"For 20 years?", my heavy breathing.


"I don't know the whole story about her, so I cannot answer any questions coming from you.", the doctor patted my back. "I went here since you stopped in this room and I remembered that I saw that face back when you were admitted here. She was with your friends."


"Doctor? Nayeon unnie? What are you talking about?", Jihyo was approaching us. "Nayeon, something just happened here! Why aren't you showing any concern to her?"

 


Jihyo whispered the last parts so the doctor wouldn't know what we are dealing with. The doctor knows better than us though.

 


"Nayeon unnie! Y/N had disappeared! Why are you still there?", Momo just had to open . "We should find her now!"

 


Just then, a beeping sound was heard inside the room. The doctor noticed me go away. I could see her over there. I just had to run because of what I am seeing right now.

 


"Nayeon!", the others were catching up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Nayeon! Y/N isn't around? Why are we gonna go now? Why are we leaving her behind?!", Jihyo was holding my hands that were turning the steering wheel. "Nayeon! Are you even listening to me?!"


"Didn't you see her in that room?!", I stopped driving. "She isn't here because she's in that room!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"I did not understand any part of what you've said a while ago.", Jihyo offered me some drinks. "I don't know which would fit your mood, so I brought them all."


"Thanks.", I chose a drink, but that did not soothe my nerves.


"Mind talking?"

 


The can of soda drink landed on the table. It is starting to wrinkle when I used my force, and let it all out. I was still nervous.

 


"I don't know I was loving someone who was in comatose for 2 decades already.", seeing her face just like that. "I don't know that the thing I owned is a real person trapped in the ventilators."

 


Jihyo's drink spilled all over the floor. They weren't able to witness what I witnessed because they were too focused on Y/N. We were all too focused on a fantasy that we had forgotten about reality.

 


"Huff.", she wouldn't believe it. "What are you talking about?"


"If seeing her from a doll turning into a human is unbelievable, I wouldn't be surprised that seeing her in a hospital bed is believable.", it's permeating me. "But believe me, what are we supposed to believe right now?"


"Im Nayeon!", a huge pound on the door was heard and as I turned around, my collar was lifted high as she was taller than me. "Momo mentioned that Y/N isn't around because you left her in the hospital! How could you do that?! How could you bring her into a place and leave her behind?!"


"Jeongyeon unnie, put her down and let's rightfully talk about this, okay?", Jihyo was trying to remove Jeongyeon's hands from my cloth. "Let Nayeon unnie explain-"


"Explain?", Jeongyeon scowled at Jihyo. "When you leave someone, isn't it because of your choice? Well, that's a silly choice!"


"She climbed up a tree and you didn't even have the idea because you were going right in front of her that you didn't realize she wasn't following you anymore."


"You!"


"Stop the two of you!"


"You are a coward, Jeongyeon!", I shoved her hands away. "And I am coward too! I admit it!"

 


We are losing our collected selves every now and then. I thought we agreed on something, but this isn't what's going on right now.

 


"The truth is we are both looking for a person who truly exists, but should not exist right in front of us.", grabbing back my coat, I left both of them.


"Nayeon unnie! Where are you going?"


"To talk a different thing to her.", I talked before I left. "To try to bring her back to me if possible."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No one's POV

 


"How many times do we have to go there this day?", Momo was grumbling. "And it's almost midnight!"

 


Jihyo was seriously driving, following the car that Nayeon was driving. Jeongyeon was also on her side.

 


"I hope Y/N is still there.", Jeongyeon was fiddling her fingers.


"Nayeon unnie mentioned that Y/N was inside a room?", Mina was bobbing her head. "But how could that be? And how could she have disappeared in a second? I was just calling her?"


"Perhaps, Y/N escaped from her doll self then turned into a human cause she saw something in that hospital?", Momo tried to overshadow Mina's brain. "A relative?"

 


Mina went silent, so Jihyo looked at her on the rearview mirror. Mina's face was on her palm as her elbow was resting while looking outside the window.

 


"The room where she disappeared.", her eyes went wide. "Was the same room where I witnessed her disappear last time also!"

