Chapter 42: The Choice

Once Upon A Time (Twice's Nayeon x You)

 

 


Y/N's POV

 


"Isn't Nayeon coming with us?", I hesitated to mention her name, but I still did.


"Nope.", we were walking hand-in-hand.


"Even Momo, Jihyo, and Mina?"


"Nope."

 


People were sliding around a big Christmas tree in the center. The Christmas lights were reflecting on the ice.

 


"Ouch!", I reacted when a kid slid and fell. "I bet that hurts a lot!"

 

 

 

"Here you go.", Jeongyeon gave me shoes with a sharp metal below. "We are gonna enjoy our time here."

 


The man guarding the entrance, greeted us when he opened the gate for us to enter. My feet landed but it seems like I couldn't get my balance. I tried to look around and some people are using a guide while they are skating.

 


"I could try it!"


"Ahuh. No.", Jeongyeon laughed at me. "You don't need such a thing. All you need is me."

 


Jeongyeon held my hand tightly, then she waved at the people letting us pass on the center. How could Jeongyeon have such a great balance in this area? She kept on circling and circling creating screeches on the ice.

 


"Feeling good there?", she asked me a question.


"Cold."


"You always say that."


"How are you so good at this?"


"That's a secret.", she winked at me as her pace went faster than before. "You wouldn't enjoy this yourself if you would keep on holding me tight, Y/N."


"What are you suggesting, Jeongyeon?"

 


From the fast pace to a slower pace. The hand that was holding me to guide me and to prevent me from falling, lightened its grip.

 


"Don't do this.", I'm shaking as I closed my eyes. "I swear, don't ever do this. I'll hate you."

 


I looked around to see if people are looking on my side. It would be shameful enough if what happened to that kid would happen to me.

 


"Relax. I'll release you sooner so you could do it on your own. It would be more fun. You'll get used to the ice. Wait in a couple of minutes."


"Jeongyeon, don't let me go!"


"Huh?"


"I said-"

 


On a straight pathway, I wasn't able to feel the hands that were holding me. How could she let go of me like that?

 


"Off you go!", am I a joke to you?


"Ahhh!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nayeon's POV

 


"Y/N where?", Mina just went directly into my room. "Jeongyeon isn't even in her room. Something's up?"

 


It's been an hour and even if I tried to make myself lose consciousness, I cannot because of this heaviness.

 


"What's with the mood?"


"Nothing.", I tried to go back to sleep again. "I'm tired. Could you go back to your room now?"


"Yeah. Emotions could drain your energy.", Mina refused as she sat beside me. "You were forcing yourself to accept that Jeongyeon was to confess her feelings?"


"Cause I don't want to be selfish!"


"Is that so? Is it being selfish having feelings for a person?", she moved away. "Is it selfish to love?"


"It's not selfish to love, but it's selfish to love someone even though that person cannot reciprocate your feelings!"


"With selfishness, who are you talking about? Is it you being selfish or her?"


"I'm selfish!"


"That's wrong.", she lifted my face. "Say, what if Y/N doesn't like either the two of you? What if Y/N likes me-"


"Cut off the chase, Mina. Don't tell me you like her too?"


"Stop talking for a moment.", she raised her hands. "What if Y/N likes me, but I don't like her in return? Is it good for Y/N to force herself to stop having that kind of feeling just because I don't love her in return? You would comfort her in a way that she couldn't with herself, right?"


"H-huh?"


"I'm saying that it's more selfish if you stop loving the person just because that person doesn't like you. It's selfish for yourself because you are trying to do what you wouldn't want to do in the first place. Let the water flow on you."

 


That knocked some sense out of me. Mina was punching me with her words. I never should stop loving her then. I could still stop myself, who is drowning by doing it for myself if she's not there to save me. Who knows? Maybe she's also drowning on her own.

 


"Did Y/N completely rejected you? She's just dense on knowing her true feelings."


"She turned her back on me. How should I interpret her action?"


"Well, what do women from the past decades were doing every time they know a lover has an eye on her?"


"What should I do now?"


