Chapter 6: The Doll

Once Upon A Time (Twice's Nayeon x You)

 

 


Nayeon's POV

 


"KYAA!"

 


My chair is falling backward on what I saw. I am falling. I am going down not until I felt that my body was floating in the air. No, only the chair fell. I was being held. She caught me. If Jihyo heard the sound again, I'll be surely doomed.

 


"Why does it seem like you've seen a ghost?", she was sitting on my desk, yes she was. "Why are you awake this time? Huh? It's midnight. You always wake up at midnight. What's wrong with your sleeping pattern? Shouldn't you sleep at 21:00?"

 


She was still holding my hands with my back bent. Yes, she was strong enough to maintain on holding me like this. I can not let go or else I would fall down. I tried to stand now and pulled my hands away from her when she wasn't looking at me.

 


"Huh?"


"Kya!", I couldn't keep calm when I saw it in my two eyes that my porcelain doll transformed into a human. "Wake up, Nayeon. This is just a dream, okay?"

 


A powerful slap on my face was all I could do for me to go back in reality. I hope this is effective. Maybe Jihyo is right. I'm going crazy. I should volunteer to go to another doctor tomorrow.

 


"Stop hurting yourself."

 


The palmar surface of her hands grasp the dorsal surface of my hands. No, she isn't real. Why can I feel her hands then? What made this feel so real?

 


"Kya!"


"Are you mute? You keep on saying 'Kya' as if it's the only word you know. Have you been watching horror movies before bedtime? You know it's not good."

 


Scanning her from up and down. Indeed! She was wearing another set of pajamas that I recently changed for my doll! With a tiny strength coming from me, my hands leaped its' way and pushed the person in front of me using my index finger. The latter flinched with my sudden action.

 


"Kya!"


"Nayeon unnie?!"


"Faster! Hide!", I pushed her away from my desk.


"Hide?"


"Stop asking questions! Just hide anywhere you want!", the latter moved as she was ordered.


"Is there something wrong, unnie?", the spare key Jihyo kept was used. "Unnie!"

 


My face showed drowsiness making Jihyo worry again. I'm back at it again. I'm on the floor again. Jihyo hurried towards me as she assisted me.

 


"Unnie! Why do you always fall?!"


"Maybe this bed is too small for me? Don't worry I will request a king-sized bed tomorrow."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After our schedules today, the doorbell alarmed all of us and I went there immediately. New bed. A larger one. I hope last night would be the last time that there would be a noise in my room. Still, the worry on Jihyo's face never left. The workers start to fix my new bed inside my room. An upgrade. After they left, I closed the door for a moment and opened my closet. There she was sitting well like an innocent doll.

 


"Yah. Talk.", I begged the doll to talk. "Was that really you coming every night? Or am I going crazy?"

 


No answer. It would be creepier if the doll would talk in its current form than it would be for a human to open its mouth.

 


"Unnie?"


"Kya!"


"What frightened you?", Momo shrieked together with me.


"Nothing."


"Your face looked like you have exophthalmos.", Mina was right behind Momo. "We are here to check up on you."


"Aish. Jihyo always did that though. Mina your choices of words!"


"Perhaps, do you feel anxious?", Mina stared at the ceiling as she talked such a condition to me."Fear of the unknown?"


"Fear?", I didn't mean to turn my head towards the doll I was holding.


"Should we just head out and enjoy our night together?", Momo proposed that to distract me from whatever is disturbing me.


"We are heading out?"


"I guess that'll do.", Mina nodded making me stand up.


"Aren't we bringing your doll with us?", Momo pointed on the doll when I left her be.


"No."

 


The distress in looking at that face made me say no. I know Mina is observing me why is there a sudden change in my mood as I said no. Mina, could you please stop?

 


"Ahh! You will make her lonely!", Momo pushed me outside as she was holding my doll in a football hold.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Americano.", the soft voice of Mina made the vibrance of the coffee shop better as we dared her to order for us.


"1 espresso, 1 caramel macchiato, 1 americano.", the guy wrote on his note. "Is this all?"


"Yeah."


"Why did we even bother to drink coffee when it's already nighttime.", Momo was overthinking that she might not sleep easily later.


"Nayeon unnie's idea. Just let her be.", Mina heaved a sigh. "Even though it's weird."

 

 

What they didn't know was that I need it to witness with both of my eyes, as awake as I am, what will happen this midnight. I hope espresso could help me. Here comes my espresso.

 


"Unnie!", the liquid started to make some pool waves on my doll's clothes. "Poor little fella! That must've hurt!"

 


Momo immediately wiped the clothes of my doll with her own tissue. I'm sorry. I just needed to do that. Half left for me, half for her. I need to find out later.

 


"Aish. Come on. It's not like that thing is alive. She didn't feel the burn.", Mina blew the hotness of her americano but her words built some shame on what I've done.


"I'm sorry.", a soft whimper came out from my mouth for my doll to hear if she ever felt it.


"Unnie, you were talking?", Momo noticed that.


"Nothing."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Shouldn't you change the clothes of your doll?", Momo volunteered to help but I stopped her from doing so.


"Let me the one to do it. I'm gonna wash her later before I go to sleep.", my index finger was lifted for a warning.


"If you say so.", she abided. "I'm gonna go back to my room then. Jal jayo."

 


She was about to leave but I want a question to be answered to lessen this anxious feeling I have. Just one question is enough to be answered.

 


"Ah! Momo!"


"Hmm?", that was fast.


"Umm.", tiptoe, tiptoe. "Do you find anything strange on your dolls?"

 


An eyebrow was raised from the sudden question I gave her. She was looking at my doll then back to me then back to my doll. A never-ending cycle.

 


"What do you mean by that?", she crossed her arms.


"Like, they move without you moving it."

 


Her eyes widened and I was hoping that she does experience the same thing as what I'm going through. I was expecting. She was running towards me and she grasped both my hands into her small hands. She does!

 


"Unnie!", she stopped breathing for a moment. "Do you have dementia for you to forget where you placed your doll?"

 


A question cannot be answered by another question, Momoring. That statement did not even provide me the answer I was looking for. Too much hope is not truly good.

 


"Go out.", I pushed her away as I was sulking. "Good night."


"Unnie-"


"Just please head out."

 

 

Ahh. My eyes feel heavy as I was watching the doll that was lying beside me. I should keep a close watch on her but I guess my body got used to the caffeine that it doesn't help me anymore. How many more minutes? I cannot handle this anymore. Closing 50%. Closing 100%. Opening 50%. Et cetera. Et cetera.

 


"Shh. Go to sleep.", there was a sudden pat on my head just as I was about to completely fall asleep.


"It is you!", I moved out on my bed and looked at the clock. "Ahh! I'm glad it's already midnight."

 

 

Her soft chuckle made me focus back on her. What's so funny about me? I remember! The coffee stain! I removed the blanket from her body as her clothes had the coffee stain. This ain't a joke!

 


"You are the doll!"


"The doll?", she just let me do and speak what I always did.


"Yes! The doll! You are the doll!", panic surfaced but I was reminded of the photo I took her. "Here, look at my phone."


"Yes, that's a doll.", she just nodded and went on what I am saying.


"That's not just a common doll!", my hands were moving vigorously. "That doll is you."


"Hmm?", I don't know what she might know but she just answered. "You are saying that I am a doll?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I remembered that I forgot to update last night! I'm so sorry! I hope someone will remind me. Hehe. (〒﹏〒)