 


The engine stopped in the parking lot. The first one to come out is Mina, but Nayeon was already inside. Mina discovered the truth. The impossibly possible truth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nayeon's POV

 


My hand touched the door. How can I get inside when I am not allowed? How can I open this when I lack the courage to speak to her?

 


"Her condition is getting strange.", there was a voice coming near me. "One time, she was well, and then her condition would suddenly deteriorate. I don't even know if she still have the probability to live. If she's trying to love it if she's sleeping. What-"

 


I was standing right in front of him. I was guessing he was the doctor assigned to her. He was flipping on the chart, but stopped doing so when he noticed my presence.

 


"Uhm. What are you doing here, Ms?"

 


I stepped forward towards him. He is an old man ranging to 50 years old. If he took care of her for 20 years, he could be in his 30s when he started to deal with her.

 


"Tell me about her condition.", my knees settled on the floor as I bowed in front of him. "I really want to know what's up with her."


"And who are you?"


"I-im-", who am I to her? "I'm."


"I'm sorry, Ms.", the doctor held me up. "But I am not authorized to withhold any information, especially to a newcomer. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to attend to her needs."


"Please, just tell me anything even the simplest form of an idea.", I'm trying my best not to cry.


"Nayeon unnie!", someone was running on the hallway, and stopped as the soles of her feet mounted to look on the window. "How could this be?"


"Excuse me, you are not allowed to do that!", the doctor seized her. "You are invading my patient's privacy!"


"Sorry.", Mina was embarrassed.


"Ladies like you should go back to your homes! Your parents would search for you!", the doctor left us as he went outside.


"That was mean."


"Unnie.", Mina looked at the wall clock. "It's almost midnight!"


"Huh?"


"Y/N turns at midnight! What if the doctor will see her pop-up somewhere?!", Mina was freaking out. "I could remember that Y/N disappeared when she stopped by this room, but she was able to go back to her other human body!"


"What do you mean?"

 


"Jihyo act out!", Mina called on the phone with her soft voice. "Pretend you are injured in the stairs! I know you were able to train as an actress! You can do this!"


"What for-"


"For Y/N! Now, go here on the 4th floor!"

 

 


"Ahh!", we heard a shriek and a pound on the stairs nearby.


"Doctor!", Mina opened the room door.


"What are you still doing here?!"


"Someone needs help on the stairs!", Mina opened the door wider. "Drop everything and help the girl!"


"Help!", Momo was screaming outside, and I was still confused about what Mina is doing.


"Fine!", the doctor ran towards Jihyo and by the time he went out, a weak light not the same as the shining light before was shown.


"She's unconscious, but we need to escape her!", Mina carried the other body of Y/N on her back. "We have to go, Nayeon! Real Y/N, We'll be back!"

 


Mina motioned Jihyo to stop acting and to follow us. Momo was about to scream our names, but Jeongyeon nudged her to make silent.

 


"I am okay, doc.", Jihyo shyly smiled. "I just slipped. We have to go now."


"Wait, how can you guarantee that you are okay?", the doctor grabbed Jihyo's arm, but she shrugged it away.

 


"Look! I can run!", Jihyo grabbed Momo and Jeongyeon leaving the doctor behind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Now, explain it to me why I had to act like that!", we left the other car behind, since Jihyo pulled me in her car. "You should have a good reason, Mina."


"Chillax.", Mina was caressing Y/N's hair. "She's still unconscious. We had to escape her before the doctor would discover why her twin is lying down."


"That was a lame joke."


"You could've appreciated me. I don't often joke.", Mina pouted. "Ahh! Another thing! I heard that the doctor won't give you any information, Nayeon unnie! So, I had to help you."


"Huh?"


"Here."

 


Mina took something from her pocket and gave it to me. A crumpled paper. Mina switched the light on indicating that I had to read.

 


"I felt bad when I did that. They're gonna make some incident report in losing a paper from the chart.", Mina looked down. "But it's for us to know the truth. I offered help. I'm here to help. I took it in a rush before carrying Y/N cause the doctor left the chart on the desk."


"What's this for?"


"Pabo. Drive to the address of the guardian."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We asked a lot of people about the location of this place. It wasn't far away from here, yet I am getting weak when we stopped in front of the door.

 

 

 

 

 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

Who says it's already the ending?! 🤭