"The choice of Y/N is your basis on what you should do."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Y/N's POV

 


I was skating like a swan or that's what I just thought I was doing. This is a slower pace, so I don't think I'll have an accident sooner. Jeongyeon was looking at me like she was proud of me. Her eyes speak a different thing though.

 


"Gracious."


"Huh?"

 


She's smiling ear to ear while she's looking at me and her eyes were glittering as the Christmas lights reflected on it.

 


"Yah! Careful!"


"Jeongyeon-ya!"

 

 


Splash! My hurts. I don't want to open my eyes anymore as I was afraid that people are staring at me like how adults would, whenever the little me would stumble when I'm running fast. I can't dare to look at their faces. I'm so ashamed of myself.

 


"Are you alright?", yet someone held me and took off the strands of my hair blocking my eyes. "Don't worry. You could open your eyes. I'll block the view so they won't see you."

 


I tried to open my eyes and I saw that I bumped into a curve of the small gate. Jeongyeon hypnotized me, making me unable to see what's in front of me.

 


"Stop blocking the view.", I sulked as I saw the people looking at me, then turned around as if nothing had happened. "Aish. I'm so clumsy."


"Yeah. Like a kid."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"This ain't coffee, this is hot chocolate.", Jeongyeon offered me the dark drink.


"What's the difference?"


"Just drink then you'll have your preference."


"And this one's a marshmallow.", I pointed to the small whites that were floating and melting on my drink. "Oh no! Not too fast!"

 


My fingers clutched to get the leftover marshmallows on the drink. Feeling the redness of my face, I shrieked softly.

 


"Why did you just do that?!", Jeongyeon grabbed my hand and placed some tissues on it.


"Cause why would someone place the marshmallow on the drink?! That's a waste of this puffy food!", I felt like crying because of the burning sensation. "This is stupid."


"Aish. This kid.", Jeongyeon chuckled. "Could you please just drink it? I'm gonna buy a set of marshmallows if you'd like."

 


I followed Jeongyeon and drank the hot chocolate that she was talking about. It's somehow sweet and is very different than the bitter coffee. This is soothing. I can't explain. I could like both. The choice is mine anyway.

 


"We're no longer kids, but this could soothe an adult.", Jeongyeon is back carrying a stick of marshmallow with her, then the flame was set on the wood in front of us.


"Ahh! Give it to me! I know how to do this, and I enjoy doing it!", the marshmallows were stable as it was torched by the burning flames. "You're gonna want more if you could taste the marshmallow I roasted!"


"Yeah! Cause it's the only thing you knew how to cook.", she chuckled, making me frown.


"Rude.", it was scorched in a good way, so I took it and gave it to Jeongyeon. "Try it now!"

 


I didn't eat mine yet, since I was focused on her reaction to my simple recipe. Her face turned sour making me think that I did it wrongfully.

 


"Is it that bad?"


"It's.", she was facing herself and acted out like she's going to throw up. "The best! Gotcha!"

 


A fire couldn't be seen well and her shadow was visible because she stood up and blocked the view of the fire like she was doing some celebration in front of the fire.

 


"You're simply the best!"


"Yah! You are always the joker one, aren't you?", I rolled my eyes. "I won't take you seriously next time."


"I will.", the fire was covered. "I will take you seriously when it comes to this."


"When it comes to what?"

 


I was about to taste the marshmallow, but I think I tasted a different thing. Soft and also sweet.

 


"When it comes to love.", it was her lips. "I'll take you seriously."

 


Her eyes were begging me to accept her. The choice that all of them had been waiting for. What should be my answer? To whom do I truly belong?

 


"Jeongyeon."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nayeon's POV

 


It was an inviting morning making me wake up without paying attention to myself. I immediately went out and saw Jeongyeon was already in the living room watching TV. I hate to talk to her. I don't want to ask her what happened last night.

 


"Had a good night last night?", I fetched myself a drink and tried to talk it out, so that I won't come out as a bitter one.


"Yes."


"Did she give the choice?", I was hoping for no.


"Yes."


"Congratulations.", I gave her a fake clap. "I'm happy for you."


"I'm happy for us."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:


Are you guys ready for the ending?!!!!!! 🥳🥳🥳